Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is There Anything We HAVEN'T Heard?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 24, 2012 2:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A friend in New Zealand just shared this with me

• October 21, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL (1 OF 4) CLASSIC GRAPEVINE COMPILATION 1980

• October 1, 2012 5:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about some Turkish instro-psych?

Hayvanlar Alemi even make Lambada sound cool! From 2010 album on Sublime Frequencies

• October 1, 2012 2:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love the fact this thread will never die.

Here's something I discovered just this morning.

• October 1, 2012 2:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Screamin' Jay Hawkins did a fairly weird cover of this song. Not this weird though.

John Battles said:

HE'S NOT KIDDING , EITHER !

Bry Nylon said:

OK here above is a pic of the label of one of our little gems

methinks life's too short to simply restrict yourself to the good stuff - many of you of course may already know of this one - but for the benefit of those who don't - here it is again  

(oh no !!!)

...anyway I posted this one a while back elsewhere on GRGPNK hideout -

Burt Ward ( Boy Wonder from the original '60's Batman TV series - is here paired up with Frank Zappa - ouch) ...copies of this 45 seem to be promos ( I have never seen a 'standard issue' ) -  the B side of this 45 is called 'orange coloured skies' - and unbelievably it is even worse ... in fact it is so bad ...that it makes all of William Shatners output seem positively tuneful !!!! 

be very afraid

• September 30, 2012 3:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Screamo-core

Erik Johannes Matze said:

Screamoo!

• September 30, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Screamoo!

• January 16, 2012 7:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HE'S NOT KIDDING , EITHER !

Bry Nylon said:

OK here above is a pic of the label of one of our little gems

methinks life's too short to simply restrict yourself to the good stuff - many of you of course may already know of this one - but for the benefit of those who don't - here it is again  

(oh no !!!)

...anyway I posted this one a while back elsewhere on GRGPNK hideout -

Burt Ward ( Boy Wonder from the original '60's Batman TV series - is here paired up with Frank Zappa - ouch) ...copies of this 45 seem to be promos ( I have never seen a 'standard issue' ) -  the B side of this 45 is called 'orange coloured skies' - and unbelievably it is even worse ... in fact it is so bad ...that it makes all of William Shatners output seem positively tuneful !!!! 

be very afraid

• January 16, 2012 7:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's so many things , individually , and collectively , we'll never hear. That might be too bad for us on one level , but , too good for us on another.

Ted Knight "Hi , Guys" - A whole LP of novelty songs , "Sung" by Knight , as Ted Baxter.

I got shot down pretty bad , yesterday. I have nothing to lose by admitting I own and like the album.

I'm also listening to a lot of exploitaion Rock LPs from the 60's and 70's , like The Haircuts and The Impossibles ,  The 31 Flavors , The Firebirds (Probably all the same studio hacks , I mean , cats.).  I have one that has a remake of Cheech and Chong's protopunk classic , "Earache My Eye". I mean , whoever it is , they re- recorded both the song AND the comedy routine. But Los Punk Rockers , from Spain , take  the cake. Maybe some of you have , or have heard , that.

It was a tremendously inept studio "Band" , doing the entire "Never Mind The Bollocks" album. You still won't believe it , if you hear it. Last I checked , there was one song on youtube. I reviewed a bootleg of it , several years ago , and Gary Pig Gold wrote in and said he had an audience , recently , with John Lydon , who was keen to hear it. 

• January 10, 2012 12:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I read an entry about foreign hip-hop, but are there any Seeds fans out there?

Joe - Prolitika

• January 9, 2012 6:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

They are pretty. Doesn't Garry Bushell call for Variety to be brought back (he used to live near me)?

swt said:

I just watched the DVD featuring The Ed Sullivan Show with the first Rolling Stones appearance in 1964. I love those old variety shows. Ed would have the hip new mod a go-go bands, Borscht Belt comics, circus acts, Broadway productions, readings of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", puppets, magicians .... you name it.

On the same show as the first Stones appearance was this musical act, 3 sexy Koreans, The Kim Sisters. And though I couldn't find the songs they did on Sullivan (one was a gospel tune, the other involved bagpipes), they're all over YouTube

• January 9, 2012 6:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , no-one could replace Crazy Charlie ...but BB seems to be carrying his torch if you will .  The Huns ...glad you mentioned them , i got in touch with one of the guys from the band on Garage Punk Hideout ( in its old incarnation) & he kindly sent me the album , that i had long since lost , i never got around to thanking him properly , i feel bad , so if he's still on here or someone knows how i can get in touch , please let me know !

John Battles said:

Derek (Bloodshot Bill) would be tickled to hear that , tho' NO ONE could take Charlie Feathers' place. Also , Charlie's son , Bubba , puts on one of the best Rockabilly shows you'll ever see , WITHOUT Stray Cats ' dos "Vintage " threads or standup Bass.       Yeah , I was really into The Stingrays , too. They got lumped into the "Psychobilly" thing , just because they had a standup bass...I kept all their old records , so , maybe , I'll dig 'em out , soon. 

My friend used to work with their Guitarist (Mark?). Alec Palao , of course , came here , to the land of milk and cold beer , and has since played Bass with  The Magic Christians and the latter day Chocolate Watchband , and works with Ace/Big Beat , his "G.S. I Love You" series (Japanese Group Sound .) should be his proudest achievement....to date.        I even have a Vibes 12" EP.  Time was , if you could find that stuff at all in the states , you could find it cheap , because no one wanted it. Anyone remember The Huns? They were Americans from the Midwest (One of 'em played baseball on the grounds of my old Public School in Glenview , Illinois) who joined the Prisoners /Stingrays / Milkshakes axis in The UK. I need to listen to their EP again - Like The Cannibals with Stoogey Guitar and maybe somewhat more irreverent humor.

Lucky La Rocka said:

YAY, another fan of english early 80s Garage !!!!  My formative years , one of the best gigs ever for me was The Stingrays & Vibes at Retford Porterhouse ....great days !

Bloodshot Bill is great ....a worthy successor to Charlie Feathers !

SarahJayne said:

It's for this reason that I don't limit my tastes to just a few genres. I can find at least one song I'll dig from ANY genre - even mainstream pop music, lol.

As far as 60s style tunes, I'm big on the whole trash revival that evolved from the early psychobilly scene, and consider those bands underrated. THE VIBES (!!!!!), Russian Roulette (pick up the 'fuckin' car 7" if you're into the Cramps), Stingrays, etc. etc. Garage covers with an upright bass, fuck yeah!

I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for them : ).

PS, new G&R blows. Amen.
    • October 26, 2011 7:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tasty post. My inspection gives a Grade A and my vast playlist of chicken song's seems to find no end!  

swt said:
      Just got this Brazilian one-man band's CD today

• October 25, 2011 1:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just watched the DVD featuring The Ed Sullivan Show with the first Rolling Stones appearance in 1964. I love those old variety shows. Ed would have the hip new mod a go-go bands, Borscht Belt comics, circus acts, Broadway productions, readings of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", puppets, magicians .... you name it.

On the same show as the first Stones appearance was this musical act, 3 sexy Koreans, The Kim Sisters. And though I couldn't find the songs they did on Sullivan (one was a gospel tune, the other involved bagpipes), they're all over YouTube

• October 22, 2011 1:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I haven't seen these mentioned and I don't know if these are too obvious, but I'd recommend the following:

Omar Khorshid

The Orient Express

The Devil's Anvil

John Berberian

• October 18, 2011 5:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Derek (Bloodshot Bill) would be tickled to hear that , tho' NO ONE could take Charlie Feathers' place. Also , Charlie's son , Bubba , puts on one of the best Rockabilly shows you'll ever see , WITHOUT Stray Cats ' dos "Vintage " threads or standup Bass.       Yeah , I was really into The Stingrays , too. They got lumped into the "Psychobilly" thing , just because they had a standup bass...I kept all their old records , so , maybe , I'll dig 'em out , soon. 

My friend used to work with their Guitarist (Mark?). Alec Palao , of course , came here , to the land of milk and cold beer , and has since played Bass with  The Magic Christians and the latter day Chocolate Watchband , and works with Ace/Big Beat , his "G.S. I Love You" series (Japanese Group Sound .) should be his proudest achievement....to date.        I even have a Vibes 12" EP.  Time was , if you could find that stuff at all in the states , you could find it cheap , because no one wanted it. Anyone remember The Huns? They were Americans from the Midwest (One of 'em played baseball on the grounds of my old Public School in Glenview , Illinois) who joined the Prisoners /Stingrays / Milkshakes axis in The UK. I need to listen to their EP again - Like The Cannibals with Stoogey Guitar and maybe somewhat more irreverent humor.

Lucky La Rocka said:

YAY, another fan of english early 80s Garage !!!!  My formative years , one of the best gigs ever for me was The Stingrays & Vibes at Retford Porterhouse ....great days !

Bloodshot Bill is great ....a worthy successor to Charlie Feathers !

SarahJayne said:

It's for this reason that I don't limit my tastes to just a few genres. I can find at least one song I'll dig from ANY genre - even mainstream pop music, lol.

As far as 60s style tunes, I'm big on the whole trash revival that evolved from the early psychobilly scene, and consider those bands underrated. THE VIBES (!!!!!), Russian Roulette (pick up the 'fuckin' car 7" if you're into the Cramps), Stingrays, etc. etc. Garage covers with an upright bass, fuck yeah!

I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for them : ).

PS, new G&R blows. Amen.
    • October 18, 2011 2:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just got this Brazilian one-man band's CD today

• October 17, 2011 9:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tigres Del Norte ARE great , and , then , you have all the great Mexican and South American Rock'n'Roll from the very early 60's , well into the 70's , and even some still - active bands that have been around forever like El Tri and Heavy Nopal , or Punk bands like Los Yaps or Rebel D'Punk....When Brave Combo started out (Very Late 70's - Early 80's.) , they were more like a Punk - Polka band...Or at least , Garage - Polka . I used to go see them until about '86 , WHEN THEY STARTED GETTING ALL SERIOUS AND PLAYING "wORLD mUSIC".

BUT , THE POLKAHOLICS , POLKACIDE , LULU and Her Polka Casserole , DEFINITELY The future of Punk Polka. Wish I could say the same for Those Darn Accordions , but , the last time I saw them , they had some 'TUDE on 'em , and were visiting all these lame 80's themes , musically.

swt said:

Some of my obscure favorites:

1) Polish rocker KAZIK STASZEWSKI, who sometimes records with his band KULT. I don't understand the language, but he's like the Polish Nick Cave. Some great stuff. He's done "tribute" albums to Tom Waits and Kurt Weil (except that one has a version of Cave's "Mercy Seat" for some reason. Sometimes he strays off into a weird style of Polish hip hop, which I'm not crazy about. But basically Kazik rocks. I was playing Kazik on my iPod in my car when I stopped to get gas this morning. A cop was there filling up in front of me. Boy did he look at me weird as Kazik bellowed some strange drunken Polish lament.

2) Punk Polka. The music of bands like Polkacide and The Polkaholics is great fun. Also I enjoy Waila, a style of polka performed by American Indians in southern Arizona. I'm not kidding.

3) Los Tigres del Norte -- pioneers of Narcocorrido, are great.

4) Fooling around on the Calabash Music site, I discovered some weird twisted blues from Turkey and Romania, both of which use elements of their native folk musics mixed in with good old American blues. Here's my review of that a couple of years back: http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/2006/01/terrells-tune-up-internati...
      The bands are Nightloser (Romania) and Istanbul Blues Kumpanyasi (Turkey)

After I do my Christmas podcast in a couple of weeks I'm going to do a world music podcast with some of this stuff. It definitely won;t be yor typical world-beat weenie show.
    • September 28, 2011 5:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It sounds a lot like The Stone Roses.

Has anyone mentioned the late Ros Sereysothea, Pan Ron and Sinn Sisamouth. All three were murdered by the Khmer Rouge, which is more tragic because they were so talented (Ros was very pretty too).

http://youtu.be/sKzj5kDOVKswt

said:

I found one of WITCH's songs (it's a Youtube, but video, just music)

NIGHT BEATS said:
      listen to WITCH
      (we intend to cause havoc) 70's zambian rock and roll. amazing
    • September 28, 2011 4:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

or this

• September 28, 2011 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

check out this guy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel