Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: We Want The Airwaves, Baby!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2008 8:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I was growing up in the early 80s, there was a great show on national French radio station France Inter called "Intersidéral". The host DJ was Philippe Manoeuvre and his show was devoted to loud rock'n'roll and science fiction. I remember he would play bands like Radio Birdman. I also remember Screamin Jay Hawkins live in the studio, fantastic! That was on every weekday night from 10 to midnight (I would listen to it in my bed with headphones)!
    • January 9, 2008 8:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Growing up? Shit, I don't know... I guess for music it would've been Johnny Rabbit on KXOK in St. Louis, who played a great mix of '50s & '60s rock'n'roll and in the style of our favorite '60s jocks. Aside from that, the Saturday Morning Comedy Show on KMOX (both of these AM stations) was a favorite. The only FM show that really made an impact on me was a show called "Freeform" that was on KWK in the early '80s. I still have a tape of that show laying around somewhere, too. That was the first time I ever heard a lot of the first wave of punk and new wave that was coming out in the late '70s/early '80s. I think I was about 16 or so when I first heard it and it changed my life forever (had to be exposed to it at some point, though, I guess).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 9, 2008 7:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Hey Michael...of course I agree most of the time radio is cak, but now n again here in UK there is something that you can stand to listen to...fer example that twat Mark lamarr on Radio 2 does a great show playing real obscure 60s punk garage rock n roll beat n even early psych stuff. Also here in Scotland we have Vic Galloway who at least plays some stuff by new and old groups / artists, and most importantly plays records and demos from unsigned groups etc etc...but hey, I'm sure even back in the biggest heyday of them all (60s) not all the stations were playing great stuff, you always have to wade thru the excrement to find the wee gems, and that's true no matter when and where y'are...even the late great John Peel used to play loadsa shite in between the good great and just plain weeeeee-yaaaaaaard. Stomp stomp stomp yer pal Lenny - 'Beests (and The Thanes of course)
    • January 9, 2008 5:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I miss John Peel :-( I only really listen to internet radio stations now as they aren't restricted in what they can play. My favourite is Mod Radio UK - http://www.modradiouk.net and not just because I do a show for the station ;-)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel