Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Wolfman Jack & Link Wray?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 23, 2008 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey does anyone remember an instrumental track possibly played by link wray and featuring wofman jack, played on one of these podcasts...oh a year or two ago? I play that one on my guitar, but can't find the podcast anywhere...think it was on 'flying saucer rock n roll'.......anyone help? Ta.
    • September 10, 2009 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm glad you enjoyed. I heard it for the first time 5 years ago and I was amazed that there was a version that incorporated that riff (and at a breakneck pace). It was recorded in 1964 a year or two before the Kinks version.
    • September 9, 2009 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Excellent version by Ricky Nelson. I’ve never heard it before. Thanks for the link! It sure sounds like a blueprint/inspiration for the Kinks’ take. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      OK I was dead wrong about Howlin' Wolf's original version of Hidden Charms. I guess I never heard it before. I would have thought Link Wray's would have been based on that. But anyway, the Kinks really didn't come up with that riff but they slowed it down. Maybe Elvis' version wasn't really a good example but maybe this Rick Nelson is. It's a bit of Rockabilly but the riff is recognizable and I guess you're right that Link Wray probably did knick it off the Kinks.

Here's a link to Ricky Nelson's version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Uw4rI_fHI
    • September 8, 2009 7:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK I was dead wrong about Howlin' Wolf's original version of Hidden Charms. I guess I never heard it before. I would have thought Link Wray's would have been based on that. But anyway, the Kinks really didn't come up with that riff but they slowed it down. Maybe Elvis' version wasn't really a good example but maybe this Rick Nelson is. It's a bit of Rockabilly but the riff is recognizable and I guess you're right that Link Wray probably did knick it off the Kinks. Here's a link to Ricky Nelson's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Uw4rI_fHI
    • September 8, 2009 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I’ve heard the Elvis version. Scotty Moore’s instrumental version too. They both sound more rockabilly. The Kinks' arrangement seems different to me. Maybe they just cranked up the fuzz. This version seems to be the standard other acts have followed (Chocolate Watchband, Aerosmith, etc). And this seems to be the arrangement Link copied for his cover of Hidden Charms (which is also the version the Gories covered). Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      If you ever hear Elvis' version of Milkcow Blues, that riff is going through that version as well though at a very frantic pace. I think Howlin' Wolf took that riff from many of the country versions he heard and slowed it down. Not sure though as he never has been interviewed on that.

Gas-House Gorilla said:
      Agreed.

The only Link Wray that seems to qualify in any way is Hidden Charms - which is neither an instrumental, nor does it feature Wolfman Jack. It does however showcase Link doing his best Howlin’ Wolf impression. You can throw this track into the thread of Best Cover Songs too. Not only a great cover, but great use of the arrangement from the Kink’s cover of “Milk Cow Blues” (at least I think that's where that arrangement originates – please correct me if I’m wrong).

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I still think it's Wolfman by Bobby Fuller Four with Bobby providing the Wolfman vocals.
    • September 4, 2009 8:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

swt said:
      You can download the entire album of Wolfman Jack & The Wolfpack for less than $2 on Aimee St. (That's true right now. If it gets real popular the prce will go up)

http://amiestreet.com/music/wolfman-jack/wolfman-jack-and-the-wolfp...

Man ! i'm pissed i saw that album at the flea market a few years ago & passed on it. Stupid me !
    • September 3, 2009 4:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you ever hear Elvis' version of Milkcow Blues, that riff is going through that version as well though at a very frantic pace. I think Howlin' Wolf took that riff from many of the country versions he heard and slowed it down. Not sure though as he never has been interviewed on that. Gas-House Gorilla said:
      Agreed.

The only Link Wray that seems to qualify in any way is Hidden Charms - which is neither an instrumental, nor does it feature Wolfman Jack. It does however showcase Link doing his best Howlin’ Wolf impression. You can throw this track into the thread of Best Cover Songs too. Not only a great cover, but great use of the arrangement from the Kink’s cover of “Milk Cow Blues” (at least I think that's where that arrangement originates – please correct me if I’m wrong).

I still think it's Wolfman by Bobby Fuller Four with Bobby providing the Wolfman vocals.
    • September 3, 2009 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Agreed. The only Link Wray that seems to qualify in any way is Hidden Charms - which is neither an instrumental, nor does it feature Wolfman Jack. It does however showcase Link doing his best Howlin’ Wolf impression. You can throw this track into the thread of Best Cover Songs too. Not only a great cover, but great use of the arrangement from the Kink’s cover of “Milk Cow Blues” (at least I think that's where that arrangement originates – please correct me if I’m wrong). Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
    • September 2, 2009 10:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 2, 2009 7:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've no idea what he's talking about, either. Are you sure it was actually Wolfman Jack? I'm wondering if it's just a Link Wray tune with Link's vocals. He had a pretty rough voice himself, ya know...

Either that or a sound bite of Wolfman Jack on the radio talking over a Link Wray music bed. That seems much more likely than Link actually recording a song with the Wolfman.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 1, 2009 6:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah! it's insane how the lack of fcc (or whatever agency in charge) rules allowed them to shower the united states with the best music possible. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Apperently his station produced enough wattage that they could be heard all along the South from Baja CA to Louisiana.
    • September 1, 2009 5:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Apperently his station produced enough wattage that they could be heard all along the South from Baja CA to Louisiana.
    • September 1, 2009 2:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wolfman Jack's autobio makes for a pretty good read. Tales of setting up shop in a Mexican bordertown's radio station, while equipping the roof with enough guns and ammo to protect themselves against a local gang.
    • August 31, 2009 10:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I mentioned that on page one. joe said:
      is it the bobby fuller four song "the wolfman (?)"
    • August 31, 2009 10:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The guy who started this thread, does he even log on anymore? Dan Electreau said:
      M' Lord...

That track doesn't ring a bell with me - I checked thru a bunch of my playlists and didn't find anything that might fit the track you describe.

At this point I think you should post a recording of you playing the piece on guitar - it would be much more helpful if you could also do the Wolfman Jack vocals over top.
    • August 31, 2009 7:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

is it the bobby fuller four song "the wolfman (?)"
    • August 31, 2009 11:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

M' Lord...

That track doesn't ring a bell with me - I checked thru a bunch of my playlists and didn't find anything that might fit the track you describe.

At this point I think you should post a recording of you playing the piece on guitar - it would be much more helpful if you could also do the Wolfman Jack vocals over top.
    • August 30, 2009 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always liked the stupid humor that Zacherlie did on that song "Dinner With Drac". I wonder if HE did anymore things like that.
    • August 30, 2009 10:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did you ever find your tune? Why do I have the feeling you're talking about "Wolfman" by the Bobby Fuller Four? that tune kind of had that Link Wray quality to it but that was Bobby Fuller doing a Wolfman Jack imitation, not the Wolfman himself.
      Now that's the kinda bizarro crap I miss about modern music! I heard a weird tune on an old eppy-sode of Fool's Paradise w/ Rex (on WFMU.org) that sounded like the Wolfman a-howlin' and gabberin' over an instro cut...he (or imitations or him) must done bunches of this type o' trash...never caught the backstory on the tune unfortunately....
    • August 29, 2009 5:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did you ever find your tune? Why do I have the feeling you're talking about "Wolfman" by the Bobby Fuller Four? that tune kind of had that Link Wray quality to it but that was Bobby Fuller doing a Wolfman Jack imitation, not the Wolfman himself.
    • December 8, 2008 12:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Photobucket
    • December 8, 2008 3:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

still searching for this instro track featuring the wolfman, from a garage punk podcast, been through fsrr, oco&c, vagabond, it could be rock n roll suicide, or savage kick, can anyone help me narrow it down? Cheers Lord Sonic
    • November 14, 2008 12:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yOU HAVETA dIG THE wOLFMAN!!!!

• October 25, 2008 5:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks Mike, I did go through those episodes which was great coz I'd missed some of the early shows, but 'wolfman boogie' isnt the track I was looking for, I seem to remember (although this might be wrong) that it was a link wray tune with wolfman jack over the top, i'll keep looking/downloading, might have been on one cup o coffee....cheers tho Michael Kaiser said:
      Are you talking about Wolfman Boogie Pt.II by Wolfman Jack & the Wolf Pack?

I played that on some episode of RadiOblivion. Don't know which one; I'm kinda dodgy about playlists. Not ever sure of what I have played exactly... That track would be somewhere on episodes 9 - 15. I have no idea what I played betwixt 5 and 15. Really need to go through those and write 'em down.

But, I digress. If that is the song yer looking for, it's available on the "Mondo Frat Dance A Go Go" disc on Arf Arf. Or, you can re-listen to all the RadiOblivion episodes; you probably should anyway.

Hope that helps.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel