Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite 45s

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 4, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have been buying 45s like crazy lately and would love to know what everyone's favorites are. Personally, I can't stop listening to the Ketamines 'Line by Line' 7". Really great stuff.

Honorable mentions would be GG King - 'Adult Rock' and Thee Ludds - 'Where to Begin'

Post up your favorites new and old.

• September 30, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was fortunate to be given a big box of 45's from my drummer with tons of old doo-wop, mo-town, and early rock.  Pride of the collection is an original Kingsmen "Louie Louie" with "Haunted Castle" on the B-side.

also Buddy Holly Peggy Sue on Coral records, and The Chantelles "Maybe".  

Honorable mention because they are tot 45's but just 7", but Shannon & The Clams "Hunk Hunt" and Mosquito Bandito "One Man Bandit" have been getting lots of play from me recently

• September 30, 2012 9:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alice Cooper ~ Halo Of Flies (1971) was released as a Holland singl...

(Left)

45cat - Wreckless Eric - Reconnez Cherie / Rags And Tatters - Stiff - Netherlands - SRS 510.063

(Right)

• September 11, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 3, 2012 11:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Been doing the same a lot lately-- seems like no one here cares at all about this stuff, but I'm scooping up Whispering Pigg 45s and the like on a weekly basis.

Rev. Norb said:

I found a crap-ton of great 45s in a local store's 20/$4.99 section...it took some digging, but i walked out of there with sixty great records, the highlights of which are "Let's Go ((Pony))" by the ROUTERS, "Raunchy" by BILL JUSTIS, "Don't Be Cruel" by the BILL BLACK COMBO, "Wayward Wind" by the CENTURYS, "Beat '65" by the SURFARIS, "Groovy Grubworm" by HARLOW WILCOX & THE OAKIES, "Sausalito" by the OHIO EXPRESS, and, of course, the immortal "Apples, Peaches Polka" by Green Bay's own ALVIN STYCZYNSKI. Nothing better than a bulk 45 run, i say! I love those instrumental records of the late 50's/early 60's; i prize those more highly than straight rockabilly or 60's punk records although all are cool and reet and such.

• September 3, 2012 11:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I found a crap-ton of great 45s in a local store's 20/$4.99 section...it took some digging, but i walked out of there with sixty great records, the highlights of which are "Let's Go ((Pony))" by the ROUTERS, "Raunchy" by BILL JUSTIS, "Don't Be Cruel" by the BILL BLACK COMBO, "Wayward Wind" by the CENTURYS, "Beat '65" by the SURFARIS, "Groovy Grubworm" by HARLOW WILCOX & THE OAKIES, "Sausalito" by the OHIO EXPRESS, and, of course, the immortal "Apples, Peaches Polka" by Green Bay's own ALVIN STYCZYNSKI. Nothing better than a bulk 45 run, i say! I love those instrumental records of the late 50's/early 60's; i prize those more highly than straight rockabilly or 60's punk records although all are cool and reet and such.

• September 3, 2012 9:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks, Matt! Yeah, just released a few killer '60s 45s-- all garage monsters, authorized with picture sleeves, inserts, remastered sound and bands paid. Check 'em out here if you care: uglypop.bigcartel.com
      As for favourite 45s, the last couple days, it's been The Merry-Go-Round's "You're A Very Lovely Woman" 45. Emitt Rhodes '66.

I've been listening to the new Ugly Pop 45s recently. I tried to start a topic about the label, because they are doing so much interesting stuff lately, but apparently I was denied or it takes a week + to approve such garage rock topics.

Anyway, the new Ugly Pop singles - Bent Wind, A Passing Fancy, and the Northwest Company - All obscure Canadian 60s garage bands that would have fit easily on any of the BFTG comps. Easily my favorite reissues of 2012.

• September 3, 2012 6:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Wow , great sleeve art. "Kuk" , of course , is a classic. I have the single with the also - classic "Baja" ON THE FLIP.

Yeah, the U.S. release had "Kuk" paired with "Baja" instead of "Surf Party". Both great songs and long time favorites of mine. The U.S. 45 is somewhat infamous in Sweden since "kuk" in Swedish is a strongly vulgar word for penis and "baja" means to empty the bowels, haha.

• September 2, 2012 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I've been listening to the new Ugly Pop 45s recently. I tried to start a topic about the label, because they are doing so much interesting stuff lately, but apparently I was denied or it takes a week + to approve such garage rock topics.

Anyway, the new Ugly Pop singles - Bent Wind, A Passing Fancy, and the Northwest Company - All obscure Canadian 60s garage bands that would have fit easily on any of the BFTG comps. Easily my favorite reissues of 2012.

• September 1, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Almost everything put out on estrus

• August 30, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I totally love 45s, and some of my very favourites would be The Masters Apprentices "Undecided', The Kinks "Waterloo Sunset", Small Faces "All Or Nothing", Ramones "Do You Wanna Dance", Haunted "1-2-5", MC5 "Looking At You" and Buzzcocks "Ever Fallen In Love".
      Here's a pretty casual blog dedicated to various 45s in my own colection. Hasn't been updated recently, but I'll get back to that as summer winds down.

http://singles-minded.tumblr.com/

• August 30, 2012 5:27 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Was there a picture sleeve with that? What else did you find?

• August 29, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FAVE RECENT 45 SCORE - Paul Revere and The Raiders "Orbit - The Spy" b/w "Beatnik Sticks".

This was their very first single , on Gardena. I thought it was the second , but , I looked it up (Not on WIKI! HA!) . "Orbit" is a killer Surf / Ventures -ish instrumental , that goes thru about 10  tempo changes. It's like they spliced ten songs onto one , and it worked.  "B.S." is similar to the follow - up and their first hit , "Like , Long Hair", BUT , i THINK IT'S THE BETTER OF THE TWO.

"Orbit - The Spy" was mentioned in an article in Kicks ,  IN THE 80'S , about "Grunge Guitar" , back when the more or less self - coined term MEANT something.

Don't envy me , tho'. It took me YEARS to find this , and it's certainly playable , but not in great shape. I had to root thru the cellar of a local antique store that REEKS of soot. My eyes were burning for two days when I went back there , this past week .

• August 29, 2012 7:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow , great sleeve art. "Kuk" , of course , is a classic. I have the single with the also - classic "Baja" ON THE FLIP.

• August 29, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great EP. A lot of people thought they were Canadians , or , at least , Canucks relocated to Texas (In a sort of Draft - Dodger exchange program.Sorry , that was'nt funny. I don't think Canada HAD the draft.). In fact , I found a pretty good Canadian 60's and 70's comp on a big label , and "Writing on The Wall' was on it ! These guys were'nt even HONORARY Canadians , like Ronnie Hawkins. Oh , well.

• August 16, 2012 7:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 16, 2012 4:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Astronauts - Surf Party b/w Kuk

• August 15, 2012 4:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is the 7" I've played most over the last couple of months. It's the Wobbly Lamps ep, 3 tracks of low-fi, low-end garage goodness. Reviews have drawn comparisons to Billy Childish, Sonics, Country Teasers, The Fall, King Khan, Moonhearts, Cramps, Make-Up, Trashmen, Stooges, Thee Oh Sees, Slug Guts and Radar Eyes.

If that sounds like your cuppa tea, grab a copy here http://polyvinylcraftsmen.blogspot.co.uk/

• July 31, 2012 8:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I gotta agree with both of you - as soon as I saw the discussion topic, in fact, I thought of that Brides record.   Oddly enough, I just picked it up last month.  Some foolish or desperate person sold his entire HUGE punk collection (over a thousand records) to my local record store in June, and I was able to get my hands on a bunch of Rip-Off Records releases, including the aforementioned Brides 45. 

Matt said:

Totally agree with that estimation on the Brides 45. PC Action is my favorite Time Flys song too.

• July 31, 2012 2:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Too many to sensibly list, so here are five. Supercharger - Icepick 7" on Pre-BS. The aforementioned Teengenerate release on Wild Wild. Buzzcocks' Love You More on United Artists. The Undertones - You've Got My Number (Why Don't You Use It?) on Sire. Magazine - A Song From Under The Floorboards on Virgin. Although the Peel session version of the latter is the one which really makes the hairs of my neck prick up in nostalgic attention.

• July 31, 2012 12:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

favorite 7" and one i recently got my hands on:

The Gories - Nitroglycerine/Makin Love

just perfect.

• July 30, 2012 6:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU CAN SAY "GROOVY" . NO BARRIERS , HERE (I DON'T THINK.) . Oh , yeah ! The Troggs kept recording well into the '90s , if not later. The last major release , that I know of , was "Athens Andover", a mostly strong LP/CD , inspite of , not because of , direct  REM involvement. That was in the early 90's. I interviewed Reg Presley in 2000 , and , at that time , he said they had a World Cup song for Manchester United that was ready to go , but , the label went bankrupt , so , they decided to hang on to it until the next World Cup. Don't think anythng ever came of it....But , until Presley's extremely unfortunate recent battle with Lung Cancer  put a nearly 50 year career on ice , The Troggs were still kicking ass and taking names as of a year or so ago. There's plenty of evidence of that on You Tube , as well.

• July 30, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FAVORITES THAT i DON'T HAVE  - The Troggs "Just A Little Too Much" , RAW records , maybe '78?   The REAL Garage Punk , The Johnny Burnette/Ricky Nelson  classic gets the Troggs treatment. RAW also released the outstanding "Showbiz" single by The Downliners Sect.

• July 25, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dirty Wurds - Why / Takin My Blues Away

Him & The Others - I Mean It / She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel