Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Ramones. They did more than three records, ya know...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 6, 2012 9:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can listen to (and enjoy) EVERY Ramones album, but the worst for me by FAR is Brain Drain. I think Adios Amigos is great. I really don't get why so many Ramones fans hate that one. Lot of outside help in songwriting, but at least everyone played on it. Dee Dee never played bass on Brain Drain besides one song (daniel rey and Andy shernoff did) or Halfway to Sanity (daniel rey) Lease Favourite to Favourite, mine are (not counting acid eaters):

-Brain Drain

-Animal Boy

-Mondo Bizarro

-Half To Sanity

-End of the Century

-Too Tough to Die

-Adios Amigos

-Subterranean Jungle

-Pleasant Dreams

-Road To Ruin

-S/T

-Rocket To Russia

-Leave Home

• June 6, 2012 7:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Their cover of the 1910 Fruitgum Company bubblegum classic " Indian Giver " always makes me grin like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. One of those tracks that makes my heart swell with pure joy.

John Battles said:

I don't know why they did'nt do a Kasenetz/Katz number . Maybe they were tired of being viewed as "Bubblegum". The songs that we think are obvious , a lot of average Joe's would'nt have. I really liked hearing them do "Can't Seem ToMake You Mine" and "Out of Time". Word is , they considered doing "Get Me To tHE wORLD oN Time", but could'nt agree on an arrangement.  The funny thing , when Rush recorded their 60's covers album , they did a lot of the same songs . It would'nt have sound bad ,were it not for ol' helium voice.

Rev. Norb said:

"Acid Eaters" wasn't terrible, but it seemed to me like -- if the Ramones were going to do an entire album of 60's covers, they didn't really choose a ton of songs i'd have great interest in hearing them play. I mean, they couldn't toss us a bone with "Yummy Yummy Yummy" or something? It's just like...geez, i wish they would've taken requests or something.

• June 5, 2012 11:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boris The Sprinkler's first-ever show was with Dee Dee Ramone and the Chinese Dragons. They were godawful.
    • June 5, 2012 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know why they did'nt do a Kasenetz/Katz number . Maybe they were tired of being viewed as "Bubblegum". The songs that we think are obvious , a lot of average Joe's would'nt have. I really liked hearing them do "Can't Seem ToMake You Mine" and "Out of Time". Word is , they considered doing "Get Me To tHE wORLD oN Time", but could'nt agree on an arrangement.  The funny thing , when Rush recorded their 60's covers album , they did a lot of the same songs . It would'nt have sound bad ,were it not for ol' helium voice.

Rev. Norb said:

"Acid Eaters" wasn't terrible, but it seemed to me like -- if the Ramones were going to do an entire album of 60's covers, they didn't really choose a ton of songs i'd have great interest in hearing them play. I mean, they couldn't toss us a bone with "Yummy Yummy Yummy" or something? It's just like...geez, i wish they would've taken requests or something.

• June 5, 2012 7:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think "Pleasant dreams " is underrated , too , but , it took me several years to arrive at that conclusion. I was'nt crazy about "Don't Go" (With Ron and Russell Mael as The Beach Boys.) , but , I never hated it."She's a Sensation" is all right , too ."We Want The Airwaves" had a completely different Guitar sound than what you'd associate with The Ramones. It's like "Hijack The Radio" by The Nervebreakers , which I think is the better song of the two.

As I said , earlier , "Subterranean Jungle" was one of my fave later albums. "Outsider" should be one everybody knows ,but , does'nt. I liked "What'd Ya Do" ,too. Great guest Guitar from Waldo , The Werewolf of Wall Street , and on The Boyfriends' "I NEED YOUR lOVE" , GREAT DOUBLE TRACKED LEADS. I even liked their version of "Little Bit O'Soul", too. Dee Dee's vocal debut , "Time Bomb" rocks like fuck, and the "Youth in Revolt" lyrics are unintentionally hilarious.  A very fun album. BTW - Did they ever correct the mistake in the liner notes? They had a lot of people thinking Joey had shortened his professional name to JOE.

Too Tough To Die - WELL , WHAT YOU SAID . THE BEST SINCE "THE BIG THREE". I even like the Pop numbers. iT DID MY HEART GOOD TO HEAR "Howlin' At The Moon" ON THE RADIO....once.

Animal Boy - "LOVE KILLS" WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE THEME SONG TO "sID AND nANCY". I thought it should have been , but , now , it's just as well.  "Freak of Nature" and "Crummy Stuff" were among my favorites , but , I thought "Something To Believe In" was the hit that should have band. Ron Ross , a good friend of the band's , and a friend of mine too , in my Dullass, Texas daze , said the same. It's my favorite later "Pop" song , but , it's not for everybody.

I think "Halfway To Sanity" was much more solid than it's predecessor. I especially like ''Bop Til You Drop", "Go Lil' Camaro , Go", and "I Lost My Mind" (Someone on You Tube insisted Dee Dee's vocals were actually done by H.R. from Bad Brains. H.R. was probably still in jail when this was recorded. In any case , it's not him.), too . But I like it all. Even the "Goth" stuff , ha ha ha.

I have no complaints about Brain Drain , except that the back cover would have looked better on the front !

Loco Live is not the best , but it sounds fine to me , if I don't try to hold it up to "It's Alive" and several bootlegs...If nothing else , they slipped "Carbona , Not Glue" into the mix.

Mondo Bizarro is definitely the best of the last few albums . Vernon Reid's Guitar solo on "Cabbies on Crack" was a bit too Eddie Van Halen for me , but , I liked the album pretty much , start to finish.

I actually liked "Adios Amigos ". The reason I liked "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" (Besides the cool video that Dan Clowes put his honeymoon on hold to complete.) , it was laid out like a Buzzcocks song , with the solo imitating the first verse. THEY WERE'NT THROWING DEE DEE A BONE , it was the other way around . They were'nt coughing up the songs , and needed his help. Personally , I thought it was cool that they even still had a professional relationship , though I saw Dee Dee , twice , with The Chinese Dragons , and he KILLED.

John Battles said:

Well , I'd never defend that last Live CD.    THEY JUST WANTED OUT OF THEIR CONTRACT AND SOME QUICK CASH , WHEN THERE'S PLENTY OF GREAT BOOTLEGS THEY COULD HAVE MADE LEGIT .  i'M ONE OF THE RARE FEW THAT DOES LIKE "ACID EATERS" . MOST OF IT. i'M ALSO THAT RARE , RARE SORT..... A WHITE GUY OVER 30 WHO DOES'NT , AND NEVER HAS , OWN(ED ) A CREEDENCE ALBUM. MARKY TOLD ME HE WISHED THAT TOMMY ERDELYI HAD PRODUCED IT , INSTEAD.....IT WAS A LABOR OF LOVE , THEY HAD NOTHING TO GAIN , JUST LIKE JEFF BECK DOING THE GENE VINCENT TRIBUTE CD AROUND THAT TIME.....ARTHUR LEE TOLD ME HE LIKED THEIR "7 AND 7 IS". THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.  

Rev. Norb said:

I don't know if i agree that the Ramones didn't have a bad album -- who would listen to "Adios Amigos" or "Acid Eaters" if it didn't say "RAMONES" on the cover, and "Greatest Hits Live" was pretty lame. But, that said, i'll bite:

1) "Pleasant Dreams" is an underrated album. The production doesn't do it any favors, and Joey's weird "songwriterly" efforts like "We Want The Airwaves" and "It's Not My Place" and "This Business Is Killing Me" and "7-11" are pretty lousy. However, the record's got a number of really good songs on it, and it all works together fairly well. Everyone knows "All's Quiet On The Eastern Front" and "The KKK Took My Baby Away;" less appreciated songs on that record are "You Sound Like You're Sick" and "Sitting In My Room."

2) I love "Subterranean Jungle." I know lots of people really hate it. I love the bubblegum metal production, and even Walter Lure's guitar solos. The "hit" is obviously "Psycho Therapy," but "Every Time I Eat Vegetables It Makes Me Think Of You" is great as well, as are their covers of the CHAMBERS BROTHERS and BOYFRIENDS. I think the whole album is fun from start to finish.

3) I am also a fan of "Too Tough To Die." The songs are grouped together in an interesting way -- three drudgey slow ones to start ((in itself an odd thing)), then three punk tunes to kick it in the ass...then four synth-pop type things ((most of which are pretty good!)), two more punk ones, and it ends with "No Go," which is kind of a punkabilly thing. I thought the production could be brighter, i guess, but overall you can make a decent case for this one being the strongest album since the first three. "Durango 95," "Danger Zone," "Chasing The Night," "Humankind" and "No Go" are all underappreciated ((along with more appreciated numbers like "Wart Hog" and "Endless Vacation" and "Howling at the Moon" and "Daytime Dilemma" and such)).

4) I also like "Animal Boy," although i think it's a reasonable secondary jumping-off point for people who want to own all the Ramones records up to a certain point -- that point being somewhere after the first 3/4 albums but before "Adios Amigos" et al. I enjoy Richie Ramone's drumming more than Marky's. I think "Crummy Stuff" is the great forgotten song on this one. "Freak of Nature" and "Love Kills" are cool, too. I think the willfully-thrashy stuff like "Animal Boy" is sort of self-conscious and weak-ish, however, and "Something To Believe In" doesn't do much for me.

5) "Halfway To Sanity" -- this record is about halfway to good and halfway to shit. I liked "Weasel Face" and "Go L'il Camaro Go" and "Bop Til You Drop" and "I Lost My Mind" and "Real Cool Time." I did not like the gloomy crap like "I Wanna Live" or "Garden of Serenity" whatsoever. Lots of real duds on this album.

6) "Brain Drain" -- this is their first real dud. I liked "Palidsades Park" and i thought "Zero Zero UFO" was ok. Other than that, ick. I hate stuff like "Pet Sematary" and "Merry Christmas."

7) "Loco Live" -- yuck. It was depressing to go see them at this point, they had clearly played the songs so many times that they'd forgotten how to play them. I'd be trying to get into it, and they'd respond with these half-assed, raced-through tippy-tappy-tippy-tappy versions of songs that i once loved. Bleah.

8) "Mondo Bizarro" -- I thought this one was pretty decent, probably their last legitimately good record. The production was great; i think "Censorshit" "Heidi Is A Headcase" and "Touring" were the three hits ((although it should be noted "Touring" had been around since at least the "Pleasant Dreams" sessions, underscoring the band's difficulty in writing a dozen simple songs every two years)). I dislike stuff like "Poison Heart" and "Strength To Endure." Not my scene at all.

9) "Acid Eaters" -- um...tried to like it. Could not. Having C.J. singing lead on three songs, including the album's leadoff track, also did not sit well with me. 

10) "Adios Amigos" -- not much here. Table scraps. So much outside songwriting influence as to render the final product completely incoherent. I guess C.J.'s songs like "Scattergun" and "Got A Lot To Say" were ok. The Tom Waits thing was kinda decent.

11) "Greatest Hits Live" and anything else i am missing -- yuck!

That's my take. Thanks for asking.

• June 5, 2012 6:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 5, 2012 6:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , I'd never defend that last Live CD.    THEY JUST WANTED OUT OF THEIR CONTRACT AND SOME QUICK CASH , WHEN THERE'S PLENTY OF GREAT BOOTLEGS THEY COULD HAVE MADE LEGIT .  i'M ONE OF THE RARE FEW THAT DOES LIKE "ACID EATERS" . MOST OF IT. i'M ALSO THAT RARE , RARE SORT..... A WHITE GUY OVER 30 WHO DOES'NT , AND NEVER HAS , OWN(ED ) A CREEDENCE ALBUM. MARKY TOLD ME HE WISHED THAT TOMMY ERDELYI HAD PRODUCED IT , INSTEAD.....IT WAS A LABOR OF LOVE , THEY HAD NOTHING TO GAIN , JUST LIKE JEFF BECK DOING THE GENE VINCENT TRIBUTE CD AROUND THAT TIME.....ARTHUR LEE TOLD ME HE LIKED THEIR "7 AND 7 IS". THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.  

Rev. Norb said:

I don't know if i agree that the Ramones didn't have a bad album -- who would listen to "Adios Amigos" or "Acid Eaters" if it didn't say "RAMONES" on the cover, and "Greatest Hits Live" was pretty lame. But, that said, i'll bite:

1) "Pleasant Dreams" is an underrated album. The production doesn't do it any favors, and Joey's weird "songwriterly" efforts like "We Want The Airwaves" and "It's Not My Place" and "This Business Is Killing Me" and "7-11" are pretty lousy. However, the record's got a number of really good songs on it, and it all works together fairly well. Everyone knows "All's Quiet On The Eastern Front" and "The KKK Took My Baby Away;" less appreciated songs on that record are "You Sound Like You're Sick" and "Sitting In My Room."

2) I love "Subterranean Jungle." I know lots of people really hate it. I love the bubblegum metal production, and even Walter Lure's guitar solos. The "hit" is obviously "Psycho Therapy," but "Every Time I Eat Vegetables It Makes Me Think Of You" is great as well, as are their covers of the CHAMBERS BROTHERS and BOYFRIENDS. I think the whole album is fun from start to finish.

3) I am also a fan of "Too Tough To Die." The songs are grouped together in an interesting way -- three drudgey slow ones to start ((in itself an odd thing)), then three punk tunes to kick it in the ass...then four synth-pop type things ((most of which are pretty good!)), two more punk ones, and it ends with "No Go," which is kind of a punkabilly thing. I thought the production could be brighter, i guess, but overall you can make a decent case for this one being the strongest album since the first three. "Durango 95," "Danger Zone," "Chasing The Night," "Humankind" and "No Go" are all underappreciated ((along with more appreciated numbers like "Wart Hog" and "Endless Vacation" and "Howling at the Moon" and "Daytime Dilemma" and such)).

4) I also like "Animal Boy," although i think it's a reasonable secondary jumping-off point for people who want to own all the Ramones records up to a certain point -- that point being somewhere after the first 3/4 albums but before "Adios Amigos" et al. I enjoy Richie Ramone's drumming more than Marky's. I think "Crummy Stuff" is the great forgotten song on this one. "Freak of Nature" and "Love Kills" are cool, too. I think the willfully-thrashy stuff like "Animal Boy" is sort of self-conscious and weak-ish, however, and "Something To Believe In" doesn't do much for me.

5) "Halfway To Sanity" -- this record is about halfway to good and halfway to shit. I liked "Weasel Face" and "Go L'il Camaro Go" and "Bop Til You Drop" and "I Lost My Mind" and "Real Cool Time." I did not like the gloomy crap like "I Wanna Live" or "Garden of Serenity" whatsoever. Lots of real duds on this album.

6) "Brain Drain" -- this is their first real dud. I liked "Palidsades Park" and i thought "Zero Zero UFO" was ok. Other than that, ick. I hate stuff like "Pet Sematary" and "Merry Christmas."

7) "Loco Live" -- yuck. It was depressing to go see them at this point, they had clearly played the songs so many times that they'd forgotten how to play them. I'd be trying to get into it, and they'd respond with these half-assed, raced-through tippy-tappy-tippy-tappy versions of songs that i once loved. Bleah.

8) "Mondo Bizarro" -- I thought this one was pretty decent, probably their last legitimately good record. The production was great; i think "Censorshit" "Heidi Is A Headcase" and "Touring" were the three hits ((although it should be noted "Touring" had been around since at least the "Pleasant Dreams" sessions, underscoring the band's difficulty in writing a dozen simple songs every two years)). I dislike stuff like "Poison Heart" and "Strength To Endure." Not my scene at all.

9) "Acid Eaters" -- um...tried to like it. Could not. Having C.J. singing lead on three songs, including the album's leadoff track, also did not sit well with me. 

10) "Adios Amigos" -- not much here. Table scraps. So much outside songwriting influence as to render the final product completely incoherent. I guess C.J.'s songs like "Scattergun" and "Got A Lot To Say" were ok. The Tom Waits thing was kinda decent.

• June 5, 2012 6:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was'nt even aware of Daniel Rey's involvement with "The Misfits"
      , BUT , READ WHAT HAPPENED , involving Rey , a longtime trusted friend of the band , in the liner notes to Joey's new posthumous solo abum. It's heartbreaking.

BTW , thank you for making the distinction. The response is overwhelming in just the first 48 hours. It's interesting to see that a lot of people do like the later stuff , or some of it , and why. 
      Thee Wild Wraith said:

John I am not with you, though I like your support of the Ramones! 

I personally think the shark jumped on Turn of the Century.  Talk about two great tastes that taste terrible together.  A minimalist band working with Phil was not a good idea (though probably not obviously a bad idea until after the fact). 

I personally think they jumped back with Pleasant Dreams which is criminally underrated and full of 90% great songs. I see it as the 1st real Joey solo album.  I get why people hate the production but I like it. 

After Pleasant Dreams there are definitely still moments of greatness.  But a truly great album from start to finish?  Personally I don't see it. 

There are some good songs on Subterranean Jungle and Too Tough to Die for sure, but there are a helluva lot of filler on them and some plain bad songs. 

After that it's pretty dire.  Still some good songs to be found here and there for sure like Pet Semetary and Spiderman, but you have CJ singing random songs on the later stuff (why????) and other weird things going on.  I mean on Animal Boy the only good song was written by Richie!  What the hell??

Then Daniel Rey starts to become involved on and off who is always a kiss of death (see the nu-misfits). 

Anyway after that ramble, even though it's not technically later I think Pleasant Dreams is their best mid-way album. 

By default even though I think it's quite weak Brain Drain wins for the later albums just for having Pet Semetary and Merry X-mas on it.   Many people seem to hate those as well but I think they are highlights. 

I also like random stuff like Daytime D. (I can't say why), Mama's Boy (again I can't say why) and Poison Heart (which is the kind of song I usually despise but for some reason it works for me). 

• June 5, 2012 6:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know who wrote it , but, it's the only song of theirs I can tolerate.
       If you listen closely  "Sitting in My Room" is not exactly the same , but it's so close....And "Come On Now" sounds a bit like the bridge on "Born To Run". They were tired of being branded as "Formulaic" , and experimented with different songwriting styles. Of course , sometimes , it worked , and sometimes , not.
      Rev. Norb said:

You are right on "Already Gone" and "Sitting In My Room." The thing is that "Already Gone" is NOT A BAD SONG, probably because it wasn't written by the EAGLES.

John Battles said:

REV . NORB ,YOU ROCK.   I  WILL COMMENT ON THIS LATER , MAYBE TOMMORROW. I AGREE ABOUT "YOU SOUND LIKE yOU'RE SICK" AND "SITTING IN MY ROOM".....EVEN THOUGH THE GUITAR PART SOUNDS MORE LIKE "i'M aLREADY gONE" BY tHE eAGLES THAN "The KKK Took My Baby Away"ever sounded like "He's a Whore" by Cheap Trick.

• June 5, 2012 1:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You are right on "Already Gone" and "Sitting In My Room." The thing is that "Already Gone" is NOT A BAD SONG, probably because it wasn't written by the EAGLES.

John Battles said:

REV . NORB ,YOU ROCK.   I  WILL COMMENT ON THIS LATER , MAYBE TOMMORROW. I AGREE ABOUT "YOU SOUND LIKE yOU'RE SICK" AND "SITTING IN MY ROOM".....EVEN THOUGH THE GUITAR PART SOUNDS MORE LIKE "i'M aLREADY gONE" BY tHE eAGLES THAN "The KKK Took My Baby Away"ever sounded like "He's a Whore" by Cheap Trick.

• June 5, 2012 12:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John I am not with you, though I like your support of the Ramones! 

I personally think the shark jumped on Turn of the Century.  Talk about two great tastes that taste terrible together.  A minimalist band working with Phil was not a good idea (though probably not obviously a bad idea until after the fact). 

I personally think they jumped back with Pleasant Dreams which is criminally underrated and full of 90% great songs. I see it as the 1st real Joey solo album.  I get why people hate the production but I like it. 

After Pleasant Dreams there are definitely still moments of greatness.  But a truly great album from start to finish?  Personally I don't see it. 

There are some good songs on Subterranean Jungle and Too Tough to Die for sure, but there are a helluva lot of filler on them and some plain bad songs. 

After that it's pretty dire.  Still some good songs to be found here and there for sure like Pet Semetary and Spiderman, but you have CJ singing random songs on the later stuff (why????) and other weird things going on.  I mean on Animal Boy the only good song was written by Richie!  What the hell??

Then Daniel Rey starts to become involved on and off who is always a kiss of death (see the nu-misfits). 

Anyway after that ramble, even though it's not technically later I think Pleasant Dreams is their best mid-way album. 

By default even though I think it's quite weak Brain Drain wins for the later albums just for having Pet Semetary and Merry X-mas on it.   Many people seem to hate those as well but I think they are highlights. 

I also like random stuff like Daytime D. (I can't say why), Mama's Boy (again I can't say why) and Poison Heart (which is the kind of song I usually despise but for some reason it works for me). 

• June 4, 2012 9:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 4, 2012 9:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 4, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right , Brain Drain. Another album most people don't seem to dig , but , it's great....I remember buying it when it first came out . I'd just moved to Chicago , and was listening to it a lot when not finding out about new - to me - clubs. One club did a Ramones night around that time (OK , for anyone who lives here , it was NEO. iF I'D BEEN HERE , LONGER , I MIGHT HAVE KNOWN BETTER.). THE DJ REFUSED TO PLAY ANY RAMONES MUSIC ! I SAID "DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO THE RAMONES ARE?!!", TO WHICH HE JUST LAUGHED. DJs That refuse to play decent music are treated like gold in this town , and probably your town , too ! I SHOULD PLAY THAT ALBUM AGAIN , SOON.....

SMF said:

Can't Get You Out of My Mind was originally on Brain Drain at the end of the 80's. I have it on the Too Tough To Die CD reissue I bought to replace the well-worn cassette I got in '84. This Business Is Killing Me is a great condemnation of the music industry. It's not an original idea by any means, but you can almost see Joey Ramone slaving away under an exposed 40 watt bulb with a dull pencil and scrap paper.

John Battles said:

"Too Tough To Die" is my favorite Ramones album , full stop. The same crust as the first three , plus considerably evolved songwriting , and Joey really coming into his own as a singer , making Nick Cave sound like Morrissey , especially on the opener "Mama's Boy" . That was the first song to truly scare the shit out of me since "Beautiful Gardens" by The Cramps....."I Can't Get You Out of My Mind" , was'nt that on "Halfway To Sanity"? I'd have to look it up. But "This Business...." is one of many enjoyably strange toons on "Pleasant Dreams"....My favorite is probably "All is Quiet on The Eastern Front" or "You Did'nt Mean Anything To Me"( All this angst , and then..."We came across a miracle , there was beer in the soda machine"!.).
      SMF said:

SMF said:
      Too Tough to Die. Chock full of great tunes. Planet Earth 1988 may be the only Ramones song (other than cover songs) that ends in a minor chord!

I also love I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind and This Business is Killing Me off of Pleasant Dreams.

And how about their version of Happy Birthday played for Mr. Burns on the Simpsons...

EDIT DUE TO MY FAULTY BRAIN:

The song ending in a minor chord is I'm Not Afraid of Life... not Planet Earth 1988.
      Oops.

Whew, I'm glad I cleared that up!
    • June 4, 2012 4:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Can't Get You Out of My Mind was originally on Brain Drain at the end of the 80's. I have it on the Too Tough To Die CD reissue I bought to replace the well-worn cassette I got in '84. This Business Is Killing Me is a great condemnation of the music industry. It's not an original idea by any means, but you can almost see Joey Ramone slaving away under an exposed 40 watt bulb with a dull pencil and scrap paper.

John Battles said:

"Too Tough To Die" is my favorite Ramones album , full stop. The same crust as the first three , plus considerably evolved songwriting , and Joey really coming into his own as a singer , making Nick Cave sound like Morrissey , especially on the opener "Mama's Boy" . That was the first song to truly scare the shit out of me since "Beautiful Gardens" by The Cramps....."I Can't Get You Out of My Mind" , was'nt that on "Halfway To Sanity"? I'd have to look it up. But "This Business...." is one of many enjoyably strange toons on "Pleasant Dreams"....My favorite is probably "All is Quiet on The Eastern Front" or "You Did'nt Mean Anything To Me"( All this angst , and then..."We came across a miracle , there was beer in the soda machine"!.).
      SMF said:

SMF said:
      Too Tough to Die. Chock full of great tunes. Planet Earth 1988 may be the only Ramones song (other than cover songs) that ends in a minor chord!

I also love I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind and This Business is Killing Me off of Pleasant Dreams.

And how about their version of Happy Birthday played for Mr. Burns on the Simpsons...

The song ending in a minor chord is I'm Not Afraid of Life... not Planet Earth 1988.
      Oops.

• June 4, 2012 3:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree  tho' Graham Gouldman's production is so murky...THE BAND OFTEN COMPLAINED ABOUT THE COVER ILLUSTRATION , BUT , THAT'S WHAT THE ALBUM SOUNDS LIKE.    Punk Noir .     SOME SONGS , TO ME , SEEM OVER PRODUCED , WHILE OTHERS SEEM JUST THE OPPOSITE.  i USED TO THINK IT WAS THEIR WORST ALBUM , BUT THERE'S REALLY SOME INTERESTING STUFF ON THERE.

Fuzzmeister said:

Pleasant Dreams. Simply because it was full of great songs!

• June 4, 2012 3:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have'nt thought of that one in quite some time.

Old School Hero said:

A song not many people seem to be into on a site like this is I Won't Let It Happen. I love that song.

• June 4, 2012 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You know , I LOVE "Subterranean Jungle", even though I wondered why the drums sounded so artificial. Come to find out , it was a drum machine. Even then , I was hearing drum machines nearly every day (Because it's so much more "Street" than The Ramones.) , so , sometimes I still can't tell the difference  , especially , now , when I'm  guaranteed to hear drum machines daily , probably like most of you. Marky had bottomed out , and his parts were recorded over.....as if they could'nt have brought in a ringer , ohhhh , say Jerry Nolan. 

But ,that album saved my life , in the Summer of '83 , when I was working in a sub -Chucky Cheese pizza place with Ozzy and Priest - worshipping older Brothers of Beavis and Butthead.It struck a chord. Three of 'em. Sometimes , even four , plus some blistering leads by Walter Lure.....

I still like End Of The Century. I think the pairing with Spector made very little sense at the time....Though I'd love to have a postcard of Phil with his gun and his jeweled goblet of Manischewitz wine. There were some really good songs on that album , even though Dee Dee called them "Some of the worst crap I ever wrote". Making the album was'nt the mistake. Thinking it would break them , mainstream , was.

Alex said:

End of the Century and Subterranean Jungle!

• June 4, 2012 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go Lil' Camaro , Go" is definitely a keeper. Especially since it came out in the summer. This , despite the fact that Camaros were largely driven by douchebags at the time (Do they still even make Camaros , anymore?).  

MikeL said:

Try telling this to Michael Kastelic of the Cynics:)  As far as he's concerned, those first three albums were the only good ones because Tommy was both the band's drummer and producer at the time.

Speaking for myself, I've heard some great tracks from the later albums on the UG, but I've just never gotten around to checking them out.  I especially like "7-11," "Go Lil' Camaro Go," "A Real Cool Time," and "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg."  The only later album I have is "End of the Century,"  and "Danny Says" is my favorite track from that album.

• June 4, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , I'll see you and I'll raise you this , it's like saying The Cynics never had a good album after the first few , which ,of course , is utter bullshit.Both bands started out with something , and changed it , here and there , just enuff.  Mike has his convictions on that topic , as do many people , but , Tommy's production , in my somewhat addled opinion , was at it's BEST on " Too Tough To Die". Marky took a lot of heat , just because he knows more than three beats , but , while I like the simplicity of Tommy's drumming , had he stayed on , they probably would have had to have gotten Jerry Nolan or somebody to play the embellishments , the way Walter Lure was brought in to play some much - needed leads when Johnny refused to learn any.....

MikeL said:

Try telling this to Michael Kastelic of the Cynics:)  As far as he's concerned, those first three albums were the only good ones because Tommy was both the band's drummer and producer at the time.

Speaking for myself, I've heard some great tracks from the later albums on the UG, but I've just never gotten around to checking them out.  I especially like "7-11," "Go Lil' Camaro Go," "A Real Cool Time," and "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg."  The only later album I have is "End of the Century,"  and "Danny Says" is my favorite track from that album.

• June 4, 2012 3:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SMF said:

SMF said:

Oops.

• June 4, 2012 2:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I , personally , can't make it thru all of that album , BUT , I never traded it back in. I like "Poor Little Rich Girl', "The Crusher" and "Baby Doll" (Not  to be mistaken for the Neil Diamond - riff rocker Dee Dee wrote for The Chesterfield Kings.) is a beautiful love song."Funky Man" , now THAT's fucking hilarious ! Drop what you'r doing , and watch the video on You Tube !
      Scotty C. said:

Even Dee Dee's crappy rap album is a riot to listen to!
    • June 4, 2012 11:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

SMF said:

EDIT DUE TO MY FAULTY BRAIN: The song ending in a minor chord is I'm Not Afraid of Life... not Planet Earth 1988. Oops. Whew, I'm glad I cleared that up!
    • June 4, 2012 10:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I friggin' LOVE that album. Party favorite!

Scotty C. said:

Even Dee Dee's crappy rap album is a riot to listen to!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel