Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Valley of the Dolls

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 23, 2008 6:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Valley of the Dolls
      I just finished it and it was beautiful trash. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Love it? Hate it? Set women back or forward on the feminist line?
    • April 18, 2008 12:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I tried to reply to this a few MONTHS ago, but never got the chance, as this site was still at it's buggy stage.

Great fuckin' book! One of the topper-most of the popper-most! It's an epitome of not that great writing, but still great writing! Darn, the dialouge was so cheap and dry for the first two chapters, I almost put it down. Thank god I didn't! It's such an unintentional view of things from a time we can't quite see anymore.

Toward the end - what emotional glow. I don't really see it as fem/ant-fem lit. It's more of a drug culture book for me. The first time I read it, I was into speed, perhaps more so than I should have been. I dug the references and the lifestyle. The second time, if I could bring any political merrit to it, it would be a class thing. I've read it over and over again since then, and it's been pure entertainment, just like it was to the housewives who read it the first time,

Above and beyond though, it's a great book and so under-rated with actual lit and crit people. It's just a great snapshot of the times - pop/underbelly at it's best. How can you really go wrong with it, no matter what way you see it?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel