Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: The Sonics in Cleveland next month!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 21, 2014 2:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They are playing at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland, OH, on Feb. 28, and they will share the bill with Pittsburgh's own Cynics.  Gregg Kostelich said on facebook that this gig, along with another gig that will take place in Chicago the night before at the Double Door, are both nearly sold out, so if you want to check out two great bands together in either one of those places, you might want to act fast.

• January 22, 2014 3:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So glad I finally got my tickets (Story of my struggle reported on my Sonics Event Report.) , if the show is really almost sold out.....You would'nt know , because they have'nt promoted it at all. That's the attitude clubs have , today "If you don't know , I don't care to tell you.". Of course , it's listed on their website , but , God forbid , something crazy , like flyers and handbills (There is one flyer in the venue's window......Just like there was for the abortive Sky Saxon and The Seeds/ Electric Prunes / and Johnny Echols with "Love Revisited " (Baby Lemonade , Arthur's longtime backing band.) how. Echols/Love Revisited played , at least , tho' the flyer in the window said Michael Stuart , not Echols , was on the show ! ). Of course, the Sonics show will sell out , I just could'nt have guessed , when . I have'nt seen it listed in "The Reader" , our local music / arts / sometimes human interest paper. Ok , people with keener eyes may say they say it listed , there.  Last time a friend said a show was listed there , when it was'nt , I did'nt make a big thing about it......

I know we're supposed to be dependent , now, on the internet , but , there's too damn many clubs in this town. Granted , most of them don't really warrant my attention , but , when a new venue opens , it's usually months , even years , before I hear about it. I'm not in my 20's, anymore , so clubbing does'nt take up all my spare time , as it once did.  We had fewer , and frequently better ,  clubs , back then , and they all advertized , and bands were allowed to put up flyers almost anywhere ,  so , it was easy to keep up with shows ......

• January 23, 2014 9:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What can you do, fliers and handbills are simply obsolete.  There are a couple of telephone poles located nearby my work place that still have a ton of staples stuck in them from the days of flyers, and seeing them always makes me a little nostalgic.  I can still remember seeing a flier for a bill that included Manda and the Marbles, and that made me want to check out that gig and led to my discovery of one of my favorite bands.  I can also remember posting a few fliers myself for that same band.  I still see fliers in the record stores and a few other places, so they haven't totally disappeared.

Hope you have a great time at the Sonics/Cynics gig:)

• January 23, 2014 2:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL , IT'S TRUE , PEOPLE STILL LEAVE FLYERS AND HANDBILLS , EVEN FULL SIZED POSTERS , FOR GIGS IN RECORDS STORES , HIP CLOTHING BOUTIQUES , PLACES LIKE THAT......THERE ARE JUST CERTAIN GIGS THAT NEED A PUSH AND WOULD BE COMPLEMENTED BY SOME DECENT ARTWORK , and actual information.

IN PROMOTOR'S EYES , FLYERS ARE OBSOLETE , THEN THEY BLAME THE BANDS IF THEY DON'T GET A TURNAWAY CROWD.

OOPS ! Large caps , lo siento mucho.  I got an e-mail from a friend , who's in a pretty well known band (In our fucked - up circles.), and his other band was playing , here.....  I asked him if he were sure the venue was in Chicago and not the suburbs (It's name was the same as a distant South Suburb.).

I WAS'NT ABLE  to go , anyway , because I had to meet my Girlfriend at the airport early the next morning. It turned out the venue WAS in Chicago , and not too hard to get to , had I been free. I looked up their website. It just mentioned the band's name in horrible type. No mention of what kind of music they play , nor their connection to a well known cult band. So , later , he told me no one came. Literally . Clubs CAN make cards and flyers just to let people know they exist. This club was walking distance from at least two record stores , and a five or ten minute drive or bus ride from several others.     Turned out they'd been around six years. Did'nt help that it was Monday , and freezing out , but , that's why it's the club's job to get the word out. 10 people , buying drinks , is still better than none.

It is nostalgic , on my part , when we , the fans , did'nt have to do all the work , THEN , get hit with a "Service charge" , y'know ?

I REMEMBER when you could call a club , reach a real person , ask about a show coming up. If they knew what kind of music it was , and they generally did , they'd tell you. Or , if you  got an answering machine , there'd be a recording of the bill , each night, and a rough approximation of what kind of music to expect. If I were 21 , I might go see more of these bands I've never heard of , but , I'm sort of past that. Oftentimes , there's a reason I WOULD'NT HAVE HEARD OF 'EM.

I contacted The Sonics' website , to see what shows , besides the ones you and I are going to , were coming up. There was no mention of any shows after last November. I left a message about it. I was polite. But , I'm thinking out loud , why does the band's website not have their upcoming gigs listed? They sent me an e-mail , and were also very polite , saying the website is in mid - overhaul , and , for now , upcoming dates are on their Face Book.    I failed to ask , have you seen The Sonics ? H0 - 0 - 0LY FUCK !!!!!! John

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel