Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: New records you've acquired

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • February 26, 2014 6:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Got several things recently

From Ugly Pop, I got the Bent Wind and Thor's Hammer reissue LPs. Both of which are are totally killer records and look amazing. Bent Wind is heavey psych from Toronto and Thor's Hammer is some great Icelandic garage punk - both originally released in the mid 60s

A friend, went back to the UK for the holidays and grabbed me some stuff from current London bands - Unfortunately it took until late Feb for us to get together...stuff he picked up for me:

No - Great Space Lp - (Hardcore, ex Shitty Limmits - better than average)
      Shopping - Consumer Complaints Lp (This reminds me of the Slits or a surfy type Suburban Lawns - female fronted lo-fi, surf inspired rock 'n' roll)
      DiE - 7'' ep (D beat - Discharge sounding UK 82 hardcore, I think this is somebody from Quango?, this record is okay, but same as tonnes of other current hardcore, slightly better)
      Personnel - 7'' (Current powerpop, made obvious with a rotary phone on the cover - it's okay, but I'm not all that big on powerpop revival—my friend digs them a lot, so maybe if this is your thing you too may like them)

Also got two demos which I have yet to listen to. Both London bands as well. 
      Frau - demo cassette
      Ano - demo cassette

• February 27, 2014 7:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Non new releases I picked up recently:

Devo- Oh No It's Devo. (Never bothered with anything after the first 3....but after hearing this, I decided that it's my 2nd favourite after their 1st. Underrated album)

Status Quo- On the Level. (A dollar bin record that's way better than the ridiculous album cover would imply. Actually, that can be said for most Status Quo records up to the 1975.)

New releases
      Teengenerate - 5 Covers EP 7'' (includes a killer cover of "Boy From Nowhere", which I like to think is the "Blank Generation"  for rural kids who grew up in the sticks)

Liquor Store- In the Garden. (Picked this up last November. My favourite album of 2013. Has a Dictators/Radio Birdman vibe to it)

• February 27, 2014 8:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I pretty much like all DEVO albums, even the one that came out a few years ago - Not Hardcore Devo (which is amazing), but the studio LP. My favourite is probably the second one, Duty Now For the Future—or at least it has my favourite song "Smart Patrol/ Mr. DNA."

I've heard nothing of the new Teengenerate record, would love to pick that up. "Boy From Nowhere" is a killer song

Since the ast post, I got a reissue of the Rings - I Wanna Be Free (Chiswick) 7''. Been trying to find an original for a while, but this will do for now. Just recently learned the singer for this band was the drummer of the Pink Fairies and the Pretty Things at one point. Crazy. 

• February 27, 2014 9:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Duty Now" is great! Gotta be their most fucked up album, not counting the Hardcore Devo stuff.

You probably already know that the new Teengenerate record is actually the clean '94 "Egg Studio" sessions of Get Action. I wouldn't say it's necessarily better than Get Action  (a top 10 alltime favourite) , just different. It's well worth picking up. And by "clean", I mean clean by Teengenerate standards. It's still REALLY dirty. Comes with great pics and liner notes too.

• July 12, 2014 9:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• July 15, 2014 8:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lately..Hmmmm "Five Easy Pieces"soundtrack , Johnny Hallyday '66-'68 Psych and Cracker Soul comp , magnifuckin' fique ! The Lords (German Beat Legends) Best of and rarities set on Bear Family , Psychedelic Radio Spots (B- Film and Rock 'n'Roll radio spots from The 60's.) , Five Keys on Aladdin , GONN "LOADED" , That one South African band they say was Punk but sounds more like Gang of Four (Not that that's bad , but...) , some good Rockabilly comps , inc. "Rock 'n'Roll Orgy" and a great 4 disc set on Proper (WHO RULE !!!)of Country , R'n'B , Doo Wop , early R'n'R. Comedy - Johnathan Winters w/ a Frank Frazetta cover, someone McCallister (Black Drag performer , produced by Rudy Ray Moore.).

• July 19, 2014 9:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a coupla new records that i've blown my wad to:

catl....This Shakin' House LP on CATL Records. 2 piece blues/rock'n'roll combo outta Toronto. Drumbs, guitar and vocals with some added harp/keybd/banjo to fill out the sound on this, their 4th LP. Slightly more produced than previous, but still raw and alive enough to keep me intested. Way different than their live show which is a dance and sweat marathon of good times.  This is a band that would should be on the Voodoo Rhythm label.

Panic...Bad Fantasies....self released by a bunch of veterans of the garagepunk wars from Toronto. Sounds like a bad LSD trip prior to suicide as all coping mechanisms are lost and there's only one thing left to do....here's a link to give it a listen.

http://soundofpanic.bandcamp.com/

There's also a brand new Simply Saucer 12" just out called Baby Nova. Recorded in Detroit w/Jim Diamond and out on Schizophrenic records from Hamilton Ontario Canada. I've got a download, but need the real deal for the full sonic assault.

• July 19, 2014 11:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

This Panic is interesting. The singer sort of sounds like Dave Thomas (Ubu). Cool stuff. 

We shared a practic space with Catl at one point. Seen them play live a few times, they were really good. They split up, I think due to a couple within the band breaking up. 

I've heard about the new Simply Saucer, but have yet to hear any tracks off of it. I'll definitely be picking that album up when it's out. 

• July 19, 2014 12:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey! I just saw that Panic album down the street. Unfortunately I didn't have the money (10 bucks, how sad) to buy it. If it is still there in a few days I will probably grab it. 

• July 19, 2014 3:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Matt: Grab the Panic LP if you can, don't think they pressed many. And Panic played a show with Simply Saucer somewhere in Toronto last night....facebook told me so, so it must be true!!

catl did break up for awhile when their drummer Andrew (from the Deadly Snakes) left the band. They are now a 2 piece w/Sarah on the drumbs/vocals and Jamie on guitar/vocals. Way more primitive than they used to be, think you'd dig them.

• July 19, 2014 4:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Ah, that makes sense. Andrew is still in our practice space, but with a new band and Catl are no longer there. I just assumed they dissolved. I will have to check out the new lineup.

Yeah, I will definitely try and grab that Panic album. I can probably have the owner set it aside for me anyway. I wish I had heard of them yesterday. Although I didn’t even know Simply Saucer were playing, which would have been cool to see. The downfall of not being on facebook.

• July 19, 2014 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Listening to Panic. Reminds ME of Pere Ubu , and I have'nt even heard the singer , yet. There he is. Yep , sounds like Dave Thomas to me , too.....

I had no idea Simply Saucer were still playing out , but , sort of assumed they still regrouped when they felt like it.   They're one of many "So Rare , it Should'nt Have Happened" gigs at The Empty Bottle in Chicago , that I missed. Others included Death (I just missed them again , only because I forgot they were playing.) , Teenage Jesus and The Jerks , and a brief side projet between Sterling Morrisson and Maureen Tucker ,shortly before the former passed on. I did see Ya Ho Wa 13 , there , that falls under the category of shows that almost should'nt have happened.   It's a real pain in the ass to get to that venue on public transportation , especially in teh winter , but , every so often , they throw us non - Alt Rockers a bone. 

This really does sound like early Ubu with a slightly different instrumental set up. That's not a bad thing !

• July 24, 2014 9:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weird....I was just about to say that I bought an album by a band called Panic last week. But they're dutch, and from '78.

• July 25, 2014 7:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hell Yeah! That Panic is fantastic! I only recently heard of them. I was in Amsterdam this past spring and I always try and find out about local bands wherever I travel. Somebody suggested I check’em out. I was unable to find any of their records. What is the one you got? I think the singer, Peter ten Seldam was in several bands. Check out this video; doesn’t it look like just about the greatest time ever!!!! Such a party!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDyAIVGdyFI80&v=yAIVGdyFI80

• July 25, 2014 8:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool! Yeah, the album is called "13" and it has Baby Please on it. It's reissue that came out a couple of years back. The original goes for a lot, apparently. Love that video!

• July 25, 2014 11:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Holy FUCK!!!!! Killer video!!!!

Thanx for telling me about the Dutch Panic!!!

• July 27, 2014 11:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

My friend opened a new record store down the street from me, which is where I got the records above from. It's called Chairs Missing. If you are in Toronto, you should swing by.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chairs-Missing/260325590841414

http://instagram.com/chairsmissingrecords

• The following users like Matt this post:
    • July 27, 2014 6:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I SURE WISH THEM THE BEST....As we established , earlier , in America , all ROCK and no SUCK  is the kiss of death  for an American Record store. 

• July 27, 2014 7:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

..... I probably could have phrased that to say , it's less likely to fail (A record store of mostly great stuff.) in the states than in Europe , and , probably Canada , too. Of course , we have record stores that lean toward ROCK , but , they have to be chock full of Alt - Rock and Hipster faves to survive at all.....

That does'nt bother me in the least , IF they have something I'm interested in , but , I'm probably not going to make the trip if it isn't likely they'll have something I'd want......

• August 1, 2014 3:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Fells" on Estrus Records, classified as budget rock. Anyway, a really exciting and consistent album of the early 90's. I discovered it in a record shop in Brussels, the guy was playing it. A nice discovery. 

"Get attuned to our tyme" by the extraordinary, shamely unknown X-Ray Harpoons. This is their first LP, several years after an EP and a couple of singles. German folks. I saw them 3 months ago in Paris. We were 50 or so. The guys sounded great, especially the farfisa and the guitar. Plus one of the nicest voices of these days' garage!!!

• August 1, 2014 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So my Panic album came in the mail about 2 days later after I wrote that. "baby please"is supposed to be on it, and it's even written on the back of it, but it's not included on the album! not sure if it's test press fuckup or not, but ah well. The entire album rules, nonetheless.

• August 1, 2014 8:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I REMEMBER THE FELLS.   I was helping to promote a bill they were supposed to do , here , with The Royal Pendletons and The Hentchmen , if I remember rightly. THe SHOW WAS CANCELLED , tho' not because of The Fells.

• August 2, 2014 11:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Fells are one of my favourite bands of that genre/ era. I have their Lp, which is great. However my favourite release is the 10’’ they put out. “Star Time” is such a great song. It’s made numerous appearances on mix tapes. They have a healthy slew of good singles too. It’d be nice if there was a singles comp for the Fells. Never did get to see them live. Great recordings.

• August 2, 2014 8:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...I think I still have one of their singles....a lot of that Estrus stuff did'nt stick with me , a few years later. But , I liked The Fells , just never got around to hearing them much.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel