Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Joe Strummer Doco

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 3, 2008 5:20 AM CST
    • Untitled

As it was 37oC outside the other day, I sat down to watch "The Future Is Unwritten"
      I've never been a huge Clash fan,and always wondered about some peoples slavish devotion to Mr Strummer, but that has all changed.

Firstly, the movie was a really well made and constructed documentary; managing to convey a real sense of the times Strummer lived in and the man himself.
      Filmmaker Julien Temple, whilst obviously a friend and fan of Strummer doesn't let that stop him painting a complete and occasionally unflattering picture of his subject. Great use of home movies, live concert footage and Strummer's own drawings and friends and family sitting round campfires just talking, make for a wonderfully evocative film.

This would have to be one of the best, if not the best rock'n'roll documentaries I've seen.

And you know what, I'm putting a pile of Clash records on my mp3 player right now.
    • April 12, 2009 8:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks,
      i really think sandinista ¡ is one of the most interesting records of the time it had been made¡
      joe was really talented
      i always was a huge fan
      but right Now is coming to argentina the documentary
      so im gonna watch it ¡
      kisses.

Duck.
    • September 11, 2008 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I found the doc touching, arty, and interesting, and without the pointed, cheesy feeling *mythologizing* of an era that infiltrates some punk rock docs. Joe Strummer and his politics are influenced by a certain time and place, but not necessarily bound by it. By the way, did anyone see the article on the Pop Rivets in the last Ugly Things, and Bruce Brand describes meeting the Clash in 1976, and how he felt kind of foppy in his long hair and flares? The influence they must have had, speaking at least of fashion, shows in the two pictures of Brand, one from 1976 and one marked "early 1978", with a totally different aesthetic going on. I love it!
    • July 4, 2008 1:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My review of The Future is Unwritten and a new Claqsh concert DVD is HERE
    • June 18, 2008 1:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

there's a great part in "End Of The Century", a documentary about the Ramones, in which they talk about playing London very early on and Joe Strummer, Johnny Rotten and others sort of weasled their way in to talk to them - this was before any of them had formed punk bands... anyways I'll have to catch it. I love documentaries.
    • April 20, 2008 9:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just wondering if it's out yet,on dvd. does anyone have a release date??
      ~T
    • January 26, 2008 1:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Always been a Clash fan but it took me like three years to understand what the lads were saying. Can't wait to see this.
    • January 24, 2008 5:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the torrent link!

I'm actually in the midst of writing a lengthy article about The Clash, the solicitation largely due to interest in this documentary. I relate to your post; I've never been a huge fan of The Clash, but I've added the catalogue to my ipod and I'm starting to get it...only took me until 2008.

My screener hasn't arrived, and this will due just fine ('specially cuz I'm nearly a week past deadline.)

Cheers,
      Tim
    • January 5, 2008 9:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I want to see it, is it out on dvd already?
    • January 3, 2008 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've heard really good things about this film, your comments included. I can't wait to see it. The last time I watched a Clash documentary it was "Westway To The World" and it was pretty disappointing, except for some early rehearsal footage.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel