Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: I Am Legend - the new film version, your thoughts??

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 17, 2007 3:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SPOILER ALERT!!

One of my favorite books, was curious to see what this latest (third) adaption would be like.
      I think it's SO different I wonder why they even bothered acquiring rights to the book??
      Good film on its own, but if you are expecting it to be faithful to the original (which I wasn't) you will be disappointed.
    • June 16, 2008 11:18 AM CDT
    • Untitled

No one likes Ah-nohld (even as the guv'nah of California) He was supposed to do that (loathsome Tim Burton) remake of "Planet of the Apes" but fortunately for the world that fell though (even though they still made it with equally as loathsome Mark Wahlberg) Sometimes Hollyweird just needs to know when to leave well enough alone. Heston did a semi-reasonable version in the 70's with "The Omega Man".

Did you see they are remaking "The Andromeda Strain"! Why can't they think up something new? That is why I like (ultra) low budget cinema. The FX may be crap, but the ideas are fresh. Oh well!
    • April 5, 2008 2:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In response to Erik 4-A:
      Nope, the ending of the Smith version is substantially different than the ending of 'the story' (by that I mean the original book).
      In response to JensLowcut:
      Some of us were interested in seeing a film adaption of 'I Am Legend', not a 'Will Smith flick'.
      The movie was sitting in production limbo forever, and it was originally going to have Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead role. (*shudder*)
    • March 30, 2008 3:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Who cares about a Will Smith flick?
    • January 27, 2008 11:38 AM CST
    • Untitled

Yeah "28 Days Later" is one of my faves (along with Sean of the Dead) but it sequel "28 Weeks Later" was just rehash of the first film (or as Chuck Heston said about Beneath Planet of the Apes, "More adeventures in Monkeyland") and Danny Boyle's English post appocalyptic was comprimised.

From what I have read and seen of this (3rd retelling) of this story, is that there in not much new to it. Will Smith's character still does what he does at the end of the story and becomes a Ledgend. If you have seen, "The World The Felsh and the Devil" from 1959 it has some pretty eerie views of s desserted New York City (and in black & white) too. Also "The Quiet Earth" explores that scenario (downunder) too (but without the zombies) Even Stephen King's "The Stand" (both book and TV mini series) give a haunting view of a desolate NYC.

BUT my point is that is is all just more of the same. At least Danny Boyle came up with an original twist to the Zombie Genre with "28 Days Later" (like Georger Romero did in his "Dead series). The trick is not to "re-envision" but come up with something that is both believable, new and interesting to the the viewer and compells them to pay to see the story (and maybe pay to see it again) and currently Hollywierd is not gettting that.

The original with Vincent Price still stands as the best for me.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel