Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Please Explain: What Is Garage Punk?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 2, 2014 3:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weird. I must've missed this article... a year and a half ago!

http://www.mtviggy.com/articles/please-explain-garage-punk/

P.S. What the hell is "MTVIGGY"?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 8, 2014 4:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Heavy, high-energy rock n' roll! https://thefatalitiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• October 12, 2014 11:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

It was an interesting read, alright.
    • October 15, 2014 6:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

That article isn't entirely horrible.

• October 17, 2014 2:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

<>

funner, weirder, louder music than whatever you are listening to

I like that. Maybe that's the definition right there.

Thanks for posting, Kopper.

This post was edited by swt at November 13, 2014 9:55 AM CST
    • October 17, 2014 4:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I love the idea of Little Richard being more punk than Sum 41. I even regard Chuch Berry as the original punk rocker.
    • October 17, 2014 10:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

To answer Kopper's question:

MTV Iggy, a division of Viacom Media Networks, is focused on bringing cutting-edge global music and pop-culture to the U.S.

So there you have it.

Probably named for Iggy Izalea, whatever that is.

• October 17, 2014 10:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.... I think Hanson is probably more Punk than Sum 41.... And , of course , real , WILD , Rock'n'Roll , which Little Richard perfected , already had the raw energy and speedfreak tempos that Punk drew from 20 years later.  Personally ,  I still want to wreck the room , everytime I hear a Little Richard record.  

Chuck Berry , I never thought of him as a precursor to Punk , but , of course , he's one of a select few that really defined Rock'n'Roll. You'll find Berry's music in Beat , Brit R'N'B , Boogie  , Hard Rock , Pub Rock , and Punk Rock , too....Even if The Punks were quick to diss the originators of R'n'R , while bringing R'n'R back up from what appeared to be it's grave. Rock was'nt dead , just sick.

In Junior High School , I was friends with a Black fella who told me Little Richard was a Punk.

But....ummm...he meant something different , entirely. 

• November 13, 2014 2:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My mum is more punk than Sum 41.

It's a bad article not the worst. They interviewed King Khan and I love the guy so it's worth a read. Deffo don't agree with the White Stripes and the Black Lips being garage punk. I think the author was just scratching around for big names to insert into the article.
    • November 13, 2014 8:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Danny said:
      My mum is more punk than Sum 41. It's a bad article not the worst. They interviewed King Khan and I love the guy so it's worth a read. Deffo don't agree with the White Stripes and the Black Lips being garage punk. I think the author was just scratching around for big names to insert into the article.

I read the feature and I thought the big names were inserted to attract readers. Mind you, they got King Khan accurately and gave him the credit he was due.
    • November 13, 2014 9:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Black Lips are definitely garage punk. You can hear '60s punk in their music, esp. '60s trash like the Keggs, et al. Just because they got big doesn't make them any less garage punk. Same for the White Stripes, Hives, etc. It's all good. If you don't like a particular band's style, that's fine. But don't demean them by saying they don't fall within a certain genre...

• November 13, 2014 3:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

køpper said:

Black Lips are definitely garage punk. You can hear '60s punk in their music, esp. '60s trash like the Keggs, et al. Just because they got big doesn't make them any less garage punk. Same for the White Stripes, Hives, etc. It's all good. If you don't like a particular band's style, that's fine. But don't demean them by saying they don't fall within a certain genre...

You could argue for the Black Lips but I can't see it in the White Stripes.  Sure Jack White's background was in garage rock but the White Stripes were always a very commercial sounding band which for me is very un-garage punk.  Its nothing against Jack White but the White Stripes were always a band designed to sell millions of records.  For me personally a part and parcel of garage punk is to not be that.

• November 13, 2014 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The White Stripes' first three albums were on Sympathy for the Record Industry. NONE of those albums had a commercial sound. Hell, they were a two-piece, primitive as hell. They were unique and good at what they did, and got noticed. That's why they got signed and made it big. Had nothing to do with being commercial. Seriously, listen to their first three albums. I used to play them on my radio show along with all the other garage stuff from back in that time period and fit right in, back before they were a household name. Just because they made it big later on does not diminish the fact that their early stuff is DEAD-ON garage rock.

• November 13, 2014 4:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

køpper said:

You're not wrong there, Kopper.
    • November 13, 2014 6:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Danny said:

You could argue for the Black Lips but I can't see it in the White Stripes.  Sure Jack White's background was in garage rock but the White Stripes were always a very commercial sounding band which for me is very un-garage punk.  Its nothing against Jack White but the White Stripes were always a band designed to sell millions of records.  For me personally a part and parcel of garage punk is to not be that.

Well, that's not really anything to do with the style of music they're playing.  I mean, if a band wants to make money, that's their business.  Also, I would disagree that they sound commercial.  The roots of their sound were always based in garage rock, and they also had a quirky, experimental side to their music.  Personally, I think it's weird that they got as big as they did in the first place.  I don't know how to explain it.

Heavy, high-energy rock n' roll! https://thefatalitiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• November 14, 2014 1:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll back down on this one and try and check out their first album ; ) Although I'll stick with my guns and continue to say that elephant and afterwards was very commercial in nature.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel