Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: DIY Vinyl Pressing

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 2, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check this out:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120320vinyl

The VinylRecorder T560: It Lets You Make Your Own Vinyl, at Home...

Tuesday, March 20, 2012
      by  paul

Why wait for some limited-edition vinyl release, when you can make your own limited runs at home! Enter the VinylRecorder T560, which has the power to instantly elevate anyone to über-hipster status. The T560 was conveniently on display at SXSW this year, and it's one hell of a concoction. Assembled and operated correctly, the VinylRecorder lets you groove your own blank platters, and even create colored or illustrated vinyl 'editions'.          

Actually, this thing has been on the market for years, and it's not the only do-it-yourself machine. But maybe now's the 'moment' for this previously-outlandish market niche. The VinylRecorder comes from Stuttgart-based team Fritz and Ulrich Sourisseau, and perks include multi-RPM recording capabilities (ie, 33, 45, and 78), multi-sized recording flexibility (5", 7", 10" and 12"), and the ability to listen to a track while it is being recorded. 

A word of caution: this is definitely not an out-of-the-box solution. In fact, you'll be picking-and-choosing among lots of different components, and you'll also need your own turntable (ie, a Technics 1200 or similar) to fit the maker. You'll also need to navigate a roughly-translated website at vinylrecorder.com, which is actually part of the fun.

That said, price tags are not for budget-conscious music fans. The 'starter kit' is 3,200 euros ($4,230), and there are lots of multi-hundred euro add-ons to consider. Buying or waiting-to-buy a rare vinyl release seems comparatively easier, but that's not the point - especially if you have lots of time, lots of money, and endless passion to devote to something like this.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 8, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's beautiful.

• May 6, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Personally I think any band that is trying to establish themselves needs to take their releases seriously. Digitally downloaded music has opened up a lot of doors, interestingly enough it has even opened up the door for vinyl become more affluent than it has been for a long while.

I'm with the Count in that if you are going to press physical copies of your music (which you absolutely should) the content and quality of the album is more important than the quantity.

What I mean is, if you're first starting out at establishing a band and you don't have much money then let the records be rare and the files be everywhere.

Also, cassettes are cheap as hell!

• April 7, 2012 7:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool.Just to mention that this doesnt give the same quality that the pro manufacturers do.

Correct me if im wrong but these give you dubplates,which go bad really fast.Not to talk about bandwith (which is limited in digital/home production in the first place)

These  products are aiming towards dj's or vinyl enthusiasts rather than bands that want to release their stuff....

Still really nice.

• April 5, 2012 10:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Our Bass player is the Director of the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum Maryland. The Museum has all sorts of cool stuff ranging from satellites, microwave ovens to aircraft radar and old time-y recording devices. In the spirit of fun and the discussion of the T560 vinyl recorder - I'm gonna see if we can borrow one of their old Thomas-Edison wax tube recorders to cut a few of our  bands tunes on. (We rehearse at the museum anyway) It might sound like reheated horse shit, but who cares? It might sound ultra cool. Besides, DYI isn't just all about saving money and slick production. Is it? Where's the fun in that. Some of the coolest stuff is cool BECAUSE of the flaws or low tech production. The same tunes might have sounded dull and lifeless produced in studio on slick equipment. I guess it depends on why you DYI. ~~~ All props to United Record Pressing though! They did a fantastic job with our EP. 

• April 5, 2012 4:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm sure you are 100% correct, my only issue is with 'cut back on beer and weed for a month and you'll have enough' Dunno how many are in your band, or indeed how much money you have, but I can guarantee that my twosome would NOT have enough in one month hahaha - don't even smoke weed either :-D

Count Brockula said:

These things are just awful. They make the shittiest, worse sounding records. You're essentially making a digital record. Even from a high quality source, they sound like complete ass. There's a company here in Canada that are calling themselves a pressing plant that uses these things and are charging almost the same price as a real pressing plant. We're doing 500 7" 45s and it's less than a grand! Cut back on the beer and the weed for a month and you'll have enough to make a real record! There's a reason records are made with laquers and stampers - they sound good! These records are just abysmal. Get your records done right! I dread the day I buy a record from one of these turd squeezers.

• April 2, 2012 4:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These things are just awful. They make the shittiest, worse sounding records. You're essentially making a digital record. Even from a high quality source, they sound like complete ass. There's a company here in Canada that are calling themselves a pressing plant that uses these things and are charging almost the same price as a real pressing plant. We're doing 500 7" 45s and it's less than a grand! Cut back on the beer and the weed for a month and you'll have enough to make a real record! There's a reason records are made with laquers and stampers - they sound good! These records are just abysmal. Get your records done right! I dread the day I buy a record from one of these turd squeezers.

• April 2, 2012 3:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here is the site of Erika Records. They do Sub Pop's vinyl, gorgeous slabs. 

That presser is too cool, but I'm guessing most punks still want a relatively easy way to press 500-1000 discs at first.

An acqaintance actually had a pressing plant delivered to Austin from San Antonio, and eventually he had to concede it was just too difficult/expensive to maintain. He sold it to 2 guys from Cali (no idea what became of it after that).

• April 2, 2012 3:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well if the source is a wav or an mp3 or any kind of digital audio for that matter, it is as good as well, nothing!and it is a very expensive investment and you have to find vinyl sources, and, and, well, if you are a musician, get as good as you think you can so you can persuade a small label to put your record out! unless you are filthy rich! but then again this is just me, a broke greek guy...

• April 2, 2012 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SCREW MP3! The Revolution is at hand!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel