Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Great Tina Turner

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 4, 2008 1:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pulling some of her greatest off youtube. Even now, she is still one of the greatest female performers ever. What's your favorite?
      1960 I Idolize You

1964 Can't Believe What You Say

1964 Goodbye, So Long

1966 River Deep, Mountain High

1968 You Got What You Wanted

1968 Cussin', Cryin', Carryin' On

1969 Crazy About You

• December 20, 2011 2:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nothing beats her Acid Queen and Nutbush City Limits period:):):)!!!!!

• December 20, 2011 2:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...Oh , and Suzi Brack , too. More camp than Yellowstone , but , straight guys dig it , too.

• December 20, 2011 2:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I failed to mention Suzi Quatro , her sisters , Nanci and Patti , and her niece , Sherrilynn (DOES SHE PLAY MUSIC? Sorry , who cares?)...... AND -

Local Pride Series (Chicago ) - Michelle Manson ("The Devil's Bride" - Kim Fowley.) and Jill (The Dyes), Traci Trouble , Patti Elvis , Miss Alex White , Miss Mia Park ,

Former , and very briefly , bandmates of mine : Sherrilynn N.(She CAN play an instrument , very well , I might add.) , Michelle P. , Theresa D. 

John Battles said:

Yep. People forget , Tina used to be great. In the 80's , she accepted an "R&B Singer of the year award" by saying "Why are you giving me this?! I HAVE'NT SUNG R & B IN 15 YEARS !!".

Anyway , Wanda Jackson , Janis Martin , Cordell Jackson , Nancy Sinatra , Ronnie Spector , Sugar Pie De Santo , Ann - Margret , Mary Weiss , Etta James , Barbara Lynn , Lorrie Collins ,

Lulu , Brenda Lee , Gale Garnett , Buffy St. Marie , Mariska Veres , Susan Jacks , Exene Cervenka , Poly Styrene , Poison Ivy , Toody Cole , Buffi Aguerro , Chris Horne , Heidi Liebe ,

Paula Pierce , others. 

• December 19, 2011 5:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep. People forget , Tina used to be great. In the 80's , she accepted an "R&B Singer of the year award" by saying "Why are you giving me this?! I HAVE'NT SUNG R & B IN 15 YEARS !!".

Anyway , Wanda Jackson , Janis Martin , Cordell Jackson , Nancy Sinatra , Ronnie Spector , Sugar Pie De Santo , Ann - Margret , Mary Weiss , Etta James , Barbara Lynn , Lorrie Collins ,

Lulu , Brenda Lee , Gale Garnett , Buffy St. Marie , Mariska Veres , Susan Jacks , Exene Cervenka , Poly Styrene , Poison Ivy , Toody Cole , Buffi Aguerro , Chris Horne , Heidi Liebe ,

Paula Pierce , others. 

• April 17, 2009 5:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're on to something there. That would be a riot to see & hear. Really would like to see someothing like that happen. "Hey Tina! Please read this & oblige us." Lieutenant Cheeseliver said:
      Mad Mojo Marmalade said:
      Heck yeah it is.
      You know how some of the legends sort of can't carry on that torch many years after their prime?
      Despite not getting completely gaga over her 80's and 90's material, she still keeps a strong pace going head to head with the more mainstream sounding stuff at the time. Stuff like "We Don't Need Another Hero" or "What's Love Got To Do With It" is pretty listenable and doesn't really make me cringe like some of the output of the veterans.

yeah, you're right... Tina probably gets away with it cause she's a very classy lady with a voice that could melt concrete! I just wonder what she could do with a contemporary r&r band, like what Mary Weiss did with the Oblivians, y'know...just put her with a backing band that's got some decent taste, and away from those E-Street Band type bands she sings with on Oprah Winfrey and the like..

I'd love to see her do some stripped back early 60s southern soul type of thing...She's still got a great voice & looks amazing!!
    • March 28, 2009 3:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah, some staples there. Have you heard any Sharon Jones with the Dap Kings? Just a little kick. Ivan Andreini said:
      Irma Thomas, Etta James, Julie London, Boobie Gentry and Patsy Cline, to begin with...
      Great big kiss
      Ivan (boy)
    • March 28, 2009 3:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heck yeah it is. You know how some of the legends sort of can't carry on that torch many years after their prime? Despite not getting completely gaga over her 80's and 90's material, she still keeps a strong pace going head to head with the more mainstream sounding stuff at the time. Stuff like "We Don't Need Another Hero" or "What's Love Got To Do With It" is pretty listenable and doesn't really make me cringe like some of the output of the veterans. Lieutenant Cheeseliver said:
      'Puppy Love' is such a killer tune. That's probably my favourite of hers. Her early-mid 60s stuff is top notch!!
    • March 28, 2009 2:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Sara! Wow! Great stuff here! That's a great video of the FIL/WOF medley. It's hard to sit still and listen. LOL Nice memory of your parent's first date. You're like a Turner Tot lovechild. Sara said:
      THANKS MMM, cool footage! Tina is so fantastic. Check out "Fool in Love" into "Work out fine"..

I love "Can't Believe What You Say" too, this is just a bit of old footage....
      My mom and pop's first date was at an Ike and Tina show, I guess you could say I owe it all to them!
    • March 24, 2009 2:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THANKS MMM, cool footage! Tina is so fantastic. Check out "Fool in Love" into "Work out fine"..

I love "Can't Believe What You Say" too, this is just a bit of old footage....
      My mom and pop's first date was at an Ike and Tina show, I guess you could say I owe it all to them!
    • March 12, 2009 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Irma Thomas, Etta James, Julie London, Boobie Gentry and Patsy Cline, to begin with...
      Great big kiss
      Ivan (boy)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel