Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Thinking Posterity

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 12, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"The young thinks only of now.
      The old thinks only of yesterday.
      When shall a man think of tomorrow?"
      -Chabis Yodofsky

I should start this off by declaring myself if not in, then most certainly approaching, that "old" category. That's not to me a bad thing. Bill Haley and Comets were hip when I was a youngin, Elvis's "Hound Dog" was top ten before my age reached that nice round number, and my own career as a working musician closely matched that of the Beatles. But what brought the words above to mind was my recent experience of seeing my bands recordings from the sixties -- recordings I and the other band members had long thought forgotten -- suddenly come back to life pressed in new pristine vinyl.

The band was "The Abstracts" whose one released recording, "Always Always" never truly made the charts. The band had been together just two and half years, made some noise, and then were (I thought) completely forgotten. Then in the past year all that changed. And in April our first LP -- from recordings made some 45 years ago -- was a recommended selection of the month in England's Record Collector magazine.

I won't go into the details of how this came to pass. That is not my purpose here. What is is this: To encourage all my fellow musician friends here on GaragePunk Hideout to think beyond today. To take steps now to preserve what you are doing for posterity. 

In this The Abstracts were lucky. Well, I guess it was luck. For certainly I had not foreseen that anyone would care 45 years in the future (I.e., today) that pristine versions of our then unreleased studio recordings would interest anyone. Nor that someday a record producer would be asking us to share what photos we had of the band. And yet we'd saved those things.

"Only once before in all the records we have produced has a band been able to provide photos of this quality" Those were the words of the record's producer.

And good quality recordings. Not just of the studio sessions but live tracks too. Tracks that showed posterity what the band had meant to our fans back then. As Mike Stax put it in his recent Ugly Things review:

"Abstractmania? Who knew?"

For The Abstracts this has been a real trip. A totally unexpected one.  One totally out of mind when we were 16 and 17 year olds making music back in the mid-sixties.

So here is the point...

This could be your band's future too.

But only if you preserve it. 

-Don

• June 13, 2012 6:14 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Nice. Authentic Long Island Sound!

• June 12, 2012 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Break-A-Way Records has a few short mp3s on their website

There is also a video of our most well known song -- Always Always -- found right here on Garage Punk Hideout.

-don

• June 12, 2012 5:23 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Hey, that's really cool. Where can I hear some of this Abstractia?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel