Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Create a Comp?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 5, 2012 8:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So's I'm thinking how cool it would be to throw my dusty hat into the soybomb ring with a collection of uncomped 45s. Yes, I know it's not a moneymaking proposition, it's all about turning people on to hidden treasure. Anyone here try it? Was it a pain getting decent distribution?

• May 6, 2012 8:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was kinda one of those people Kopper mentions... though it was way before I discovered the Hideout (which incidentally does very cool contemporary comps! Great work Kopper! [even though I haven't actually got any of them... see below!])

I used to make CD-Rs for use on our radio shows (saved carrying in boxes of CDs!) and then give them away to friends... And as Kopper says, now you can just do downloadables...

However, not everyone has access to, or can afford to use, the internet... so there is still a place for the trusty CD.... For example, we live in rural Australia, there is only one internet provider (bloody TELSTRA! Listen to the brilliant song by Sour Sob Bob about its woefulness!) and just a couple of downloads and clips on youtube uses up the whole month's usage! It sucks! But I digress...

My point is that there is a market for well-thought-out compilations... maybe tying up with a good independent label (such as 'Off the Hip' or 'Laughing Outlaw' or.....) and though you won't make money, you should hopefully cover your costs, and we, the public, will get some great music... compilations ROCK!

Failing that, yes, make CD-Rs and give 'em away... and please send me a copy! heh heh!

Cheers

• May 5, 2012 8:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This used to happen all the time on the Psychotic Reactions forum on the old GaragePunk Forums message board (pre-Hideout). People would make comps of their '60s garage 45s and then send out CD-Rs. Of course, now it's easier to just make the comps downloadable. So yeah, I'd do it, but I wouldn't worry about distribution or actually making any money from it. Just give 'em away for free.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel