Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Why isn't there a site like Netflix for music?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 11, 2007 11:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I friggin' love Netflix, especially now that I've figured out how to have separate queues for my own movies (separate from my wife and kid's lists, I mean). I also really dig how it also gives you the option to watch a movie right there on site, right away. It makes me wish there was a (legit) site like that where you could "rent" albums from bands, so that they're sent to you in little mailers. Then you can sign in and rate them, and recommend them to your friends and all that. Is there such an animal? Or is there something (oh, like our good friends at the RIAA) that is preventing such a website from starting? I mean, you can rent CDs from the library, so what's keeping this sort of service from coming online?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• November 19, 2007 8:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We're kind of going around in circles on this topic now... did you read through the posts on the first page?

• November 18, 2007 11:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Uh, no... Netflix operates just as ANY video rental place does. It simply rents movies out to customers for a fee. Why would the film industry have a problem with that? Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc. all operate in the same way...

• November 12, 2007 8:09 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, so I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this... is the copyright law as it applies to music recordings somehow that different from the copyright law as it applies to films and other published works (i.e. allowing films and [I'm assuming] books to be rented, but not allowing this for music)? I realize WHY rentals for movies works better and yadda yadda yadda, but that still doesn't mean it wouldn't work at all for renting music... that is unless the law is written in such a way as to totally make that unlawful to do so.

• November 12, 2007 6:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wasn't talking about absolutes here. Of course there are a few people who will watch a lot of movies over an over again and we all have a couple of movies that we like to watch again and again. But thats not the norm. Most people will only watch a movie once.
    • November 11, 2007 8:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bill sent me this link. It HAS been done before!

• November 11, 2007 8:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I dunno about that. There are some movies that I'll watch multiple times. Hell, I remember one weekend a friend of mine and I watched "Strange Brew" and "Slapshot" about a dozen times each.

• November 11, 2007 7:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This has been thought of before. But they were shut down pretty quickly because it's illegal to rent out music recordings. Besides people would just be ripping everything to their harddrives anyway. The reason rentals work so well for movies and not music is because people use them differently. Movies are most often watched once and music is listened to over and over again. So it's much more economical to own music (because it's used over and over) than it is to own a movie which typically only gets used once.
    • November 11, 2007 3:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

check this out...books are the next frontier of free access if Google gets its way...which I ain't entirely opposed to...wish something similar to this was possible fer music...and here we are back to Kopper's original dream idea.
    • November 11, 2007 3:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very true but I'm willing to bet that libraries can get movies on DVD a helluva lot cheaper that what Blockbuster has to fork over.
    • November 11, 2007 2:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well plus there isn't a huge debacle going on with people copying books like there is with file sharing/bootlegging.
    • November 11, 2007 2:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm pretty sure libraries still need to purchase books, videos and records/CDs (unless they're donated).

• November 11, 2007 1:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's true but goin' back to my "library" thread, couldn't anyone just "bootleg" a book by photocopyin' the whole thing? The cost for a rental company to purchase a video fer instance, due to its mass commercial use, is crazy, yet fer libraries it is much cheaper (if there is any added fee at all) fer the same video even though "pirates" can dupe both the same...cuz libraries are non-profit they can get away with alot more (though they still are accountable to copyright law and the such) and that's why we need a World Music Library (...yeah that sounds great and hippy)
      ...a non-profit Netflix?
      ...now I'm just ramblin'......
    • November 11, 2007 1:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it would be easier for bootleggers to rip the shit off. Maybe that's why?
    • November 11, 2007 12:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah yes, that's true... forgot about the "renting vs. borrowing" aspect. But you can also check out movies from the library. I guess I'm still missing what the big difference is between renting movies vs. albums, but then again I'm still pretty hungover from last night and my brain's not quite firing on all cylinders just yet.

• November 11, 2007 12:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hate to mince meat here but unless yer library charges ya to check out CDs (late fees don't count!) yer not really rentin'...yer just borrowin' ...now if libraries started carryin' cool garagepunk CDs, ya could just inter-library loan a kickin' CD fer free (here again unless yer library charges fer that sort thing...and they shouldn't unless they're money-hungry) ...not knockin' yer idea, but once commerical interests and the RIAA get involved we might as well call the whole party off

On an aside: Once I get a TV set (again) I just may join Netflix!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel