Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Record Store Day!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 20, 2012 12:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wHAT ABOUT eUCLID  ? oR IS THAT NOT CONSIDERED PART OF sT. lOUIS....Or , did they close? i'VE ONLY BEEN THERE , ONCE. s'CUSE MY CAPS.

kopper said:

We still have some great record stores here in St. Louis that get a lot of support and have events planned for Record Store Day. Apop Records on Cherokee (great new & used underground punk/garage/indy/noise stuff), Vintage Vinyl on the Delmar Loop, Euclid Records in Webster Groves, and the (HUGE) Record Exchange on Hampton (which is housed in an old city library building and has an entire room full of old 45s).

• April 18, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

For real! Check it out:

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/rsd2012.php

John Battles said:

You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 18, 2012 10:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You know, I'm glad to hear that Criminal Records has actually managed to stay in business this long.  Wasn't it about a year ago that a bunch of press outlets reported that they were going out of biz?

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 18, 2012 8:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We still have some great record stores here in St. Louis that get a lot of support and have events planned for Record Store Day. Apop Records on Cherokee (great new & used underground punk/garage/indy/noise stuff), Vintage Vinyl on the Delmar Loop, Euclid Records in Webster Groves, and the (HUGE) Record Exchange on Hampton (which is housed in an old city library building and has an entire room full of old 45s).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 17, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IF NOBUNNY FINALLY %$#@!!! RELEASES "(How Can I Love You , Baby) You Don't Like Rock'n'Roll"AS A SINGLE , I'LL PAY RECORD STORE DAY PRICES !

Sorry to hear about your store . It affects everybody when a record store closes , because it's an ugly trend that spreads like wildfire.....No , the ugly trend is not supporting local small business by not buying music , period.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Our record store in RI is dying quickly and shifting to be a Hot Topic-type thing. Sucks. That said, I'm most likely looking for the same stuff (Nobunny, Dan M., Joey Ramone, McClusky)

but the Lee Scratch Perry set looks really interesting.

I am bummed because of the re-release of the pink cover Misfits Walk Among Us. It was already a Record Store Day exclusive a few years ago. 

• April 17, 2012 9:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WHAT NEANDERTHALS RELEASE AND WHAT LITTLE RICHARD RELEASE ?!!!!

Wipeout! said:

What Neanderthals release?!?

Alex said:

Definitely looking forward to the Neanderthals, Nobunny, Little Richard, and Trouble In Mind releases.

• April 17, 2012 9:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 17, 2012 9:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What Alison is talking about has already happened in many cities , and , of course , smaller towns , as well. It broke my heart , the last time I went to Dallas , and there was nothing left but a used CD store and Bill's (Which was , then , just barely located in Dallas.) . Real Records , and , perhaps some others , have turned up since then , but I NEVER take it for granted that Chicago stll has record stores , and is still turning up more record stores....Of course , many lean toward "Alternative Music" (Some of us are old enough to remember when Alternative Music WAS.) , BUT WE NEED TO GET BEHIND OUR LOCAL RECORD STORES (And the ones in places you may visit.) , BEFORE THEY GET WAY THE HELL BEHIND US !

As far as swag I hope to find , if I can even see past all the people (Easily 50 - 75% of whom never go to these stores , the rest of the year.) , I just hope to find some deals. I won't deny it.....I don't have a plan....If I thought more stores had one-offs for RSD that were more in keeping with my tastes , I guess I'd actually wake up , like , at 8:00 AM on a Saturday, to get there before they sell a whomping 20 copies and have to say they're out. ....But , that's just me. I can't make it to all the stores in one afternoon. For that you'd need a car , no speed limit , and a kickass statue of Shiva on your dashboard to ensure you can actually find parking. But ,to HAVE the stores to miss, that's not a bad thing at all.

Good luck with your Buck Owens coloring book, Alison. If I'd have even known such a thing existed , I'd have been looking  for it , too. 

• April 17, 2012 4:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weirdonia will be playing 2 record shops on the big day! 12PM at Dr Disc in Windsor and 4PM at Grooves in London.

As for releases? Captain beefheart.. bowie.. white stripes.. and flogging molly!

• April 17, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• April 17, 2012 10:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What Neanderthals release?!?

Alex said:

Definitely looking forward to the Neanderthals, Nobunny, Little Richard, and Trouble In Mind releases.

• April 17, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Our record store in RI is dying quickly and shifting to be a Hot Topic-type thing. Sucks. That said, I'm most likely looking for the same stuff (Nobunny, Dan M., Joey Ramone, McClusky)

but the Lee Scratch Perry set looks really interesting.

I am bummed because of the re-release of the pink cover Misfits Walk Among Us. It was already a Record Store Day exclusive a few years ago. 

• April 17, 2012 7:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• April 16, 2012 11:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

trying to get them Nobunny, White Stripes, Little Richard, Dan Melchior releases... however thesis presentations are that day too!! need to figure out a good time to sneak out before or after my presentation for hour or two

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel