Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Garage Blues

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 11, 2015 2:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Garage Blues

What are your favorite garage-blues bands or songs? What old blues songs covered by garage/R&R bands (of ANY era), or original songs done by garage acts, are at the top of your lists?

I'll start with one by Poison 13:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 12, 2015 12:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• February 12, 2015 12:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

• February 13, 2015 1:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Violent Love (OTIS rush) Dr. Feelgood.    Homework ( Otis Rush) Fleetwood Mac , Dr. Feelgood.

Boogie Chillun (John Lee Hooker) - John Fred and The Playboy Band.   The Hunter (Albert King) Blue Cheer .

Catfish Blues (Muddy Waters) Groundhogs.     Reconsider Baby (Lowell Fulsom) - Elvis Presley , Rockin' Johnny Band. 

When I was a Cowboy (Leadbelly)  Standells.

Plain Spoken - The Seeds as The Sky Saxon Blues Band  (  Written for them by Muddy Waters , who , apparently , never recorded a version of his own.).

Cocksucker Blues ( Rolling Stones ) Pork Dukes (It IS a Blues.).

I Can't Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters ) Billy Hancock , Rolling Stones.

Cadiilac Jack (Andre Williams ) Cub Koda.... I can think of more.

Bands - Gibson Bros. , '68 Comeback , Gories , Knoxville Girls , Jack O' Fire ,  (Count) Bishops , Dr. Feelgood , Little Bob Story , Cub Koda and The Points ,  Stack Waddy , Pretty Things , Downliners Sect , and especially Hound Dog Taylor and The House Rockers.

• February 17, 2015 10:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Man , I almost forgot .  GREAT EXAMPLE OF AN EARLY pUNK bLUES 45 WOULD BE  THE UNCALLED FOUR'S "Grind Her Up" b/w "Cotton Fields". Based in Waco (!) , the band centered around marrieds ,  Randy and Donna Reeves , two Rock'n'Roll lifers (Sadly , Donna left this life a few years ago. She was a great , great lady). RANDY WOULD GO ON TO WRITE FOR NEXT bIG tHING , AND PLAY A CRUCIAL FACTOR IN GETTING Ronnie Dawson's classic  material released on vinyl. HE ALSO RECORDED JACK STARR'S LAST SESSIONS , MADE VIDEOS ON HIM , AND LED NOTORIOUS THE ROBERT TILTON FAN CLUB.The Reeves dropped out of performing upon starting  a family. Donna hosted a Rockabilly program on KNON radio in Dallas....THE BAND WAS ORIGINALLY JOINED BY JEFF SATAN , later with Sata's Cheerleaders and Satan's Satellites , and aspired to a sound something akin to The Cramps ,Tav Falco and early solo Alex Chilton , but , came up with something entirely their own , a truly fucked up car-crash blend off PUNK AND BLUES that foresaw the rise of The Gibson Bros. THE BAND MADE A VIDEO FOR "GRIND HER UP" a few years later. Look it up on You Tube.

• February 27, 2015 9:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

good thread. are there any good current blues punk bands? i play drums in one here in sf (link in profile, shameless self promo) and we're having some trouble finding bands to network/play with.

• February 28, 2015 11:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

Ian Donahue said:

good thread. are there any good current blues punk bands? i play drums in one here in sf (link in profile, shameless self promo) and we're having some trouble finding bands to network/play with.

Check out John Schooley's last couple albums... Dead Mall Blues and The Man Who Rode a Mule Around the World. Good stuff!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel