Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Paul Revere of Paul Revere & the Raiders Dies...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 7, 2014 8:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Probably heard it elsewhere on social media, but if not here is a link to the CNN article...bummer.  Great NW rocker gone forever...  :/

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/05/showbiz/paul-revere-obit/index.html?eref=edition

Mark

www.fifty-fourfortyorfightradio.com

• October 8, 2014 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the link , Mark. I looked up all the news coverage and personal tributes I could find , but , I had'nt seen this one.  I never met Revere , but , he struck me as  man with a real passion for living.

I saw the latter - day Raiders twice , and ,yes , it was a carefully choreographed Oldies show , but , those guys were TIGHT , and Revere had perfect comic timing. If you went in , expecting to be entertained , not rocked into oblivion , like , admittedly , Mark Lindsay can still do on a good night , you could have done a lot worse. I made peace with the fact that this was not the fer - real Raiders of ages past , but , it was very hard to watch this man , who had an energy to rival a Hyperactive child , and not be affected.

Paul Revere's key influences were Jerry Lee Lewis and Spike Jones. He spoke of seeing Jones performing in a movie theatre , and how he wanted to  translate that controlled manic energy into a Rock'n'Roll setting.

He got his chance , not only going on to lead the band that would later stand up to The British Invasion (Along with labelmated ,The Byrds.), but , arguably becoming one of the true Founding Fathers of Garage Rock , along with their esteemed peers , The Wailers.

He was the consumnate Rock'n'Roll Businessman , too , decades before Gene Simmons , but , he never made a career out of being a tool.  Plus , he looked better in his 70's than Gene did in his 30's. The fact that Kiss is now in the Hall of Fame , and The Raiders (Who were already eligible when the first inductees were chosen.) continue to be pushed back , because they wore "Silly costumes" (Holy contradiction , Batman !) and employed theatrics both cool and comical (That were lifted by everyone from Kiss to Slade to The Fleshtones  - The latter two , at least , admitted as much.) makes the Hall , not one of the biggest Rock'n'Roll bands of the 60's , look that less credible ....

But , it's ironic , The Ramones and The Clash had to lose one key member , each , before being inducted , and The Dave Clark Five had to lose two original members , all of which , you could say , was unfortunate circumstances.....But , with Revere's passing , The Raiders have now lost three key members , will that improve their chances of being recognized by The Hall ?   And , should they care ? 

Yeah , Paul won't be back , in physical form , at least , but , somewhere in the world , it'll always be "Louie Louie" time. 

• October 8, 2014 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Damn, I hadn't even heard about this. That freaking sucks.

Heavy, high-energy rock n' roll! https://thefatalitiesmusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• October 11, 2014 9:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We only got to see Paul Revere and The Raiders once, it was the early 80's and going in, we weren't expecting a whole lot. It was at the Western Fair, a yearly family event in sleepy London Ontario and the band was at the main horse race stadium that probably sat several thousand. They played on a temporary stage that was quite elaborate and had lots of room for the band to move around on.

And move they did, choreographed moves, the high kicking dance steps, the uniforms and Paul pushing around his organ that had the grille of a classic car attached to the front...headlights, horns and all that were put to good use! These guys absolutely rocked out and played so many of the hits it was incredible!! And between songs, lots of jokes and in stories about the band and what they did back when they were major stars! And the band members had all been with Paul for years and years making for an incredibly tight show! This ranks up there in one of my all time fave shows!!!

RIP Paul Revere!!!  And thanx for giving the American music scene a kick in the ass when it was needed!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel