Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: What are you reading now?

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • September 4, 2017 9:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Joey , I'LL LOOK OUT FOR THAT BOOK.....Glam and it's influences covers a wide terrain , to be sure. If you're doing a book , you've got to have Sweet , Slade , T Rex , Suzi Quatro , Mott , Wizzard , Roxy Music , and Gary Glitter (If you can separate the music from the crimes , he was hugely influential.) but also lesser known (In America) acts like Mud , Hello , Chicory Tip , Arrows , Geordie , Alvin Stardust , Hollywood Brats and lesser knowns , still , now littering "Junkshop Glam" comps with real style. I also think the early progenitors , like John Kongos and even "The Raver" by The Troggs , bear mentioning..... Who'd we have here ? , The Dolls and Alice Cooper , of course , Zolar - X , Silverhead (Tho' I find 'em more Rock than Glam , like Kiss.) , Shady Lady , Jobriath , etc.   Most documents on Glam's history completely overlook modern day torch - bearers like Hanoi Rocks , solo Michael Monroe , The Sirens (Detroit), and Giuda.

• September 5, 2017 7:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

You hit on many of the guys and gals that made the book (even some of the lesser known ones). I think Simon did a wonderful job with this tome, and since I was a fan of his earlier "Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984", I knew this would be a well-researched documentation of the genre. Without a doubt, I'm sure there's a few that didn't make it into the book, but either way, it's a recommended buy. I would like to see an "Encyclopedia" of all things glam published one day, though.

• September 8, 2017 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

JOEY , Well , that's good to know. There were , of course , Glamsploitation acts that were little more than joke bands (As with Punk.) , but , some were better than anyone had a right to expect , though just concocted in the studio with anonymous Musicians .  An encyclopedia of Glam , it's forerunners and later bands directly informed by it , would be in order.   It occured to me , many people believe "Spirit in The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum was the definitive early Proto - Glam single. I always felt that , and John Kongos' classics "He's Gonna Step On You Again " and "Tokoloshe Man" were also immediate forerunners to that SOUND. Mike Leander said when he and Gary Glitter were developing the patented "Glitter sound" , they were listening to Kongos , "Neanderthal Man" by Hotlegs (A UK hit song that foresaw the damage yet to come.) and the New Orleans group , Exhuma.  Even McCartney got in the fun with "Hi Hi Hi" , and publically stated " I don't want that superstar thing for (a then new) Wings. T Rex and Slade can have that.".

• September 9, 2017 6:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

You're exactly right about "Spirit In the Sky", John, as it is mentioned in the book, however, that's about it. A point was made about this "pre-glam" sound that was starting to take shape, along with John Lennon's "Instant Karma".

• September 12, 2017 5:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Seems my reply did'nt turn up (If it does , disregard it.) "Hot Love" by T Rex is generally considered the beginning of Glam , but , to me , it's a stepping stone from Tyrannosauraus Rex to T Rex. THEN , MARC BANGED A GONG AND GOT IT ON WITH HIS NEW SOUND..... WHICH WAS STILL FORESEEN BY "SPIRIT IN THE SKY" , John Kongos , The Troggs "The Raver" and even Giorgio Moroder's pre - Disco Electronic Rock monsterpiece , the album and song , "Son of My Father" ( Which he made into a hit for Emerging UK Glam act  , Chicory Tip , by basically putting their Singer's voice over his original track.). 

But , even more irrelevant , still , is the man who put the big beat into "Spirit" , which no doubt influenced studio concoctions like Kongos ,  Glitter and Leander , was Norman Mayall , also played in Sopwith Camel and later Blue Cheer. Dickie Peterson said he kicked Mayall out of the band , and declared The Cheer officially done (For the first time.)  because he tried to persuade him to drink carrot juice ! 

• December 7, 2017 11:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

I have a horribly short attention span and it has gotten worse over the past couple of years so I've had a lot of trouble finishing actual books.  I read a bunch of comic books and graphic novels though.

I am currently reading an Iron Fist graphic novel called The Trial of the Seven Masters by Ed Brisson. 

• March 19, 2018 2:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

At the moment, I am reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, and Mod A Very British Phenomenon by Terry Rawlings

• March 28, 2018 1:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

This is Memorial Device by David Keenan

Related image

• April 25, 2018 8:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

...I just finished reading the fairly recent Jerry Lee Bio (came out four years ago. Recent enough.). It's as close to a real autobiography as your going to find on Jerry Lee. Writer , Rick Bragg transcribes the events as the unfold , but , The Killer , himself ,checks in with commentary on nearly every topic covered , here. The drudgery of his early life in rural Louisiana. His salvation....Through Country and Rhythm'n'Blues ( Jerry grapples with religion all through his life, feeling guilty for having fun and  admittedly disregarding major responsibilities.)  , while his filthy rich , self - righteous Cousin , Jimmy Swaggart (Whose own sex scandal goes largely forgotten , today.) lords it over them....Though JLL maintains that he did save his life , one time.

OF COURSE , HIS ASCENT TO FAME AND ARTISTIC BRILLIANCE (THE MAJORITY OF HIS SUN RECORDINGS WERE NOT RELEASED FOR DECADES.) IS COVERED WITH SUCH IRREPUTABLE DETAIL , IT'S LIKE YOU'RE THERE FOR THE WHOLE RIDE..... Through scandal , through the excitement of fame and adulation , and the joys and pratfalls of creating music , live and in the studio , and the loss of so many friends and family ( Including his first two sons.), and , eventually , redemption.   He still sounds unsure as to whether he'll "Get to Heaven", and it's a topic he takes very seriously.

A truly enjoyable read , I devoured all 400+ pages in a week or less , and I am extremely slow and disinterested reader.

I PLAN TO GO THRU HOZAC BOOKS' NEW RELEASE , "Four Strings, Phony Proof and 300 45s By Sam Maida , Bassist for Sparks , Roxy Music , and the recently reformed Power Pop/ Proto Punk legends , Milk 'n'Cookies , just as fast.

• April 25, 2018 8:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

...I just finished reading the fairly recent Jerry Lee Bio (came out four years ago. Recent enough.). It's as close to a real autobiography as your going to find on Jerry Lee. Writer , Rick Bragg transcribes the events as the unfold , but , The Killer , himself ,checks in with commentary on nearly every topic covered , here. The drudgery of his early life in rural Louisiana. His salvation....Through Country and Rhythm'n'Blues ( Jerry grapples with religion all through his life, feeling guilty for having fun and  admittedly disregarding major responsibilities.)  , while his filthy rich , self - righteous Cousin , Jimmy Swaggart (Whose own sex scandal goes largely forgotten , today.) lords it over them....Though JLL maintains that he did save his life , one time.

OF COURSE , HIS ASCENT TO FAME AND ARTISTIC BRILLIANCE (THE MAJORITY OF HIS SUN RECORDINGS WERE NOT RELEASED FOR DECADES.) IS COVERED WITH SUCH IRREPUTABLE DETAIL , IT'S LIKE YOU'RE THERE FOR THE WHOLE RIDE..... Through scandal , through the excitement of fame and adulation , and the joys and pratfalls of creating music , live and in the studio , and the loss of so many friends and family ( Including his first two sons.), and , eventually , redemption.   He still sounds unsure as to whether he'll "Get to Heaven", and it's a topic he takes very seriously.

A truly enjoyable read , I devoured all 400+ pages in a week or less , and I am extremely slow and disinterested reader.

I PLAN TO GO THRU HOZAC BOOKS' NEW RELEASE , "Four Strings, Phony Proof and 300 45s By Sam Maida , Bassist for Sparks , Roxy Music , and the recently reformed Power Pop/ Proto Punk legends , Milk 'n'Cookies , just as fast.

• April 27, 2018 7:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Boy , Sam Maida's book is fascinating. He was always there , in the right place at the right time. He saw everyone , and met MORE than everyone , but handles it from a regular guy "Is this really happening ? Cool. " kind of perspective. If you're a fan of the bands he played in , or just in the mid 60's - late 70's UK Rock scenes in general , this is such a fun (and fast.)read......

Check out Hozac Records' website . While you're at it , you could do worse than picking up Brian McMahon's "Memoirs of an electric eel'' , too. Tell 'em I sent ya , if you do....

• April 27, 2018 7:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW?

...I accidentally deleted the bit where I said if you're a fan of US AND UK Rock circa mid 60's - late 70's, this book's for you. The author is  a world travelller , and was in many of the right places at the right times

• May 8, 2018 1:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

I read a few political books (Fire and Fury among others), and now I've switched gears to something a little lighter, a mystery, called A Mersey Killing: When Liverpool Rocked, And The Music Died. It's a mystery, set in 1960s Liverpool. It's well written, and mentions a lot of the places there, venues, bands, etc. It has been a fun read so far. 

• May 9, 2018 8:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

BEATLE CHICK , THAT SOUNDS COOL. I DON'T MIND BOOKS OR FILMS THAT INCORPORATE ASCPECTS OF MUSICAL HISTORY IN THE NAME OF FICTION , IF THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE GOING ON ABOUT.....

• July 30, 2018 5:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

.... I was reading an actually very good David Bowie bio , released a couple of years prior to his death. It goes into detail about his first falling under the spell of Little Richard (Just like his Death Week mate , Lemmy.) and making a go of it on the Mod/R'n'B circuit , befriending Bolan , early on , making one of the best early Heavy Rock LPs ever ,  "The Man who Sold The World", and of course , forming The Spiders and incinerating the planet he said he'd already sold , and you know the rest. Good read ,seems entirely credible , but , there seemed to be mild water damage to my copy , which bothered my eyes a bit, so , I did'nt finish.

I'm reading the (Posthumous ) Lemmy book , compiled from hours of taped convos between Lemmy and a former roadie. IT VERIFIES WHAT YOU KNEW , AND CLARIFIES WHAT YOU DID'NT.

• March 27, 2019 9:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

or ,are you reading THIS ?!   Not likely. I Read the Jerry Nolan Bio "Stranded in The Jungle". It , predictably , paints Nolan as a man of contradictions , loyal yet often insanely jealous. His impeccable sense of style (Even when he was broke.) seems to stem from one life defining moment : Seeing Elvis on stage in Hawaii , probably in '56 or '57 , and realizing in all his stunning kool kat finery .... he still had a visible hole in the sole of his shoe...like he loved those shoes so much , he could'nt bear to part with them. Gene Krupa took him under his wing in the 60's , and practically groomed him to be his successor. The fact that Jerry believes he really was is no gross exaggeration. When Jerry later obtained some of Krupa's nonmusical predilections , his story goes into a deep , dark funk , but , still with some noticeable bright spots. But , what interested me the most was to find out Nolan played in the ostensibly Black and Puerto Rican Post Hendrix/Proto Punk trio , Maximillian. He was'nt credited or photographed for their one LP , but maintains it was himself all over that delightful mess.  

• April 14, 2019 10:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Hey , John , I just started reading "There's No Bones in Ice Cream " , Sylvain Sylvain's bio. How do you think it'll turn out , John? Well , John , I only know Syl may have missed his true calling as a Borscht Belt comic , but his humor spills over the horrors of his childhood years in Nasser's Egypt ( Where he and his family , and most other Jews , were given their walking papers.) , all the way into the dope and booze - addled , once vibrant creative force that was the New York music scene in the 70's , like so much yummy yummy yummy bubblegum - flavored napalm. Syl is a very funny guy , but , the things he's seen .....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel