Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Johnny Thunders movie

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 14, 2014 9:31 AM CST
    • Untitled

"Looking For Johnny." Trailer here: http://www.colesmithey.com/filmblog/2013/12/looking-for-johnny-the-legend-of-johnny-thunders-trailer.html

I didn't know about this until today.

• February 14, 2014 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

G.Wood , I saw a different trailer , a while back , it did'nt have all this interview footage. I did'nt know Adny Shernoff and Johnny went to Grade School , together. When Wayne Kramer was talking about starting a band with Johnny (Gang War) "Against all my best instincts" , they did their first - ever gigs (Two nights) in '79 at a club called Huey's , which was right up the street from where I live , now. The (Approximate) address is now a pizza place , Johnny would approve.

This film may be more successful than Lech Kowalski's "Born To Lose" ('97 ?) IF IT GETS A PROPER THEATRE TOUR  , and goes to DVD. I think "Born To Lose " was only shown , publically, four times - in New York , Chicago , Detroit , and , I believe , Toronto , each version edited differently for each screening (More of the Syl Sylvain footage FOR THE New York screening , a Wayne Kramer interview for Detroit that did'nt appear in the Chicago print , and maybe not the others , and so forth. I saw it in Chicago, it did'nt pull any punches. Let's face it , it's not a happy tale , but one that needed to be told. This film looks like it has a sense of humor , which is also good. Johnny could be funnier than Hell when he wanted to be.

• February 15, 2014 9:22 AM CST
    • Untitled

Well! I didn't know about Born To Lose, either. I saw The Dolls play once, and later had one of his Heartbreakers albums, but I was only a casual Thunders fan during his lifetime, got more interested in him much after the fact. Anyway, yeah, let's hope the movie gets a decent run, I'd like to actually see it.

• February 15, 2014 6:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You SAW The Dolls? There are'nt many people , here, who can make that claim. Some people have told me they came to be Dolls fans by way of Johnny's music. With me , and , I guess , a lot of people , it was the opposite. I went and saw Johnny in '86 , even though I did'nt own any of his records (They were nearly impossible to obtain in Dallas , at the time.), I was just a Dolls fan , and had'nt even been one for a very long, though my Brother had their second LP when it came out , in '74.

I've talked to people who knew about Johnny in his lifetime , but did'nt become fans until later . It will have been 23 years in April.

• February 15, 2014 8:52 PM CST
    • Untitled

Yeah, they played in New Brunswick, NJ, once. One of the advantages of being old, I guess. I also saw the Doors and Janis Joplin, and lots of other classic rock bands.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel