Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Ramones. They did more than three records, ya know...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 10, 2012 12:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks , MikeL .I HAVE TO SAY , THERE'S A LOT OF KICKIN' ON YOUR PART , AND EVERYONE ELSE'S , TOO.
      MikeL said:

You sure kicked up a lively discussion around here, John;)

John Battles said:

I like "Strength To Endure" , BUT MAYBE IF IT HAD MORE OF A VOCAL PRODUCTION LIke"let the punishment fit the crime"....i DUNNO , JUST A THOUGHT.

Doc Detroit said:

Personally, I like "Strength To Endure" off of Mondo Bizarro. In fact, had we not done a cover of The Ramones' cover of "Let's Dance", my old band probably would have covered Strength To Endure.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can agree that The Ramones never had a bad album, but all of their albums past End of The Century have at least one or two songs that I truly love.
    • June 10, 2012 12:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

there was always at least 1 really great song on every Ramones album, but the later ones are better chopped up into a big compilation.

• June 9, 2012 9:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My least favorite was probably AdiosAmigos, but I liked the Crusher. Not crazy about acid eaters either. I really liked MondoBizzaro though. TooTuffToDie was great, I like it a lot with the exception of wart hog and durango. Havn't heard the new one yet. I hope its good.

• June 9, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You sure kicked up a lively discussion around here, John;)

John Battles said:

I like "Strength To Endure" , BUT MAYBE IF IT HAD MORE OF A VOCAL PRODUCTION LIke"let the punishment fit the crime"....i DUNNO , JUST A THOUGHT.

Doc Detroit said:

Personally, I like "Strength To Endure" off of Mondo Bizarro. In fact, had we not done a cover of The Ramones' cover of "Let's Dance", my old band probably would have covered Strength To Endure.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can agree that The Ramones never had a bad album, but all of their albums past End of The Century have at least one or two songs that I truly love.
    • June 9, 2012 5:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Doc Detroit said:

• June 9, 2012 5:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't think I ever heard Bad Chopper. CJ was here several months ago , I think with Ramones "Archivist" Daniel Rey. But , I did'nt feel like going out. I'm liek that in my middle age.
      Tyler said:

Yeah,  Tommy seems awesome for sure. Not a huge fan of Uncle Monk though either. Funny enough, of all the Ramones related solo projects, CJ's Bad Chopper LP is far and away the best....blew me away.  I liked Dee Dee's I.C.L.C album too.
      John Battles said:

. Tommy sems like a great person , but , I did'nt go see his band , Uncle Monk. I like Bluegrass , but , in my opinion , that's not even good Bluegrass. More like Deadhead Bluegrass. The stuff I heard , there were'nt even any breakdowns.

• June 9, 2012 5:24 PM CDT
    • Untitled

• June 9, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah,  Tommy seems awesome for sure. Not a huge fan of Uncle Monk though either. Funny enough, of all the Ramones related solo projects, CJ's Bad Chopper LP is far and away the best....blew me away.  I liked Dee Dee's I.C.L.C album too.
      John Battles said:

. Tommy sems like a great person , but , I did'nt go see his band , Uncle Monk. I like Bluegrass , but , in my opinion , that's not even good Bluegrass. More like Deadhead Bluegrass. The stuff I heard , there were'nt even any breakdowns.

• June 9, 2012 8:15 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Oh yeah, I read that. Other than some sibling rivalry, which probably hurt Joey as much as it did Mickey, I think you'd have a hard time pointing to anything that indicates that Joey was anything but a sweetheart. Sure, he was dysfunctional in some ways, OCD, physical problems, but he certainly wasn't mean.

John Battles said:

YOU'RE RIGHT , i WON'T DEFEND TED NUGENT , BUT , TO SEE THAT THERE'S TWO SIDES TO EVERY  STORY , ONE IS ADVISED TO READ MICKEY LEIGH (NEE MITCH HYMAN , JOEY'S BROTHER.)'S BOOK , "I SLEPT WITH JOEY RAMONE". JOEY COULD BE A BULLY , TOO.

• June 9, 2012 1:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Touche. But , a lot of public figures have at least two personalities , for their public and for the people they have to work with. Then ,there's relationships , but , that's more personal , or should be. I never met Johnny or Joey ,but , both Dee Dee and Marky
      were super nice when I met them . Tommy sems like a great person , but , I did'nt go see his band , Uncle Monk. I like Bluegrass , but , in my opinion , that's not even good Bluegrass. More like Deadhead Bluegrass. The stuff I heard , there were'nt even any breakdowns.

Tyler said:

As a kid, i remember reading that Johnny was the kindest of all the Ramones when it came to the fans.
       Johnny is my favourite Ramone. The guy was on the road in a van for 22 years with incredibly fucked up people, and was the main guy responsible for keeping it all together, and how the Ramones "sound" was executed was because of his guitar style, even over Tommys drum style. One of the funniest quotes I've ever heard is recently from Johnnys recent biography. It was along the lines of "Everyone thinks i was an asshole. I'm not an asshole...i just didn't like the people I was around". Can't argue that. Johnny Ramone rules. Joey and Dee Dee were not exactly saints either. If I stopped listening to a band because of how big of an asshole one of the members were, i'd have to rid 95% of my record collection :P
      G. Wood said:

Anyway, I stopped listening to The Ramones after I found out that Johnny was a bully, manipulator, misogynist, woman beater, etc. (kind of like Nugent). Joey hated him, insomuch as his kind heart could hate.

• June 9, 2012 1:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU'RE RIGHT , i WON'T DEFEND TED NUGENT , BUT , TO SEE THAT THERE'S TWO SIDES TO EVERY  STORY , ONE IS ADVISED TO READ MICKEY LEIGH (NEE MITCH HYMAN , JOEY'S BROTHER.)'S BOOK , "I SLEPT WITH JOEY RAMONE". JOEY COULD BE A BULLY , TOO.

I FOUND A LOT OF JOHNNY'S BEHAVIOR ABHORRAL , BUT , I ALSO RECOMMEND "COMMANDO" , THE POSTHUMOUS AUTOBIOGRAPHY , REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU STAND..... THE RAMONES WOULD'NT HAVE MADE IT , EVEN AS FAR AS THEY DID , IF THEY WERE'NT  HYPER - DYSFUNCTIONAL , FOR WHATEVER REASON. THEY HAD TO START DYING TO BECOME SUPERSTARS. I'M SURE A LOT OF YOUNGER PEOPLE THINK THEY WERE HUGE. IN SOME COUNTRIES , THEY WERE. THEY RODE OUT INTO THE SUNSET ON THE LOLLAPALOOZA TOUR , BUT ,THEY WERE SUPPORTING METALLICA AND SOUNDGARDEN. THEY PROBABLY WERE'NT TOO HIGH ON THE BILL AT THE US FESTIVAL IN '82 , EITHER , AND PEOPLE THREW CRAP AT THEM. I DID'NT CARE IF THEY WERE DOING A BAD SHOW (LIKE THE LAST TIME I SAW THEM , BUT THE MONITORS WERE FUCKED , AND THEY COULD'NT HEAR EACH OTHER. OF COURSE , ALL ANYONE COULD THROW WAS PLASTIC CUPS , BUT , IF THEY DID'NT LIKE IT ,  NOONE WAS BLOCKING THE EXIT DOORS.), THEY HAD SO LONG SINCE EARNED OUR RESPECT, IT'S HILARIOUS AND TRAGIC IN ONE FELL SWOOP..

PEOPLE FEEL ENTITLED , EVEN WITH A BAND THAT WORKED THEIR BALLS OFF FOR OVER 20 YEARS.

G. Wood said:

Ted Nugebt is one of the biggest assholes on the planet. Recent quote--"Feminist, what's that? A fat pig who doesn't get enough?" I'm doing this from memory,so a few words might be wrong. That's just a sample of his idiocy. There's plenty more.

Anyway, I stopped listening to The Ramones after I found out that Johnny was a bully, manipulator, misogynist, woman beater, etc. (kind of like Nugent). Joey hated him, insomuch as his kind heart could hate.

John Battles said:

I know , a lot of people did'nt like their version of "Journey" , I did , but I did'nt like everything C.J. sang on. I think I liked him doing "My Back Pages" more....I know The Nuge said "Tell that kid he sang it with a lot of attitude". John Drake , who sang on the original , lives here in Chicago. He's a good cat. I've only ever seen him sing , once. He recently sat in with Ted , AND Derek St. Holmes. Now , I am 30 + years past caring about
       Ted's post - Amboy Dukes stuff , but , I would have gone to see that , if it was'nt , like $60.
      swt said:

I like Acid Eaters too. I'm a sucker for "Journey to the Center of the Mind."

Here's my review of Joey's latest solo record, which was published in the local newspaper. I've got mixed feelings about it, but there's more good stuff there than I thought there'd be

http://garagepunk.ning.com/group/recordreviews/forum/topics/terrell...

• June 8, 2012 8:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As a kid, i remember reading that Johnny was the kindest of all the Ramones when it came to the fans.
       Johnny is my favourite Ramone. The guy was on the road in a van for 22 years with incredibly fucked up people, and was the main guy responsible for keeping it all together, and how the Ramones "sound" was executed was because of his guitar style, even over Tommys drum style. One of the funniest quotes I've ever heard is recently from Johnnys recent biography. It was along the lines of "Everyone thinks i was an asshole. I'm not an asshole...i just didn't like the people I was around". Can't argue that. Johnny Ramone rules. Joey and Dee Dee were not exactly saints either. If I stopped listening to a band because of how big of an asshole one of the members were, i'd have to rid 95% of my record collection :P
      G. Wood said:

• June 8, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Ted Nugebt is one of the biggest assholes on the planet. Recent quote--"Feminist, what's that? A fat pig who doesn't get enough?" I'm doing this from memory,so a few words might be wrong. That's just a sample of his idiocy. There's plenty more.

John Battles said:

I know , a lot of people did'nt like their version of "Journey" , I did , but I did'nt like everything C.J. sang on. I think I liked him doing "My Back Pages" more....I know The Nuge said "Tell that kid he sang it with a lot of attitude". John Drake , who sang on the original , lives here in Chicago. He's a good cat. I've only ever seen him sing , once. He recently sat in with Ted , AND Derek St. Holmes. Now , I am 30 + years past caring about
       Ted's post - Amboy Dukes stuff , but , I would have gone to see that , if it was'nt , like $60.
      swt said:

Here's my review of Joey's latest solo record, which was published in the local newspaper. I've got mixed feelings about it, but there's more good stuff there than I thought there'd be

• June 8, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Records , you can buy and keep , or trade back . Beer , you can only rent.

Sorry , that's an old one. But , most of us probably remember where we were when we bought our first Ramones record. I cheated , I taped a couple from friends , but our school book store had record and tape sales , all cut -outs. I got "Rocket To Russia" and half of "It's Alive". On cassette. I had an early Walkman that sounded fantastic , and recorded beautifully , too.

Steve said:

That's about what I have to say on the matter. Pleasant Dreams.... and Subterranean Jungle. Hmm, Too Tough to Die also. I was introduced to the Ramones via Road to Ruin my sophomore year in high school (1978?) then worked back thru the previous three. I kept up thru Animal Boy before I started spending my money on beer instead of records. 

Fuzzmeister said:

Pleasant Dreams. Simply because it was full of great songs!

• June 7, 2012 6:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's about what I have to say on the matter. Pleasant Dreams.... and Subterranean Jungle. Hmm, Too Tough to Die also. I was introduced to the Ramones via Road to Ruin my sophomore year in high school (1978?) then worked back thru the previous three. I kept up thru Animal Boy before I started spending my money on beer instead of records. 

Fuzzmeister said:

Pleasant Dreams. Simply because it was full of great songs!

• June 7, 2012 2:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HA HA HA HA ! "Cop Killer" ! THAT'S HILARIOUS ! "My name is Dee Dee King , I'm gonna dust off some cops...." Maybe not if I'd BEEN there, tho'.    I remember him doing great versions of "Dust My Broom" and "Ace of Spades"the second time I saw him , plus a ravin' "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" as per The Stones' version.

Rev. Norb said:

I mean...they were pretty out of it. They did covers of like "Cop Killer" and "Ace of Spades" and "Dust My Broom." It was just weird. 

John Battles said:

Rev. Norb , Now I get you. At first , I did'nt know who you meant . I did'nt know you were in Boris The Sprinkler , then , it dawned on me , you might have been.....

I DON'T DOUBT THEY DID SOME TERRIBLE SHOWS. IT MIGHT HAVE DEPENDED ON WHAT SUBSTANCES , AND HOW MUCH. BUT , BOTH SHOWS I SAW WERE GREAT. IT WAS BEFORE THE PUNK REVIVAL HAPPENED A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER. MOST PEOPLE COULD'NT HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT THE 70'S PUNK STUFF. THE DICTATORS HAD PLAYED THE SAME VENUE TO ABOUT 150 PEOPLE , MAYBE LESS. BUT DDRand The CDs kicked out The Ramones/Heartbreakers jams , with a hint of VERY early Stones when I saw 'em.

I met Dee Dee , briefly , he was very nice , and very funny.....A friend of mine saw him try to change a C-note at a Qwick- E -  Mart.

Rev. Norb said:

Dee Dee's band. We were ok i guess.

John Battles said:

Do you mean Boris The Sprinkler or Dee Dee's band?

Rev. Norb said:

Boris The Sprinkler's first-ever show was with Dee Dee Ramone and the Chinese Dragons. They were godawful.
    • June 6, 2012 10:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I mean...they were pretty out of it. They did covers of like "Cop Killer" and "Ace of Spades" and "Dust My Broom." It was just weird. 

John Battles said:

Rev. Norb , Now I get you. At first , I did'nt know who you meant . I did'nt know you were in Boris The Sprinkler , then , it dawned on me , you might have been.....

I DON'T DOUBT THEY DID SOME TERRIBLE SHOWS. IT MIGHT HAVE DEPENDED ON WHAT SUBSTANCES , AND HOW MUCH. BUT , BOTH SHOWS I SAW WERE GREAT. IT WAS BEFORE THE PUNK REVIVAL HAPPENED A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER. MOST PEOPLE COULD'NT HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT THE 70'S PUNK STUFF. THE DICTATORS HAD PLAYED THE SAME VENUE TO ABOUT 150 PEOPLE , MAYBE LESS. BUT DDRand The CDs kicked out The Ramones/Heartbreakers jams , with a hint of VERY early Stones when I saw 'em.

I met Dee Dee , briefly , he was very nice , and very funny.....A friend of mine saw him try to change a C-note at a Qwick- E -  Mart.

Rev. Norb said:

John Battles said:

Rev. Norb said:

Boris The Sprinkler's first-ever show was with Dee Dee Ramone and the Chinese Dragons. They were godawful.
    • June 6, 2012 10:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY....
      Tyler said:

yeah, I definitely like that song a little more than most others on it.  Dee Dee kinda sounds like iggy in the versus. 

John Battles said:

One of my favorite songs on "Brain Drain" was the rather atypical "Let The Punishment Fit The Crime" , cowritten by The artist formerly known as Adny.

• June 6, 2012 8:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah, I definitely like that song a little more than most others on it.  Dee Dee kinda sounds like iggy in the versus. 

John Battles said:

One of my favorite songs on "Brain Drain" was the rather atypical "Let The Punishment Fit The Crime" , cowritten by The artist formerly known as Adny.

• June 6, 2012 6:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rev. Norb said:

John Battles said:

Rev. Norb said:

• June 6, 2012 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Rev. Norb said:

• June 6, 2012 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

swt said:

• June 6, 2012 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tyler said:

I can listen to (and enjoy) EVERY Ramones album, but the worst for me by FAR is Brain Drain. I think Adios Amigos is great. I really don't get why so many Ramones fans hate that one. Lot of outside help in songwriting, but at least everyone played on it. Dee Dee never played bass on Brain Drain besides one song (daniel rey and Andy shernoff did) or Halfway to Sanity (daniel rey) Lease Favourite to Favourite, mine are (not counting acid eaters):

-Brain Drain

-Animal Boy

-Mondo Bizarro

-Half To Sanity

-End of the Century

-Too Tough to Die

-Adios Amigos

-Subterranean Jungle

-Pleasant Dreams

-Road To Ruin

-S/T

-Rocket To Russia

-Leave Home

• June 6, 2012 2:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S WHAT ATTRACTED ME TO THE RAMONES , IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'D HEARD 'EM , OFF AND ON , FOR YEARS , BUT , "I WANNA BE SEDATED" SOUNDED LIKE KASENETZ/KATZ MEETS EDDIE COCHRAN , AND THAT , I GUESS , WAS MY EPIPHANY. I'm JUST old enough to remember Bubblegum , a bit.
        When I heard "Little Willy" , it had that same thang , to me.
      kissoffboardy said:

Their cover of the 1910 Fruitgum Company bubblegum classic " Indian Giver " always makes me grin like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. One of those tracks that makes my heart swell with pure joy.

John Battles said:

I don't know why they did'nt do a Kasenetz/Katz number . Maybe they were tired of being viewed as "Bubblegum". The songs that we think are obvious , a lot of average Joe's would'nt have. I really liked hearing them do "Can't Seem ToMake You Mine" and "Out of Time". Word is , they considered doing "Get Me To tHE wORLD oN Time", but could'nt agree on an arrangement.  The funny thing , when Rush recorded their 60's covers album , they did a lot of the same songs . It would'nt have sound bad ,were it not for ol' helium voice.

Rev. Norb said:

"Acid Eaters" wasn't terrible, but it seemed to me like -- if the Ramones were going to do an entire album of 60's covers, they didn't really choose a ton of songs i'd have great interest in hearing them play. I mean, they couldn't toss us a bone with "Yummy Yummy Yummy" or something? It's just like...geez, i wish they would've taken requests or something.

• June 6, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rev. Norb said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel