Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: CAVESTOMP '07?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 16, 2007 12:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't suppose i'm the first to enquire how it went but seeing as i'm not quite sure how to navigate this 'Hideout' yet & i haven't recieved a blow by blow account from the folks at Norton in my inbox i thought i'd just throw it out there & see if there's any bites ?
    • November 30, 2007 2:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Ha Ha, well I never saw Blair's reply to the original query untill I'd finished and saved mine, so apologies Blair for saying some of the same kinda things...and Hey thanks for the praise you gave The Thanes and The Wildebeests, glad you, and lots of the crowd dugged it so...yeah I heartily concur with most of what you said too. All in all it was, at times certainly, a riotous rock'n'roll party with great DJing from Maudrey Audrey. Miriam n Billy and the Pokemonomann hisself... Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks Cavestomp! Lenny, of The Thanes and The Wildebeests
    • November 30, 2007 1:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Hey, in reply to the folks who wanted to know how the Cavestomp went...well speaking as someone who was playing there, twice, with The Thanes on the Friday, and then again with The Wildebeests on the Sunday, I can say that it went really well...of course The Sonics were totally great, actually for me a little more amazing on the Friday than they were on the Sunday, but no less exciting really - both nights they rocked the place. The Staggers who opened proceedings were really excellent. I also dug The Higher State, bits of The Alarm Clocks, ditto The Lyres, the beginning of The Strawberry Alarm Clock, well in fits n starts, and except for an odd rendition of the killer B side 'Birdman Of Alkatrash' wha? 'appened there-uh? Ha Ha...The Urges were pretty exciting at times, first time I've caught them in action, although I think their show would work a lot better in a smaller club setting - of course the same could be said about a lot of the acts on display, us included. Anyway!!! To check out my almost complete 'field report' of NY Cavestomp 2007 go to Lindsay Hutton's Next Big Thing blogspot.com site and check the archives page...cheers n best - Lenny
    • November 17, 2007 3:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Overall, I had a great time...

Friday night was good. I'd rate it as second best of the three nights. The four opening acts were good, although The Thanes ruled that particular roost. The Sonics were fun. Some said there were sound problems, but I was right up front, getting the stage mix anyway, plus raw blasts from the amps. And crushed in a crowd of delirious fans.

Saturday night started great, with the Higher State. The Urges were quite good, as well, but I think both would be more at home in a smaller venue. (That's fine by me, because that's where my favorite rock'n'roll always happens.) The Alarm Clocks have improved significantly since I saw them about 15 months earlier at another Brooklyn venue. The New Colony Six were about what I expected. Thing is, the sappy lightweight mid-60s pop thing is not my favorite. And I do love pop. But I kept thinking it was the kinda music played at a high school dance in 1966 where the guy and his girl danced close. She's on top of the world thinking he really loves her, the way he's holding her close (until the chaperone comes to separate them), while he's thinking, "Damn, she feels good!" And, "I'm gettin' some tonight!" I went and got some good kielbasy and pierogies during their set and listened from the other room. But that was still better than the friggin' Strawberry Alarm Clock, who made me think that the one time I kept an open mind and saw the Grateful Dead was...Well, let's put it this way, The Strawberry Alarm Clock made The Grateful Dead sound like the MC5. But that's probably not fair, 'cuz I friggin' HATE that trippy-hippy jazz-noodling kinda thing.

Sunday night was my favorite by far. One of my favorite newer bands, The Hall Monitors, were opening and they did themselves proud. Eddie Angel of Los Straitjackets even joined them for a couple songs. The Wildebeests came on next and tore it up, exactly the way I was hoping they would. Then the (group called) Lyres came on and did a great show, even getting an encore from the packed house. And then the Fleshtones, who also got the respect they so deserve from this crowd. People were dancing their asses off. And during the Pushup Song, they handed the bass to The Paybacks' Ms. Wendy Case and the guitar to head Hoodoo Guru Dave Faulkner and the two of them tore it up w/Mr. Milhizer bangin' out the beat. Finally, The Sonics, who despite a few miscues, were still a blast. And this time it was more comfortable, without all the pushing and shoving.

Overall, a great weekend, with some cool rock'n'roll and lotsa old and new friends.
    • November 16, 2007 4:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its the same as when you buy a new piece of gadgetry,
      1..throw away the instructions
      2..proceed to drive yourself insane
      3..dig the instructions outta the bin and try to understand something thats been translated from Japanese by a machine
      4..Eventually you'll end up using half the features and be happy enough with that
      5..hoping no-one notices', throw away the left over screws

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel