Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Europe
  • Topic: Looking to start garage rock movement in London

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 16, 2012 1:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi,

Basically, I'm sick of playing gigs through promoters who only care about how many people you bring down and put on any band they can find

I play garage rock and want to play with garage rock bands.

Want I want to do is get together a community of bands who put on their own nights and don't care about making money through them.

Obviously expenses must be paid but this can be done pretty easily if you have enough good people involved.

Also don't be put of if you aren't from London. We can still help each other out and make it worthwhile for bands to travel to different cities/countries to play.

If we got a few of these events popping up through Europe than together we could arrange European tours come summer!!!!

This is the link to my facebook. Through Garage hideout and facebook we have all we need to start this up

http://www.facebook.com/lookoutkinglemon

Cheers

Lemon

• June 6, 2012 5:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Deviation Street - it's been running for two years...

plus the long-running Dirty Water club nights, and then the new kid in town, You Got Good Taste. Plus there's more out there!

• April 17, 2012 2:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My band would love to play London but some bad experiences in the past has put us off trying to get a gig there. We put on gigs in Bristol. Bands from all over the world have played the Fratcave and Frathouse gigs in Bristol. These gigs usually dont break even but whats more important is that the bands get paid, get some food and beer, and have somewhere to sleep. We are hoping to release some vinyl this year which should raise the Hi Class Joes profile. Then hopefully we will be asked to come and play London. We would hope that whoever puts us on can at least do for us what we do for bands that play for us. We cant afford hotels and need the petrol. Your idea of a Community is an admirable one.

• April 16, 2012 5:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey MR A,

the night sounds cool and would be cool to gig together.  You can download my music for free on the facebook link. The Fighting Cox is one of the first places I ever played!!

and yes, you have restored my faith a bit. I know there are good people like yourself putting on nights it's just hard to find them - so happy I posted this.

• April 16, 2012 3:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Lemon

Checkout my next London event WEIRDSVILLE Sat 12th May

Notice it's FREE ENTRY with 2 VERY GOOD garage/rock'n'roll bands on plus music'n'booze till 1am. How can you beat that?

I don't like to call myself a promoter but I put the night together, choose the bands make the movie projections, make the flyers, play the music and even introduce the band!! ALL FOR FREE, I get ZILCH, not even a beer, so I hope this restores faith in your view of London promoters. There are a number of FREE nights both in London and Brighton that have a similar outlook to mine, which is, putting on bands that DO IT FOR YOU!!

So far all the bands I've dealt with understand what I'm up against to make live music possible and they've all gone out their way to make it happen on the resources I can offer. Obviously like you said some money has to be obtained to cover the nights costs so you will have to work out how your gonna raise the £'s as nothing comes from nothing!

I suggest you get your band out there, post some tunes for download or make some youtube videos and bother people like me!

Good luck

Mr A

• April 16, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, I think this is already being done (not necessarily by bands though) . I don't wanna sound like a Know-It-All 'cause I'm not and I don't live in London, but I do know a couple of promoters that are doing a great job there (it seems to me) and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them here. Have a look at the other threads concerning London gigs and events here in this group for starters. Of course your idea is a great one in principal and I wish you luck and look forward to see how this works out. As far as Europe (and I know something about that because I live there) venues are based more around musical styles. for instance there are clubs that just do rock and roll or garage so these clubs breed a scene and of course host like-minded bands from all around Europe and abroad.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel