Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: San Diego in July

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 19, 2012 7:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a Canadian (Calgary) guy who's going to be in San Diego for a few days in July.  I want some tips on stuff to do there.  Let's break it down, shall we?

1) Record stores.  Which ones are worth checking out for quality vinyl?  I checked the Taang website and I thought the prices on the "collectible" records they had listed were pretty ridiculous.  Is it still worth a dig?  Where else should I check?  Also, if there's anyone from San Diego who's a collector interested in doing some trading, let me know.  I have some Canadian KBD type punk stuff I could bring and swap. 

2) Venues.  Where do the good bands play in San Diego?  I doubt there's anything announced yet, but I'd like to be able to check the websites for the cool places before I go.

3) Beer.  I have a professional and recreational interest in craft beer.  Where are the good micros and brewpubs?  I heard that Stone and Green Flash have both opened up new retail locations/pubs in the downtown area.  I also heard that Pizza Port is really good.

4) Tijuana.  Is it worth making the trip across the border?   

5) Any other touristy type bullshit I should do?  I heard that the museum on the U.S.S. Midway is pretty cool.

Thanks.

• June 7, 2012 10:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bar Pink (half owned by John Reis) has bands and DJ nights pretty much 6 days a week.  Tiki Tuesday is pretty awesome.  Off The Record is pretty much across the street as well.  they have an ok selection.  Whistle Stop is fun...good beer. 

• April 19, 2012 10:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

1) Record stores:

The best record store in SD is Record City in Hillcrest. Across the street from RC is another great store called Thirsty Moon Records. A few blocks away is M-Theory. Near Ocean Beach is Cow Records. Taang is ok for rare records, but the prices are so INSANE, it's almost laughable. I'd go to Record City first.

2) Venues:

For rock n roll/garage shows, I'd stick to The Casbah, Til Two and the Tower Bar.

3) Beer:

1. SD has a large beer culture... this place is super popular: http://blindlady.blogspot.com/  I think there is even a beer tour http://www.sandiegoisbrewing.com/  - I am not the right person to ask, as I don't drink... but I know Blind Lady always has a line out the door for their food and beer. On that same street is a gourmet pizza place that has the most amazing pizza ever called Zia's Pizza... 

4) Tijuana.

Personally, I'd pass unless you have a friend to go with during the DAY only. Don't go at night!! There's a record store on Revolucion, but it's always closed when I've attempted to go there. The police there are shady... but the food is good and there's lots of cheap beer!!

5) Any other touristy type bullshit I should do? 

If you're willing to make a little road trip, there's this RAD place called Salvation Mountain that is a few hours away near the Salton Sea and Bombay Beach... ghost towns, but great for taking pictures; Balboa Park is really pretty - lots of cool museums; obviously all the beaches; seal beach in La Jolla is cool http://www.lajollafriendsoftheseals.org/   there's a place about 45 minutes away called Julian, it's an old little town but they have really good pie and little shops... kinda nice to just walk around when the weather outside is good; the Birch aquarium is cool..... there's a lot of fun and low cost stuff to do around SD... have a fun trip!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel