Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What are your favorite new bands?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 26, 2012 6:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The X-Boyfriends are some friends of mine, they've been playing locally for a couple years, but just getting their shit together online. 

They've got some songs up on their FB page, check it out.

• July 25, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Axel, you probably know about this, but I've never heard anything else like them-

Os Mutantes- Bat Macumba It's Brazilian. Oh, and you know about Wooden Shjips, right? Not too different, but slightly psychedelic.

Peace, Dave

• July 25, 2012 7:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Paul Messis on Stae records mate - you will dig it ex members of The mystreated back up on some trax. Need I say more

• July 24, 2012 2:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha, cool. No im seeing them a week tomorrow in Brighton but I hope you enjoy them in London.

Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:

Hi Tim,

I'm seeing Ty Segall in Tufnell Park next Thursday, is that where you are going? 

Cheers, Coop

Tim said:

Came across a band called Boneyards recently who are from Brighton, England, and they sound REALLY good. I think they sound sort of garagey punk, trashy, lofish with a pleasant hint of surf.

Check them out!

http://boneyaards.tumblr.com/

I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Think they are pretty new and I only came across them because they are listed as support for Ty Segal who i'm seeing next week.

By the way this is exactly the sort of thread that I love this site for. Mmmmmm new bands!

Although some peoples definition of new is a bit.... well.... old... but I'll stop myself there so I don't become a meany.

• July 24, 2012 12:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is a bunch of cool new bands. I particularly love the Tough Shits, Natural Child, Barrerracudas, Gentleman Jessie, Cozy (new powerpop/glam band on Hozac) Warm Soda (Matthew Melton's new band). Also, Puerto Rican garage like Davila 666 & Los Vigilantes is really great.

• July 24, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My daughter turned me on to BLOOD RED SHOES. They make an incredible amount of noise for a two-piece Think the Strokes meets th' Faith Healers. Their albums have been in heavy rotation in my house for the last 9 months. http://youtu.be/sob1cUVd-vE 

She also is a big fan of a chick who's almost like the female Lou Reed--Regina Spektor who actually played at the White House for Barack Obama (!?) 

Just saw an incredible show with THE INSOMNIACS, HOUSE OF FIRE (psych) and CONSOLIDATED FUZZ (60's garage)

• July 24, 2012 9:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Recently I discovered this great garageband, with some stonerrock mixed in, from France: Kaiser Bitnik.

• July 23, 2012 8:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Hideouts(Va)Hoodsnake(Nc),the Aqualads,Biggy Stardust,Hellacopters,Black Lips....just off the top of my head

• July 23, 2012 2:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

bass drum of death is awesome stuff. but I dont get this Get Bent. Sounds like Offspring or something...

• July 23, 2012 2:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to write for get bent but they fired me :( I saw Bass Drum not long ago they are gonna be huge someday, some seriously hard rocking shit.

Cath said:

Great thread! I've been listening to "GB City" by Bass Drum of Death a lot lately. And I agree with Alison, Get Bent is awesome, you definitely have to check it out.

• July 23, 2012 6:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Tim,

I'm seeing Ty Segall in Tufnell Park next Thursday, is that where you are going? 

Cheers, Coop

Tim said:

Came across a band called Boneyards recently who are from Brighton, England, and they sound REALLY good. I think they sound sort of garagey punk, trashy, lofish with a pleasant hint of surf.

Check them out!

Think they are pretty new and I only came across them because they are listed as support for Ty Segal who i'm seeing next week.

By the way this is exactly the sort of thread that I love this site for. Mmmmmm new bands!

Although some peoples definition of new is a bit.... well.... old... but I'll stop myself there so I don't become a meany.

• July 23, 2012 5:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check them out!

• July 20, 2012 1:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Prima Donna and Biters.

• July 20, 2012 10:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wounded Lion and Ty Segall are great. Will have to check out The Honeybadgers I don't know them. I just bought the new Atomic Suplex LP on Crypt and that's a monster, well worth getting hold of. The new ones by Cheap Time and The Intelligence on In The Red are both excellent too.

Robby Adams said:

Thee Cormans (rad surf trash), The Honeybadgers (loshoneybadgers.com), Wounded Lion (reminds me of Wire), Ty Segal (lofi garagey) to name a few. Some aren't new-new, but maybe you haven't heard them.

• July 20, 2012 10:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Cormans (rad surf trash), The Honeybadgers (loshoneybadgers.com), Wounded Lion (reminds me of Wire), Ty Segal (lofi garagey) to name a few. Some aren't new-new, but maybe you haven't heard them.

• July 19, 2012 4:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glad you enjoyed it Jason, the 7" is available direct from us here. Only 100 of the 250 limited singles left, they are selling quickly. Get one before they're gone folks.

Jason Feldmann said:

This is a really cool sound. Just listened to the 2nd song -- She Wants Me Dead -- thanks for posting to the cloud for all to hear and appreciate. And incidentally, two and a half minutes might just be the perfect song length. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all kinds of music, and dig on opus-like songs from Pink Floyd, Mars Volta, Sleep, Grails.... but sometimes bands just need to get to the point and kick out the jams.

Wobbly Lamps from the UK. Check their new single here

• July 17, 2012 7:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is a really cool sound. Just listened to the 2nd song -- She Wants Me Dead -- thanks for posting to the cloud for all to hear and appreciate. And incidentally, two and a half minutes might just be the perfect song length. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all kinds of music, and dig on opus-like songs from Pink Floyd, Mars Volta, Sleep, Grails.... but sometimes bands just need to get to the point and kick out the jams.

• July 17, 2012 7:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good recommendations all around. Now I've got plenty of new stuff to listen to throughout the summer.

• July 15, 2012 11:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Oh Sees, Burnt Ones, The Wooden Shjips, Guantanamo Baywatch, The Pack A.D., Boom Chick, The Surf Zombies, The Ramblin' Ambassadors, The Cosmonauts...

• July 15, 2012 6:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 11, 2012 1:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Pygmies said:

That's awesome.  The lead singer, Paul, also runs Mammoth Cave http://mammothcaverecording.com/ . It's one of the best labels in Canada right now. Pretty much all the bands are worth checking out.

triggahiccups said:

Saw these guys and drank many drinks with the lead singer. All great people making AMAZING psyched out jams.

The Pygmies said:

If you're looking for a great new Garage-Psych band you MUST check out the Ketamines. Definitely my favourite album of the year.

http://ketamines.bandcamp.com/

Great suggestion. Definitely enjoying the Ketamines. Thanks.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel