Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What are your favorite tribute albums?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 21, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was just listening to a great Ramones tribute album done by a bunch of Japanese punk & garage groups called "Do You Remember Rock'n'Roll High School? Adios Joey Ramone" and I started thinking about other great tribute comps like that... A couple other favorites of mine include "Eternally Ours - 24 Bands Play the Saints" and "Attack From the Planet of the Devil Dogs" (a Devil Dogs tribute, natch). An older one that I sort of forgot about but is also pretty cool, obviously, is the Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs tribute called "Turban Renewal" on Norton and "Not So Pretty" (a tribute to the Pretty Things).

What are some other good ones?

• September 30, 2012 1:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Folkways: A Vision Shared - A Tribute to Woody Guthrie & Leadbelly is a Grammy Award-winning  1988 album featuring songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly interpreted by leading folk, rock, and country recording artists.

• May 26, 2012 12:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like the "Not So Pretty " comp , too. The Fleshtones tribute is great , too. I've heard The Fuzztones tribute is great , because Rudi was able to procure so many good bands , so even the Haters might find themselves enjoying it.   I'd like to see a comprehensive Cramps tribute , no Psychobilly bands , thanks. I liked that stuff to a point , but Lux and Ivy never did. Doug Sahm deserves a good tribute record , though The Bottle Rockets did one of their own. There's a few Johnny Thunders tribs , but "Let's Do This One For Johnny" stands tall , even if it does'nt have Little Bob Story. Cub Koda deserves a tribute . I have'nt seen one for The Dolls or The MC5 , though they must exist. A new and improved Roky tribute would be the ticket. The Sky Saxon / Seeds tribute album is finally on the way .......

• May 25, 2012 9:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really tried , but could'nt , get into the Stoner Rock thing that much , but , I knew it was crucial to a newly repatriated Blue Cheer making any kind of a comeback in The U.S. , which did'nt happen. They played in Chicago five times from 2005 to Dickie Peterson's death , and , on average , performed for 50 to 150 people , because people who should have been there thought they were too cool. I like the tracks on that compilation , but , each and every Stoner and Cookie Monster - Singing Metal band that I saw play with them......well , The Cheer could've eaten them all for breakfast.   Just sayin'.

RJFait said:

If it hadn't been for Blue Cheer tributes, I might have never known there was such a thing as 'stoner metal'. "Blue Explosion" is one of my favorite groupings of post 1984 bands.

John Battles said:

I have'nt been happy with a lot of 'em , but , that's just me. I DON'T recommend "Sonic Cathedral" , Roky fans.  I liked about 5 songs on "Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye". The fact that ZZ TOP did the best cut (OK , it's fact to me, but , a lot of people have agreed .)speaks volumes , tho' , of  course ,they cut their teeth on The Elevators when they played in The Moving Sidewalks and American Blues.... I thought KISS did the best track on "We're a Happy Family" , and I have'nt liked them since Carter was President.

The Sam The Sham comp on Norton is very good . Lotta variety , little , if any , filler and a Drew Friedman cover !

"Groin Thunder" is pretty good. I would have replaced the Dwarves' "Strange Movies" with T.Tex Edwards and Lithium Xmas' version , which came out at the same time.

The Waste Kings' "Feels Like a Woman" would have been an asset , too.

I thought Gary Glitter doing "The Raver" would've been choice. It's practically the blueprint for the "Glitter " sound.  We've already talked about all that other stuff regarding him.

The now - rare Blue Cheer Tribute CD is also very good , Stoner bands that don't suck and Psych bands that seldom noodle cover songs from pretty much every facet of Dickie and The Cheer's career , and do some really interesting things , for the most part.

• May 22, 2012 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not a band tribute, but...

• May 21, 2012 11:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If it hadn't been for Blue Cheer tributes, I might have never known there was such a thing as 'stoner metal'. "Blue Explosion" is one of my favorite groupings of post 1984 bands.

John Battles said:

I have'nt been happy with a lot of 'em , but , that's just me. I DON'T recommend "Sonic Cathedral" , Roky fans.  I liked about 5 songs on "Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye". The fact that ZZ TOP did the best cut (OK , it's fact to me, but , a lot of people have agreed .)speaks volumes , tho' , of  course ,they cut their teeth on The Elevators when they played in The Moving Sidewalks and American Blues.... I thought KISS did the best track on "We're a Happy Family" , and I have'nt liked them since Carter was President.

The Sam The Sham comp on Norton is very good . Lotta variety , little , if any , filler and a Drew Friedman cover !

"Groin Thunder" is pretty good. I would have replaced the Dwarves' "Strange Movies" with T.Tex Edwards and Lithium Xmas' version , which came out at the same time.

I thought Gary Glitter doing "The Raver" would've been choice. It's practically the blueprint for the "Glitter " sound.  We've already talked about all that other stuff regarding him.

The now - rare Blue Cheer Tribute CD is also very good , Stoner bands that don't suck and Psych bands that seldom noodle cover songs from pretty much every facet of Dickie and The Cheer's career , and do some really interesting things , for the most part.

• May 21, 2012 5:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Faithful Todd Rudgren

• May 21, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 21, 2012 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm In Love With That Song - Replacements tribute by Australian bands

We'll Inherit the Earth: Tribute to Replacements

We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to Ramones

Trash Is Neat: Cramps Tribute (2-CDs and downloadable!

• May 21, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

one of my faves... the styles vary enough to keep it interesting.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel