Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite fuzz that you are currently using???

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2007 2:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's your favorite fuzz that you are using?? Right now I'm using the Ashbass fuzzbrite, which is a mosrite fuzz clone. very nice buzz, but lacks a little bass when using a bright guitar or amp.
    • August 12, 2010 5:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's an interesting new fuzz.
    • August 7, 2010 1:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stock beat to shit puke-yellow MXR Distortion +
    • July 1, 2010 9:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have my Roadrunner Supersonic since 2005, when talking to the (now Ex-)Mooney Suzuki Guitarist Graham and he praised it over the moon. But really: It is indeed all the rave. The best sounding vintage fuzz unit there is. Plus the loudest, if wanted. Pricey, but as I dig the look and the sound since five years, toured and recorded with it - it´s worth every Euro. Or dollar. Or Yen. Plus: It´s not just Jon posing with a rather cool looking fuzzbox - he actually uses it. I´ve seen Heavy Trash a couple of times and there it was in all it´s beauty... The Barber Trifecta Fuzz comes pretty close, but is not that brutal as the Roadrunner, its more vintage, but really great. I´d recommend that one, too. If you wanna go all Black Keys, check out the Earthquaker Devices Hoof as well. I have all three pedals but keep coming back to my Roadrunner thing. FREDDI said:
      Anyone heard about a France built fuzz by Roadrunner,and called Supersonic?
      It is "sponsored"by some garage players as Billy Childish,DM Bob,Mooney Suzuki,Jon Spencer.

This trade makes lots of non-conventional shape guitars and basses too..

http://roadrunner.guitars.free.fr/index.php?page=home

• June 25, 2010 7:59 PM CDT
    • Untitled

that DOD classic fuzz is a total sleeper pedal. Johnny Danger said:
      I'm digging the BYOC Leeds fuzz -- a Superfuzz clone in a kit. I reckon it's the beesknees and the cheapest way to get a superfuzz - if yer confidant with a soldering iron.

It was hard to find a good fuzz for my casio organ and found that the Dod Classic Fuzz FX52 is awesome on a variety of keyboards.
    • June 24, 2010 7:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm digging the BYOC Leeds fuzz -- a Superfuzz clone in a kit. I reckon it's the beesknees and the cheapest way to get a superfuzz - if yer confidant with a soldering iron.

It was hard to find a good fuzz for my casio organ and found that the Dod Classic Fuzz FX52 is awesome on a variety of keyboards.
    • June 22, 2010 4:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Soundblox classic distortion, it recreates most of the fuzz boxes mentioned. You can go to their website a watch videos of all their products. They make 4 types of foot pedals for distortion, the classic, pro classic, multiwave and pro multiwave. These are digital pedals, I know some people have a problem with that, if you do, Big Muff or Rat pedals are a good place to start.
    • June 22, 2010 12:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm using a clone of a roland bee baa fuzz. it's a goodin.
    • June 1, 2010 7:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FREDDI said:
      Check yours now!

Yup! I OWE.. a couple Of these!!
    • June 1, 2010 7:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dan Electreau said:
      The Branded said:
      For a cheap and cheerful good sounding fuzz I use a Danelectro french toast, .

I used to used a Dan Electreau Grilled Cheese but then I switched to this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hipsterd00fus/4504685950/?edited=1

I like being able to control the amount of cheese to bread to signal ratio.
      HaHaHaHa!! Can't wait! .. to test drive this ONE!!
    • June 1, 2010 6:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently purchased a Baja Custom Tone Bender. It's based on the early model type Tone Benders but with additional extras such as a 9v boss style jack & a kill control, which I'm thinking is the bias control, so you can nail that early 60's splatty maestro/drained battery/sliced cone type tone. Unfortunately it's still in transit :(. I've had a few fuzz pedals over the years, I seem to go back to my NYC Big Muff quite a lot, works well on most guitar amps and it's great fun to play slide with and nail that early Jack White tone.
    • May 29, 2010 8:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I use a whole slew of pedals with tube amps mainly, my favorites are the good Old Big Muff and a pedal called the Static Egg made by a local guy, he actually used a sharpie to label it's plain sheet metal enclosure. The Egg gets the killer old school hollowed out fuzz and a thicker, meaner slightly more modern fuzz too. By tweaking the "static" knob it sounds like a ratted out speaker or a pedal that is seriouly broken, crackly even, in short I am in love LOL. Dan Electreau said:
      The Branded said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hipsterd00fus/4504685950/?edited=1

I like being able to control the amount of cheese to bread to signal ratio.
    • April 12, 2010 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Branded said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hipsterd00fus/4504685950/?edited=1 I like being able to control the amount of cheese to bread to signal ratio.
    • April 6, 2010 12:02 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Hey Andy, The Superfuzz by Voodoo Labs isn't a Superfuzz; it's a modified clone of Jordan Boss Tone which is a very cool fuzz in it's own right. I have never heard any complaints about it's reliability but I wouldn't be surprised if the switches wear out as they are a mechanical part and on an effect pedal they tend get all sorts of rough treatment from drunk feet! If you want a Superfuzz copy look at the Watson Classic Fuzz, Pretty much a dead on copy of the original Superfuzz http://www.wattson-fx.com/products.html Andy Rampage said:
      really 'Glad' that i stumbled Onto this!! had a 'X' take-Off with a BUNCH Of my Guitar stuff!!
      Yeah, The B*t*h should DIE! ..But that's a subject for another forum... I'm looking at a SUPERFUZZ by VOODOO labs. But ALL YOUS Guys Singin' the Praises Of The: "BIG MUFF" has me Second guessing that decision! ..which is alright by me!! Cause ANOTHER REASON I'm swawin' On THE SUPERFUZZ areits apparrent "ISSUES" with "Reliability" .. seems the switches can (and do!) wear-out fairly FAST!! So What do Ya like (SO MUCH!!) about it? ~that BIG MUFF ..WHO does it make Ya sould like?? PERKS, .. downfalls?? discuss discuss!! FANKX & Cheers
    • April 2, 2010 12:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's interesting. A little pricey though. I've been wondering what fuzz Billy used on "The Green Hornet" and "Can't Seem To Love That Girl". I don't think this fuzz was around then.
    • April 1, 2010 8:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone heard about a France built fuzz by Roadrunner,and called Supersonic? It is "sponsored"by some garage players as Billy Childish,DM Bob,Mooney Suzuki,Jon Spencer. This trade makes lots of non-conventional shape guitars and basses too.. http://roadrunner.guitars.free.fr/index.php?page=home

• April 1, 2010 8:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check yours now!

• February 17, 2010 6:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

really 'Glad' that i stumbled Onto this!! had a 'X' take-Off with a BUNCH Of my Guitar stuff!!
      Yeah, The B*t*h should DIE! ..But that's a subject for another forum...
      I'm looking at a SUPERFUZZ by VOODOO labs. But ALL YOUS Guys Singin' the Praises Of The: "BIG MUFF"
      has me Second guessing that decision! ..which is alright by me!! Cause ANOTHER REASON I'm swawin' On THE SUPERFUZZ areits apparrent "ISSUES" with "Reliability" .. seems the switches can (and do!) wear-out fairly FAST!!
      So What do Ya like (SO MUCH!!) about it? ~that BIG MUFF ..WHO does it make Ya sould like?? PERKS, .. downfalls??
      discuss discuss!!
      FANKX & Cheers
    • October 23, 2009 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big Muff. Always satisfies. Wooly Mammoth by Zvex kicks ass too.
    • May 14, 2009 11:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of late, I have been putting my bass through a Russian Big Muff Pi.
      Gives a dirty sound, but does not get too carried away.
    • March 26, 2009 3:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well...I got myself a BBE free fuzz, which is great for the vintage sound....I just got a T-Rex mudhoney, not a fuzz per se but in Boost mode, rips your fucking face off..like a Big Muff but better...and I got a 'You Dirty rat' but swapped the stock rubbish chip about for an LM308N.....sleazy
    • March 26, 2009 1:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i play an ashbass fuzzbrite.. the most incredible AND affordable fuzz their is!!

believe it!
    • February 28, 2009 6:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Sonics is meant to be all amps - and technique of course!

I still don't know how Parypa got that toppy tone even off of the 6th string on 'The Witch,' it bugs me a bit because it's as if he's the only man that can play the damn song. That's fair I suppose.

My current Fuzz is now an Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff - which is great. It's better for the more "modern" stuff I'm into though. QOTSA and Smashing Pumpkins etc.

A friend and I are going to look into assembling our own pedals, so I'd definitely get some 60s fuzz kits to put together.

I'd like to try the Tonebender and the Fuzzrite for sure.
    • November 4, 2008 10:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just 2 batteries... the circuit inside is really simple. It has 2 germanium transisters. The Fuzz wont kick in unless you hit the strings quite hard. It is very weird but really sounds like the real deal. I don't use it live as it is so unpredictable. I'm quite keen to try one of those Boss Maestro emulators.... anyone tried one of those? Erik 4-A said:
      Wierd on the 3 Volts power supply. Does it have a 'Wall Wart" Adapter socket or not?

It may use a Germanium Transistor which lots of the older Fuzz units used. The unit the Stones used on "Satisfaction" was a Gibson Maestro fuss pedal. Those are pretty easy circuits to copy.
    • November 4, 2008 10:36 PM CST
    • Untitled

For my Bass rig I'm running a EH Bass Big Muff. More usable then other Muff's, great on guitar and not just your average Muff because of the three way switch that switches between the modes.
      On guitar I use a Fuzz Face clone that I made using high gain Germanium AC128's. I usually boost this with a tube Screamer type pedal for lead work/noise/feedback.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel