Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is There Anything We HAVEN'T Heard?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 9, 2008 12:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Brother Panti, You probably already heard of them, but i'll shoot it out there...Group Inerane. Here a description: Group Inerane is the now sound of the Tuareg Guitar Revolution sweeping across the Sahara Desert and inspired by the rebel musicians that started this music as a political weapon used to communicate from the Libyan Refugee camps in the 1980s and 1990s. Spearheaded by the enigmatic guitar hero Bibi Ahmed, Group Inerane has been together for several years and carries the rich tradition of Tamachek guitar songs for another generation. These ten tracks are a combination of amplified roots rock, blues, and folk in the local Tuareg styles at times entering into full-on electric guitar psychedelia. This music is performed with two electric guitars, a drum kit and a chorus of vocalists. The recordings were captured live in the city of Agadez in the Republic of Niger. Group Inerane was also featured in the Sublime Frequencies DVD “Niger: Magic and Ecstasy in the Sahel”. Recorded by Hisham Mayet, this is the second Sublime Frequencies Vinyl Release. 180 gram vinyl, full-color gatefold jacket, and limited one-time pressing of 1000 copies. You can youtube them and Sublime Frequencies too. Oh and you can't forget one of the orginal fuzz guitars! Shamisen baby!
    • December 9, 2008 1:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's for this reason that I don't limit my tastes to just a few genres. I can find at least one song I'll dig from ANY genre - even mainstream pop music, lol. As far as 60s style tunes, I'm big on the whole trash revival that evolved from the early psychobilly scene, and consider those bands underrated. THE VIBES (!!!!!), Russian Roulette (pick up the 'fuckin' car 7" if you're into the Cramps), Stingrays, etc. etc. Garage covers with an upright bass, fuck yeah! I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for them : ). PS, new G&R blows. Amen.
    • December 8, 2008 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Well, we just did another episode of Sonic Nightmares which turned out a little on the dull side (due to the fact we were all burned out by another fantastic weekend in Bern). The music from Gringo Starr and myself was miserably above average garage music while Beat-Man and El Tiki sent some weird and wild stuff out into the Internet airwaves. But this discussion taught me to practice what I preach, so I'm surely gonna be playing some stranger tracks in the near future!

Whatwave Dave: Bloodshot Bill is damn cool stuff for sure, I think he's in the new Slowboat Film called The Folk Singer, a real cool film about modern men trying to sing their way through life, a MUST see!

Ethan: Thanks for the JimJonesRevue link. Jim has fronted Thee Hypnotics and Black Moses, so he knows what the hell he's doing, or he should by now...

Micheal: CHIPCORE, there we go!!
    • December 8, 2008 3:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've found alot of cool and unusual stuff in off-the-wall soundtracks. Everything from Drepung Loseling monk chants to Chinese village songs (I think this was on Pillow Book soundtrack). At any rate, they served as a good starting point. Mainly on art house and b movie stuff.

I gotta be honest- found lots of new things wandering around myspace on my lunch hour. I had no idea that using those old computer and gaming chips to make music had as big a following. Of course, they had to give the genre a name, chipcore. If you find something or someone interesting on myspace, click on the bands in their friends section, can lead to fun stuff.

But I guess none of that stuff is new.
    • December 7, 2008 12:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not quite a new thing but one of the best Rock n' Roll-Blues-Boogie kind of Band I've seen out there in quite while. And a hell of a ride live. http://www.myspace.com/thejimjonesrevue
    • December 5, 2008 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been hearing lots of bands from the 60s garage scene of New Zealand. It's great to do it, choose a country and then search for it's musical scene (good musical scene, for sure) 'til you get tired, and then you choose another country and so it goes... But yes, hearing all the good stuff available around the world would take a lot more then a lifetime.
    • December 5, 2008 11:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BR>
      Is anyone else here taking notes?? Yep. i am....and this is one of the most interesting topics that's been in the garage punk hideout for ages...it actually woke me up! Lately i've been digging the really primal modern stuff like Bloodshot Bill...he's a one man band that they call rockabilly, but there's SO much more to what he does...he almost yodels when he sings while bashing a primitive drum kit and slashing a beat up guitar...it's totally wild. And in a slightly similar style is The Venus Flytrap One Girl Band....again, one person band with primitive guitar and drums...but the way she sings is like she's just visiting us from another planet...so far out there. Both of these people have myspace sites that feature music and vids...and from their myspace sites are links to lots more cool one man bands. I'm also getting more and more into African music these days, Fela Kuti and all of his offspring, west coast psyche music from the 60's and 70's...anything that's out there. Saw an African Pygmy band a couple of years back at a local world beat fest and they just blew me away....absolutely NO connection to the modern world. They did some kind of chants that were almost hypnotic...no records or CD's of them at that time. Wish'd i'd tape that, but it probably wouldn't be quite the same without the visuals of this line of very short people, arranged from shortest to tallest wearing totally Non-North American apparel...couldn't call what they were wearing as clothes in the conventional form. And yes, i'm constantly searching for more stuff that's way out there to keep me satisfied.
    • December 5, 2008 7:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

hey guys...

yeah yeah yeah... for sure this is getting interesting.

SWT: thanks for the tips, will be looking into those...

Howie: I just checked out pics of you in your record romper room, wow! I've had the pleasure of some of my best friends having collections like you. And you are right, it's usually the best source to find something wacky and weird for sure. What I would totally dig from you is just a tip or two, just point a few weird records out. Maybe some South America Samba gospel garage jazz sampler that recently came out...

Stig: Thermos Malling is one of the true great artists and one of my biggest inspiration! The Spectral Light & Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree sounds interesting, gonna dig around for that one right now, thanks!!

Is anyone else here taking notes??
    • December 5, 2008 5:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

maaan...there's so much! i have like 30,000 records & whenever i go to another record collectors place (especially norton records HQ or Dick Blackburn's pad) i find hundreds of records i have never heard of...also there's wild garage, soul, rockabilly, weirdness from poland, china, everywhere! i could sent ya links for years to come just from ebay alone...ya gotta look elsewhere...everywhere...and meet likeminded lunatics! and raid their record collection...
    • December 4, 2008 6:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

fuck, that's it! this video proves there is something out there, doesn't matter if it's 50's greek or 30's mayan, this is the direction i was hoping for... does anyone want some sausage?
    • December 4, 2008 4:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I also like this:
    • December 4, 2008 11:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...or from 8ts and today bands?
    • December 4, 2008 11:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

would you be interested in greek beat - greek garage from the 6ts?
    • December 4, 2008 4:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Wow, this is getting good. My feeling is that teen angst is universal (As well as adult-angst) but since our culture has tried to make a product from this music, forms and structures get quickly copied and you get recording waves like Rockabilly, Surf, Garage to whatever... I'm loving where this is thread can go because I believe there is this 'red line' going through all kinds of music which is created by the younger musicians having to prove themselves to the elders. Call it tribal punk if you want, that's what I think I'm looking for to some extent.

Great responses so far!!
    • December 4, 2008 12:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Some of my obscure favorites: 1) Polish rocker KAZIK STASZEWSKI, who sometimes records with his band KULT. I don't understand the language, but he's like the Polish Nick Cave. Some great stuff. He's done "tribute" albums to Tom Waits and Kurt Weil (except that one has a version of Cave's "Mercy Seat" for some reason. Sometimes he strays off into a weird style of Polish hip hop, which I'm not crazy about. But basically Kazik rocks. I was playing Kazik on my iPod in my car when I stopped to get gas this morning. A cop was there filling up in front of me. Boy did he look at me weird as Kazik bellowed some strange drunken Polish lament. 2) Punk Polka. The music of bands like Polkacide and The Polkaholics is great fun. Also I enjoy Waila, a style of polka performed by American Indians in southern Arizona. I'm not kidding. 3) Los Tigres del Norte -- pioneers of Narcocorrido, are great. 4) Fooling around on the Calabash Music site, I discovered some weird twisted blues from Turkey and Romania, both of which use elements of their native folk musics mixed in with good old American blues. Here's my review of that a couple of years back: http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/2006/01/terrells-tune-up-internati... The bands are Nightloser (Romania) and Istanbul Blues Kumpanyasi (Turkey) After I do my Christmas podcast in a couple of weeks I'm going to do a world music podcast with some of this stuff. It definitely won;t be yor typical world-beat weenie show.
    • December 3, 2008 11:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

While I don't have any interesting examples of genre mashups to offer, I've posted some myspace links to recent Oz bands in the Antipodean Attacks Group if anyone's interested.
    • December 3, 2008 8:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gotcha. I'll be keeping an eye out for additions here and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_genres Looking forward to the undiscovered genre gems. Sorry I have none. I always wanted to hear a band play in a real cave though. Definitely can rock out to weird African Tribal rhythms, but can only tolerate Russian folk music (certainly not to be confused with Russian doom metal) in limited doses unless I'm the one singing it torturing others -- then I can stand on the rooftop all night. My first taste of this was at church masses spoken & sung in Russian Ukranian followed up by God awful stuff that made me cringe. The only redeeming factor was the fact that it was unheard and very different from what I like/d. Think the Russians, for me, are better off just doing drinking songs. Radio Moscow would probably not be a station I'd frequently turn on. It's funny talking about metal though, too, because alot of countries NOW, are really known for that industrial, dark sounding music and it's really, really hard to find what rocks me there. Way back, especially Communist countries, would probably pique my interest with the stuff they weren't allowed to play inspired by U.S. bands - with a Russian (for instance) take on songs. I like that certain music being restricted (not that this is a good thing at the core) was the catalyst for an underground hub which is where the nuggets I'd like to hear, but never have, hide. Now I'm curious to see what will surface. What about Yiddish?
    • December 3, 2008 6:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

i'm not saying i've heard it all, but i'm ready for more... and I'm just talking plain good stuff, music that rocks ya a little but in a new unheard of style... North African Metal, you know?
    • December 3, 2008 5:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't think it's possible to hear it all in a lifetime.

There's other continents if you've exhausted this one. Many genres. French Ye Ye, Singapore, Mexicali, Australia, Germany...

To be able to hear it all is an illusion. Use Your Illusion. Which reminds me, I can boast I've heard all Guns N Roses albums since Appetite For Destruction.
    • July 13, 2014 10:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This was one of my favorite threads in the old Hideout. Well worth keeping alive. I thought of it today when I heard this song on a Native American radio show (Singing Wire, KUNM, Albuquerque)
      Brother Panti-Christ said:
      Howdy Folks... I think the part I really like about this community is that we have a pretty focused taste in music, surely based around garage punk. But damn, I've been listening to '66 garage since I was a kid. And I've been around the block and thought I heard it all. SO, in this day and age i am still digging in record bins looking for eras of lost styles from Surf to Blues to Country to Swing to Psych to Punk to Trash to whatever...( i could keep going on here ) My point being, Is there any cool undiscovered stuff?? Have we heard it all?? Weird African Tribe records or Russian Folk music has been turning me on so much lately because I NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE!! I would love to turn you on with my records via Sonic Nightmares radio show here at GaragePunk.com so if you think you might have something tasty, i dunno, some cajun hillbilly soul music or something, post it here in this discussion so we all can take a leap into some muddier waters. We all deserve it, so put on your thinking caps and let's blow each others minds... and hopefully stop talking about the new Guns N Roses release... with glove Brother Panti-Christ

• July 14, 2014 12:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmmm.... Haven't heard Stars (Syd Barrett , Twink ,ca. 1972.)

The Plastic Dipshit Band (Thrown together band that subbed for a no -show group at The Cincinatti Pop Festival , with Cub Koda , Suzi and Michael Quatro , and I think Nancy and Patti Quatro and others. 1971? Not the festival that was on TV.).

Noel Redding Band (With Eric Bell - ex Thin Lizzy , Them.) Saw it the other day , though.  Obviously , I could look it up on You Tube or Something.

Gene Vincent backed by The Alice Cooper Group . Toronto Rock'n'Roll Revival , 1969.

Gene Vincent with Billy Zoom on Guitar , L.A. , circa 1970 - 71.

Elvis and Tom Jones on the same fucking stage (There is at least one picture.).

• November 7, 2014 6:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Harper Valley Norway

• November 8, 2014 2:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NOW THAT  I'VE HEARD IT , i LIKE IT. WISH i'D NEVER HEARD NORWEIGAN BLACK METAL , BUT , WHAT CAN YOU DO ?

• April 5, 2015 1:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

How about a Romanian Bear Dance?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel