Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: SG or Tele?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 12, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I first posted this short meditation on my GPH blog and appreciated kopper's suggestion that some of you folks here might have some valuable thoughts to share...

As most all of that play electric guitar know, that while there are dozens and dozens of worthy and desirable guitars 'out there' (both past and present), they almost all fall into one of two sound categories: Fender and Gibson; single coil of humbucker.

I started out as a Gibson man - something that is rather funny considering that my first love as a guitarist was surf music. But my first Gibson was equipped with P90s - a single coil PU that could pretty well emulate the Fender single coli sound, especially when reverb soaked.

Not too many years later I bought an old Tele and after replacing the Fender neck PU with one taken from an old Gretch I found what became my signature sound: Bright leads thickened with intense Marshall amp overdrive and the type of heavy rhythm pulse that can only come from a HB equipped guitar.

But here's the catch that leads to my title question:  Of late I have been playing almost solely on a Martin dreadnaught acoustic -- one loaded with medium gauge strings - string that by electric guitar standards are as thick as hemp rope. And this week I will be playing and singing with a band for the first time in quite a while. How then can I transfer my present style best to an electric?

I'm leaning towards using an Gibson SG -- a twin humbucker equipped guitar. Certainly that will allow me to well replicate the strong chordal pulses I have become accustomed to playing the Martin. Or a second possibility is to take my beloved Tele and run it through an old late 80s Peavey and take advantage of that amp' famed "soak" knob to thicken the sound.

Anyone here ever had to make a similar transition?  Your thought would be much appreciated! :)

-don

• June 19, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SG hands down. I like a really fat sound

• June 15, 2012 1:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, tonight's the night. Spent several hours yesterday playing different guitars through different amps.

The later was mostly an exercise. For while the old Silveface Twin won the tone contest it is too bloody heavy to lug downstairs, load in and out of the car, and then down into a basement for a one night stand. The DuoVerb isn't much lighter. And that leaves the little Peavey.

The guitar choice was harder. In the end it came down between a 1980 Gibson ES-Artist an the '03 SG. I decided on the later for its beautiful tone and long, 23 fret, butter smooth neck.

I know at some point during the evening I'll wish I had made a different choice. Ideally I'd have all the guitars available and if not several amps at least one that can truly kick ass -something that little Peavey just can't do for all it's many capabilities.

More later. Wish me luck!

-don
    • June 12, 2012 7:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I have lots of guitars to choose from, but its that choosing that can be difficult!

• June 12, 2012 5:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

definitely SG, with 'fat bottom skinny top' strings.

• June 12, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If the strings on an SG aren't big enough, why not play an SG 12 string?

• June 12, 2012 2:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yup, good point about the nut, so it's obvious that you need a new guitar! Any excuse....One that you can tailor to your specific needs. As Winston so rightly points out, there's a ton of affordable guitars out there.

Have fun!

Nero

Don said:

That's a good thought Nero. Thanks.

I believe I have a set of 11s on there now -- I've never been into light gauges -- but even so, the short scale neck on the Gibson makes those strings feel as soft as nylon. (I've accidentally bent 'em right off the neck!)

Of greater concern than the neck relief would be the nut. I'd not want to enlarge it because the guitar is just so "right" with the elevens!

• June 12, 2012 1:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi There are tons of options these days with the great & affordable Asian made guitars. I forsook my tele for 15 years & only played my Martin M36 with 13-56 gauges on. After picking up on electric again 3 years ago there was no way of going back to those fusewire strings! Have you considered a Gretsch or similar? You'd have the twang plus the depth & the organic feel of the semi body. Plus they look as cool as can be. Cheers. Winston.

• June 12, 2012 12:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's a good thought Nero. Thanks.

I believe I have a set of 11s on there now -- I've never been into light gauges -- but even so, the short scale neck on the Gibson makes those strings feel as soft as nylon. (I've accidentally bent 'em right off the neck!)

Of greater concern than the neck relief would be the nut. I'd not want to enlarge it because the guitar is just so "right" with the elevens!

• June 12, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can't say that I've had to make a similar transition, but I was wondering what gauge strings you're going to use on the electric. Quite apart from the sound, have you considered using a set of 12-56 or something similar, to approximate the feel of the strings on your dreadnought? Bigger strings equals more noise! Might have to swap in an unwound G if you're playing lead stuff, though, and also might need to adjust the truss rod to accomodate the heavier tension.

Cheers

Nero

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel