Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: don't know much about power pop... can you help me?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 16, 2008 5:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

someone can help me get some infos (books talking about it, mags...)???

the only records I got are The Real Kids s/t and the 2nd of Registrators (i think it's power pop...or not??)...
    • September 20, 2008 12:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yup, very pop and psych... a little different from the garagepunk lockstep... I rilly rilly dig all that hook and melody driven stuff. Don't think the M&Ms did anything other than that single, but the tune's co-writer, Paul Collins had the Nerves (as in "Hangin On the Telephone") and then the Beat -- both classic and essential power pop. croatoa said:
      yeah, my preferred songs of the podcast remains the gentlemean jesse, the M&M's (there's no lp out there??). and the Shake shakes...
      but all the episode of "Hanging on..." are power pop oriented?????? I want them all !!!!!
    • September 20, 2008 4:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah, my preferred songs of the podcast remains the gentlemean jesse, the M&M's (there's no lp out there??). and the Shake shakes...

but all the episode of "Hanging on..." are power pop oriented?????? I want them all !!!!!
    • September 19, 2008 9:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah The Gentleman Jesse LP is great. I'd go for The Pointed Sticks, Cheap Trick(mainly In Colour) , The Fevers, Statues(These guys are fuckin killer), The Pets, FM Knives, Big Star, The Funfuns(shameless self-promtion. www.myspace.com/thefunfuns) I dunno. I just like poppy punk stuff too.
    • September 19, 2008 9:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper popped a link to how to subscribe here... http://tiny.cc/BTJU4 but you right, I'm just p[osting taht now... yes, I be slack, but I went to see Wreckless Eric and drank way way too much!! I blame Amy Rigby. no matter how much booze I consume, she still sounds like a chipmunk with a thumb up its ass... now all I have is this awful lingering hangover! waaaaa! double bummer... Gentleman Jesse canceled. the poor boy got mugged a coupla days ago and got his nose broke! waaaa waaa waaaaaa! but I'ma posting that p-list in minutes.
    • September 19, 2008 9:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How can i have the playlist in my mail???

generally i read it in the garagepunk podcast playlists (but it's not there!!!!)
    • September 18, 2008 3:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

croatoa said:
      thank everybody!
      up to now i listen to "hanging on for mercy #38" (thank you, Grrtch !!) and my best song is M&Ms "I'm tired"...I also like so much the first 3 songs of the podcast (don't understand the name...)...
      Aw cool!! yer makin' my day! That M&M's song is really catchy, innit? it's been my earworm for days... Are you signed up to the garagepunk podcast mailing list? if so, you'll get that playlist tonight... but I'll tell ya right now, that first tune was from Gentleman Jesse - fuggin awesome band out of Atlanta that's happening right now. That whole album is solid as hell!
    • September 18, 2008 12:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thank everybody!
      up to now i listen to "hanging on for mercy #38" (thank you, Grrtch !!) and my best song is M&Ms "I'm tired"...I also like so much the first 3 songs of the podcast (don't understand the name...)...
    • September 18, 2008 12:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cro,
      the usual suspects:
      the first Barracudas album 'Drop out with' and 'Don't let that feeling go' on their last album, from 3 years ago;
      the song 'Shake some action' by the Flamin' Groovies and acouple of other Groovies songs after '76;
      the first Paul collins 'Beat album -the one with 'R'n'r girl'
      the Nerves compilation (the 70's band with Paul Collins, Jack Lee and Peter Case);
      Blondie, of course;
      One night in America by the Plimsouls, ther live album-tuff to find but there's a blog (by a guy called Ratboy) where you can... plus their sell-out album 'Everywhere at once', a bit bombastic but fantastic nevertheless;
      Stiv Bators solo album on Bomp/Line
      etc, etc; also Nikki Corvette, she's a funtastic singer, don't miss her if she's playing near your waters,
      the Mosquitos, a NY 80's band;
      if you find the Ratboy blog, there's everything you need on it;
      bon voyage!
      Ivan
    • September 18, 2008 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, kudos to your finding that Kids record! its one of the hardest to find!! I suggests you listen to: The Quick, Rubinoos, 20/20, Nikki and the Corvettes (teen poppy female fronted), Milk n Cookies (rpm has an amazing collection of all their recordings if you don't manage to find the album), I consider the beat to be on the power pop side and its debateable whether or not you can consider the nerves power pop which i do! Hope that helps.. i will dig through my records for some great comps too.
    • September 17, 2008 4:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thank you so much!
    • September 16, 2008 11:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the brand new Hanging On For Mercy podcast is a power pop bonanza! I play a lot of it every show, but #38 is particularly rich with power pop...

Also, go check out NotLame.com. great power pop site. their "sounds like" feature in the site's search engine is right handy. and soon I'll be taking over their podcast as well!

Just last year the guy behind that site published a great guide called "Shake Some Action" that comes with a companion CD. You'll also find that on NotLame.com.

happy hooks and power chord!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel