Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Strypes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 29, 2014 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone here ever heard of them?  I just got their debut LP, "Snapshot," and it is very cool.  They're a bunch of teen-agers from Ireland who really kick ass.  I'm going to see them this March up in New York at the Bowery Ballroom, so I just thought I'd ask.

• February 2, 2014 7:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They played Toronto a week or 2 ago and heard they were really really good!! Young kids with great taste in music is extremely rare these days! 

Wanted to go, but the weather sucked....(I'm 2 hours away from Toronto)

• February 7, 2014 2:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glad to see others like them.  Looking forward to seeing them in NYC:)

• March 14, 2014 4:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I love 'em too.

• March 21, 2014 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw them on Tuesday night at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City, and they totally killed it:)  They did kickass covers of "Louie, Louie" and "Rockaway Beach," and they sold out the place too.  BTW, I also saw Handsome Dick Manitoba at the gig, and B.P. Fallon gave the band a poetic introduction.  

The only sour note of the day was finding out that "Snapshot" was being released here in America on that same day, so I felt a little ridiculous buying that expensive import copy on amazon.  Oh well, what can I say, I have no patience.

I spent the day before the gig roaming the streets of NYC, and I came across the Cafe Wha? on MacDougal Street.  I'm sure most of you know the significance of that place (That's where the Velvet Underground first made a name for themselves).  I kept walking down MacDougal Street until it intersected with Bleeker Street, and I walked up Bleeker Street and took note of Mercer Street when I crossed that intersection (It made me think of the Mercer Arts Center, where the New York Dolls first made a name for themselves).  I kept on walking until Bleeker ended at Bowery, and, of course, that's where CBGB used to be.  I just thought it was cool seeing all those punk rock landmarks within that area.

BTW, anyone here familiar with Tim Horton's?  I tried some of their coffee while I was out and about.  We don't have any Tim Horton's here in Pittsburgh, so that's why I never tried them.  I liked the coffee, but I'm still a committed Dunkin Donuts man.

Anyway, I would highly recommend checking out the Strypes if they come to your hometown, or to anywhere near your hometown.  And if you still don't believe me, here is a collection of videos from that gig on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrqfoPzNIvucBNY_cx4grYw/videos

• April 1, 2014 2:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This performance on Letterman is bananas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRs5G5j0SEs&list=LLrqfoPzNIvucBNY_cx4grYw

It doesn't often surprise me when there's kids who are technically proficient on instruments, afterall they have smaller, more nimble fingers and don't have jobs and responsibilities taking up all their time - but this performace is beyond that.  Love the skronky solos especially.

• May 4, 2014 9:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

BTW, anyone here familiar with Tim Horton's?  I tried some of their coffee while I was out and about.  We don't have any Tim Horton's here in Pittsburgh, so that's why I never tried them.  I liked the coffee, but I'm still a committed Dunkin Donuts man.

Tim Hortons are everywhere here in Canada. There are about 3000 of them across the country

• May 5, 2014 2:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It' s good to see teenagers playing real rock'n'roll roll, but I hope I can see teens going gaga over them instead of Harry Styles.
    • May 12, 2014 2:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know how you feel.  I was hoping to see some younger people at the Bowery Ballroom, but the crowd had the same age range at what you would see at a gig by any veteran garage band.  Oh well, I guess what they play is so far removed from what the kids are used to, i.e. Taylor Swift, One Direction, etc., that it just totally goes over their heads.

• May 12, 2014 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Sad really, when kids don't know any better than a crappy boy band. At 15, I was into Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix, along with Suede and Morrissey.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel