Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite guitar tone?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 18, 2007 8:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw the discussion on the Kinks' guitar tone in the forums and I thought I'd start one here. What's your favorite guitar tones and what are some ways to get them? (especially for poor people without much equipement such as myself). Right now I'm listening to The Birds' "Daddy Daddy" and I think that has some good tone. I've always loved the aforementioned Kinks' tone as well.
    • February 27, 2012 4:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I use a '67 KAPA Minstrel (see below).  American body, neck by Hofner, electronics and pickups by Harmony.  The Minstrel has a thin trebly tone, very much like an old Rick.  Clean, with all three pickups engaged, it has a pleasingly lush vintage tone, very reminiscent of the Mercy sound;  overdriven, it screams, squeals, and often throws an uncontrollable fit. I suspect this is due to the dicey pickups.  It's an unpredictable beast, but that's part of the charm. 

I use the Minstrel for all my solos in THEE DIRTYBEATS, as it contrasts so well (and cuts through) Jamie's thick fuzzed-out Mosrite -- another guitar with especially good tone for garage.

The following track has examples of both tones. The opening riff is the Minstrel with overdrive, while the backing guitar during the verses is the Minstrel played clean.  The terrific solo is Jamie's Mosrite -- he totally has that fuzz thang down:

http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com/track/you-turned-your-back-on-me

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage

• January 25, 2012 12:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...and my favourite sound of guitar is in "The Calico Wall-I`m a Living Sickness".

• January 25, 2012 12:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if you are patient there is the posiibility to buy great sounding fuzz clones (!) cheap on ebay.

I bought for example a clone of the mosrite fuzzrite for 50 bucks (the original from the 60`s costs up to 400 Euros!) and it sounds perfect.

• January 10, 2012 11:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mine is the Fuzz/Tremelo combo on many Cramps records ....Best exemplified by The Animals "Don't Bring Me Down" . A hit , yes , but still an underrated sound on that record. Of course , a lot of Garage Punk 45s tried for the kingdom , if they could , using the same sound.

DADADADADDAADADADADADADADADDADADAADDAADD......

• December 19, 2011 5:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I {heart} that tone that Link Wray has. Pussy Galore's 'Cunt Tease' has a similar tone.

• December 19, 2011 4:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

My favorite is the guitar in "Shakin' All Over" by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. So cool.

Also, the guitar tone in "Primitive" by The Groupies.

• December 16, 2011 8:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bo Diddley.

• December 7, 2011 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A better experiment might be to buy a cheap speaker for your current amp to modify into Swiss-cheese. Smaller inexpensive amps tend to distort all on their lonesome. A franken-speaker in yer gigin' amp may give you a better idea when played at gig volume. Link Wray use ta' poke holes in his speakers and keep the volume ALL the way up.

Jamie said:

Cool choices. Have you ever tried the infamous "poke holes in your amp" trick? I haven't yet, but one of these days I'm going to get a small amp and try it out. I heard that Dave Davies had a small amp that he then ran through Vox AC30 I believe. If I could find a small cheap amp I would try it.
    • December 1, 2011 3:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

True. But at least they hold value. I've probably lost hundreds fixing, selling, and just throwing out crappy gear. It's nice to finally have a sound I'm satisfied with!

• November 24, 2011 12:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

but £££

• November 24, 2011 12:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nothing beats a Rickenbacker and an old fender tube amp!  

• November 22, 2011 11:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

may i sudgest the vox ac4 for that ,small ,cheap ,tube and toneful seems great

Jamie said:

Cool choices. Have you ever tried the infamous "poke holes in your amp" trick? I haven't yet, but one of these days I'm going to get a small amp and try it out. I heard that Dave Davies had a small amp that he then ran through Vox AC30 I believe. If I could find a small cheap amp I would try it.
    • August 22, 2011 4:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

im a garage rocker and no we do not ,i have no money from buying a used guitar strap for a fiver

Jamie said:
      Yeah that sounds like an ideal setup, but do garage rockers have money? I think not. :) I guess I'll have to look around quite a bit.
    • May 25, 2008 8:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We were talking about the Shin-ei earlier in this thread (a piece of Jap crap that is sublime in the way a dentist's root canal is sublime)... you can hear a great example of it on the song "Unlucky In Love" here: www.myspace.com/miketheravens2007 Tell me that doesn't set your teeth on edge...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel