Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: NOV. 16th screening of "TEEN A-GO-GO" Documentary

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 5, 2008 11:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

On Nov. 16th at the Lone Star Film Festival in Fort Worth, TX there will be a first public screening of a new doctumentary called "TEEN A-GO-GO". Initially inspired by the FW Teen Scene comps, this documentary looks at bands formed during the classic garageband period in the mid sixties using interviews, found footage and photos. There are interviews with a lot of really great FW garage bands like the Elite, Larry & the Bluenotes, the Barons; and interviews with other bands from other parts of the country and interesting comments from garagepunk "experts". I've seen it and it was better than I thought it was gonna be (expectations were low since the people that made it aren't really hardcore garagepunk freaks like us). There is some really great old footage in it and some of the interviews and stories are funny. There are some really insightful comments from Ira Robbins (of Trouser Press fame), funnyman Billy Miller, and from Texas writer and Fort Worth native Joe Nick Patowski (this guy really nails it describing why FW had so many cool bands). It was cool hearing so many great songs on the soundtrack (my favorite: "It's Been A Long Journey" by the Roots...Begin argument here about how the Roots weren't from Fort Worth...but it was released on a Fort Worth record label!...sorry, I was having a Garagepunk.com flashback). This probably isn't going to be released theatrically, but may make it to DVD someday. You might be able to see it on your local PBS station eventually (especially in Texas). This thing is not going to knock your socks like you wish it would but it's interesting and fun and there isn't really anything else like it that I know of, so that alone makes it worth seeing for those of us interested in the "garagepunk collecting hobby". Check it out here: http://lsiff.bside.com/2008/films/teenagogo_lsiff2008
    • April 5, 2010 1:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely check out your link! ultimate dvd duplicator here Alberto said:
      hello

would like to trade for rare video/DVD shows of garage-punk
      I have tons to trade at www.freewebs.com/almudeno69

send your lists

thanks
    • March 6, 2010 10:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It has been too long since I have been on here. Our hard drive crashed a year ago that held the movie on it. I have since repaired and re-edited the film - it's a better movie now in my opinion. We would love to have your help and anyone else for that matter in setting up european and east caost tour dates. teen a Go Go is on it's way to Hon Kong in 2 weeks for th Asian Film Mart... wish us luck! Please email me at melissak.filmgirl@gmail.com for any information or booking inquiries! BIG HUGS! -Melissa Gringo Starr said:
      I don't know how I could have missed this post!! This looks really great! Mouse and the Traps! Larry and the Bluenotes!!! Arrrrgh! Wow, and Lenny Kaye and Billy Miller along for the ride with some expert commentary to boot! Fantastic!

To Melissa: I would be interested in organizing a screening/show in Bern, Switzerland (the home of Voodoo Rhythm Records & Reverend Beat-Man, of course) if you and the film make it to Europe. Drop me a line here and keep me
      updated.

--Gringo
    • December 14, 2008 10:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know how I could have missed this post!! This looks really great! Mouse and the Traps! Larry and the Bluenotes!!! Arrrrgh! Wow, and Lenny Kaye and Billy Miller along for the ride with some expert commentary to boot! Fantastic!

To Melissa: I would be interested in organizing a screening/show in Bern, Switzerland (the home of Voodoo Rhythm Records & Reverend Beat-Man, of course) if you and the film make it to Europe. Drop me a line here and keep me
      updated.

--Gringo
    • December 13, 2008 11:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hello would like to trade for rare video/DVD shows of garage-punk I have tons to trade at www.freewebs.com/almudeno69 send your lists thanks
    • November 26, 2008 4:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Melissa! I'm a promoter/booking agent from Montreal of a new production company, Teenbeat Takeover!, and would be interested in showing your documentary for a public screening... Please contact me via email if there is interest on your part: oliverbesner@sympatico.ca Thanks! melissa said:
      Ya sure... I'll pay what we are paying ourselves... bet you can guess how much that is...LOL! Seriously, thanks again... And as for screenings in LA - yes we hope to do something there eventually. It will be awhile before we screen anywhere agian - film fests and distributors both have weird rules about public screenings.... ...
    • November 21, 2008 10:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ya sure... I'll pay what we are paying ourselves... bet you can guess how much that is...LOL! Seriously, thanks again... And as for screenings in LA - yes we hope to do something there eventually. It will be awhile before we screen anywhere agian - film fests and distributors both have weird rules about public screenings.... ...
    • November 19, 2008 3:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Melissa...I'm getting a check for this promotional work I'm doing here, right?
    • November 19, 2008 11:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm sure the documentary will do well in other cities but the after party won't be the same as the original screening. You guys had Larry & The Blue Notes, The Elite & The Excels on the same stage all in one night. That would have blown my mind! I hope there will be a screening in LA, I'll go for sure. On a side note does anyone have any info of future shows the above mentioned bands will be doing? I would love to catch these guys in action. Thanks melissa said:
      Hey, wow! I'm the director of Teen A Go Go... I was just surfing looking for any nods we might have gotten... and this is great! Thank you for the interest and nice comments... To those of you asking about future screenings in europe and dvds - we are planning on both... Are there any film fests you can recommend over there? We are interested Berlin, but that is a yeara way now...By the way, we would love to always have a Battle of the Bands Jam after each festival screening or special screenings no matter where it takes place... I thought it would be cool to have bands from whatever town we are in play these parties... so in essence we can shine light on garage bands everywhere we go!!

Zorch Surfer said:
      I can't believe I missed this. I am so bummed! Why the hell don't I check this site more often. Excuse me while I jump out the window....
    • November 19, 2008 11:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, wow! I'm the director of Teen A Go Go... I was just surfing looking for any nods we might have gotten... and this is great! Thank you for the interest and nice comments... To those of you asking about future screenings in europe and dvds - we are planning on both... Are there any film fests you can recommend over there? We are interested Berlin, but that is a yeara way now...By the way, we would love to always have a Battle of the Bands Jam after each festival screening or special screenings no matter where it takes place... I thought it would be cool to have bands from whatever town we are in play these parties... so in essence we can shine light on garage bands everywhere we go!! Zorch Surfer said:
      I can't believe I missed this. I am so bummed! Why the hell don't I check this site more often. Excuse me while I jump out the window....
    • November 18, 2008 1:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 18, 2008 3:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i feel nothing but sheer jealousy now!and a battle of the bands after the screening?what else you want out of music in your town?
    • November 17, 2008 2:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Last night was the first local public screening of TEEN A GO-GO to a warm and enthusiastic sold out crowd. The audience seemed to really like it, but it was made up of band members and their families and friends, so they weren't gonna like boo it or anything even if they didn't like it. The fun part was the after-party, with a battle of the bands (The Excels, The Mods, The Elite, Larry & the Blue Notes and John Nitzinger of the Barons) complete with go-go girls and voting for your favorite band. Larry & the Blue Notes were great (check them out at the Ponderosa Stomp show at the next SXSW), followed closely by the Elite. It's still hard for me to believe that my town's garage scene produced 3 volumes of FW Teen Scene AND now a doctumentary. It's just awesome to me that the tunes and the bands and the guys that made the music have been preserved so that they can be appreciated like they deserve to be...as opposed to being lost forever to obscurity.
    • November 7, 2008 1:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wish that someone could bring it over on the other side of the atlantic for us to see (at first) and buy.this is the shit!
    • November 6, 2008 9:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd love to see this, hopefully it will be released on DVD in London...?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel