Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Control

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 19, 2007 5:07 AM CST
    • Untitled

No, it's not the new Maxwell Smart movie, it's the tedious film about Joy Division's Ian Curtis.
      Great songs, beautifully shot, but some really wooden acting & un-sympathetic characterizations.
      The film had me wishing Curtis would just hurry up and top himself.
      The black & white photography lent itself to the bleak life everyone was leading in Manchester, especially, Curtis. Sam Reilly looked like the man but couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
    • August 29, 2010 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And Tom Waits on the radio the whole time. Perfection. ixnayray said:
      "Son... I'm the man thats gonna make you use that gun...

[BANG!]"

Yeah, Mystery Train is a classic. Joe Strummer, Steve Buschemi and Screamin' Jay Hawkins in the same movie? You can't fail!

Alex Patton said:
      It really did suck. The actor that played Curtis just mumbled a bunch and danced like Boris Karloff.
      Joe Strummer was really good in Mystery Train though, especially love the scene where he shoots Rockets Redglare in the liquor store.
    • August 23, 2010 5:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Son... I'm the man thats gonna make you use that gun... [BANG!]" Yeah, Mystery Train is a classic. Joe Strummer, Steve Buschemi and Screamin' Jay Hawkins in the same movie? You can't fail! Alex Patton said:
      It really did suck. The actor that played Curtis just mumbled a bunch and danced like Boris Karloff.
      Joe Strummer was really good in Mystery Train though, especially love the scene where he shoots Rockets Redglare in the liquor store.
    • August 18, 2010 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 12, 2010 5:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A dull movie about a self obsorbed and uninteresting person.

What Joe Strummer film are you talking about?
    • August 4, 2010 1:47 AM CDT
    • Untitled

It can't be much worse than that shitty film with Joe Strummer in. The guy made some great music but should never tried acting. 24 Hour Party People ruled, have it on DVD and before that I never thought that there was any link between punk and rave.
    • August 2, 2010 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hah! (: Hank Cockpit said:
      Is it a movie about Joy Division's Ian Curtis, or is it a movie about Ian Curtis who happened to be in this band called Joy Division?
    • January 27, 2008 11:14 AM CST
    • Untitled

At least in 24 Hour Party people the guitars were supplied by Hooky from Joy Division/New Order, so you knew they were accurate. I agree that the second half of the film was not as good at the first half, but it wasn't unwatchable. It was just a pandering, self-serving ego fest to Tony Wilson (and if you listen to his audio comentary even he admits to that). Oh well, its better than Ollie Stone's Door's movie.
    • January 25, 2008 2:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked control alot actually. In fact, the only part I did not like was when Ian is playing "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on an Eastwood Phantom copy instead of a genuine Vox Phantom like in the video. Especially since Eastwood did not start making guitars until 2001, twenty years after this movie takes place.

24 hour party people was great for the first half. The second half was awful. Entirely unwatchable. I turned it off. I've never seen a movie go downhill like that.
    • January 2, 2008 10:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to say that I liked the film, but I was looking forward for Ian Curtis to die, haha. I definitely don't think it is a must see.
    • November 24, 2007 2:16 PM CST
    • Untitled

Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson was great (but still kinda stretching it a bit too) This film was supposed to be his big break in the biz and then he went and did "Around the World in 80 Days" with Jackie Chan and no one forgave him for that tradgedy of a film.

Even though they say 24 Hour Party People was a Docudrama, it was more like a Docudramatragicomedy. It was mythos run a much. Every thing mentioned in the film had some sort of factual reference, but was quite distorted beyond comprehention (in a good self mocking English sorta way) I have it on DVD.
    • November 21, 2007 8:07 PM CST
    • Untitled

I've only heard girls ooh and ahh over "Control" so it's a gloom chick flick-that's all I need to hear to walk the other way!
    • November 21, 2007 5:04 PM CST
    • Untitled

I really enjoyed 24PP. Always liked Steve Coogan.
      I should also say Mrs Yates loved Control, so maybe it's more a chick flick, than a RnR flick?
    • November 21, 2007 12:24 PM CST
    • Untitled

I liked the portrayal by Sean Harris in the movie "24 Hour Party People" I don't hink Jude Law has what it takes to really give the angst and anger that resided in Ian.

BTW Who played Rob Gretton? Paddy Consodine also did an excellent job in "24HPP" Andy Serkis also played Martin Hannet and you can't beat that either.

Me thinks they pooched it, but I haven't seen it yet.

BTW that Brian Jones film really sucked! I haven't even seen in out on DVD. I wouldn't pay a buck to see it either (I saw it on a bargain mat and posted a review on the GP Forum someplace) It stunk!
    • November 20, 2007 6:02 AM CST
    • Untitled

A bit of both. The main focus is Ian Curtis.
    • November 19, 2007 11:39 PM CST
    • Untitled

Sounds pretty bad. I'd watch it for free. It couldn't be as bad as the Brian Jones bio-pic, but I've been wrong before!
    • November 19, 2007 3:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is it a movie about Joy Division's Ian Curtis, or is it a movie about Ian Curtis who happened to be in this band called Joy Division?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel