Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Best Garage Album Poll

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 25, 2008 3:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Where are The Cynics, The thanes and The Morlocks.... Come on guys... '80s garage is not bad!
    • July 23, 2008 12:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's all these one off greats that led me to choose the "Songs We Taught The Fuzztones Comp - for those not familiar with this comp here's a few examples of whats on there:
      The Blues Magoos - Dante's Inferno
      The Sparkles - No Friend Of Mine
      The Haunted - 125
      The Sonics - Cinderella / Strychnine / The Witch
      The Electras - Action Woman
      The Calico Wall - I'm A Living Sickness
      The Fabs - That's The Bag I'm In
      The Bees - Voices Green & Purple
      The Bold - Gotta get Some
      The Reengades - 13 Woman
      The Heard - Your Gonna Miss Me
      And there's more but hey I'm hogging a bit
      Still have to vote for The Sonics "Boom" as best "Garage Album"
      I'll leave it there....for now
    • July 22, 2008 7:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gringo Starr said:
      Well, I'm not laughing at you at all! More like laughing with you! I think you've now completed my last post!
      The first two long players by The Shadows of Knight - Gloria (1966) + Back Door Men (1967) on Dunwich are definitely top contenders for best garage album (with songs like 'I got my mojo workin', 'Light Bulb Blues', 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and of course their version of 'Gloria' by Them) 'I’m Gonna Make You Mine' (on Back Door Men) is probably one of thee GREATEST garage tracks of all time!
      I love that you can tell they were so young and enthusiastic, yet have such a snotty quality to them. And they proved just how good cover songs could be. To me Gloria just epitomizes the spirit of that era : ).
    • July 22, 2008 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll never be able to hold my head up high here at the Hideout!! Yessss! of course!
      The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators (****)
      You're Gonna Miss Me
      Roller Coaster
      Splash 1
      Reverberation
      Don't Fall Down
      Fire Engine
      Thru The Rhythm
      You Don't Know
      Kingdom Of Heaven
      Monkey Island
      Tried To Hide

....*slaps face continually till you all refresh the page*
    • July 21, 2008 5:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators... come on now, You're Gonna Miss Me, Roller Coaster, Tried to Hide etc. etc...

I'll also agree with the Mummies- Never Been Caught
      Black Lips- Let it Bloom
      The Stooges-Fun House
    • July 20, 2008 7:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, I'm not laughing at you at all! More like laughing with you! I think you've now completed my last post! The first two long players by The Shadows of Knight - Gloria (1966) + Back Door Men (1967) on Dunwich are definitely top contenders for best garage album (with songs like 'I got my mojo workin', 'Light Bulb Blues', 'I Just Want To Make Love To You' and of course their version of 'Gloria' by Them) 'I’m Gonna Make You Mine' (on Back Door Men) is probably one of thee GREATEST garage tracks of all time!
    • July 20, 2008 12:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Laugh all ya want, but the Shadows of Knight's 'Gloria' is pretty much my fave....
    • July 18, 2008 8:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can't really argue with Gra Fiend.
      #1 The Sonics - Boom (****) 4 star work of genius
      Some very honorable mentions must go to:
      The Seeds - Seeds (1st LP) & Web of Sound
      The Music Machine - Turn On The Music Machine (although not all cuts are brilliant or original) + Bonniwell's Music Machine (Eagle never hunts the fly,Double Yellow Line,etc.--brilliant!)
      The Remains - The Remains 1966 (****) you have to give this record 4 stars!!
      The Count V - Psychotic Reaction (although in my opinion about 50% of the LP is truly brilliant)
      The Electric Prunes - I had too much to dream last night
      The Outsiders (Dutch) - The Outsiders (first LP) drummer blows my fucking mind!
      The Monks - Black Monk Time (I would have a hard time arguing that this record doesn't deserve the #1 position)
      Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era 1972 (but it's a comp.)
      Of course I assume we are talking about the golden age garage albums (1965-1968)? This discussion would be meaningless otherwise (in my opinion). And we are talking about full LP's, right? I think that is important and really narrows down the field. So many bands recorded genius singles/songs. I could type all night about one-off songs. A full LP is the way to find the best of the best. Thanks for asking.
      Gringo.
    • July 18, 2008 9:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I find it hard to ignore the self titled Supercharger LP, and Sonics Boom and Never Been Caught are also up there for me.

I guess it really depends on what mood I'm in.
    • July 18, 2008 6:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE SONICS - BOOM - No contest

However you may also want to list:
      BACK FROM THE GRAVE Pick your own fav they are all fantastic - way more Garage punk than the Nuggets or Pebbles series
      THE BEST OF PEBBLES Vol1 - GET PRIMITIVE - Love all three volumes but Vol1 is the cream of the garage from the pebbles series (The only one which is as close to BFTG).
      GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS BOX SET- Yeah it's a box set but each individual album is a killer
      TEENAGE SHUTDOWN - Jump Jive and Harmonize - Vol1 is still my fav of the series.
      THE MUMMIES - Never Been Caught - They changed the scene and set the standard -God like album (yeah I know it's their second album but I prefer it to the first one and I'm refering to the band here)
      SONGS WE TAUGHT THE FUZZTONES - Bit cheating as it's two albums - both amazing

All the above should be voted for
    • July 17, 2008 5:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Reatards Teenage Hate
    • July 17, 2008 3:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Nuggets box set (Volume 1, Rhino Records) is magical, but is IS 4 CDs, thus way too vast to be considered an "album."

So I'll vote for Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs' Their Second Album, the one with "Ju Ju Hand" and great covers of R&B and blues tunes including slow and greasy classics "Magic Touch" and "The Gypsy." Most the tunes had themes of magic, withcraft and voodoo. And it had a great cover (later used for at least one greatest hits compilation) that showed the band gathered around a cauldron with dry-ice smoke and a stuffed baby alligator.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel