Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums The Rest of the World
  • Topic: So you wanna come to Japan...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 19, 2012 6:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been meaning to write up a kinda guidelines for those interested in coming to Japan. Before reading what I have to say, I recommend this article because it makes a lot of sense and in someway backs up my experiences as an event organizer and booking shows:

http://japanmusicmarketing.com/article3.htm

Gigging in Japan is much different from anywhere else in the world and a lot more difficult to arrange for any band on the underground spectrum. I'll start with some main points about the live house system and other details that might differ from the west and then I'll give some advice and finally go a bit into what I do and what kinda acts I'm mostly into booking. So here it goes...

Be prepared to pay your own way for everything. This means airfare, accommodations, meals, and transportation within the country.

Plan at least 6 months in advance. Live houses start booking very early and if you want to secure good dates without the hassle, then get it done early. 3 months in advance is usually too late or cutting it close.

Most venues in Japan are considered "live houses" (kinda mini-hall type places) where an event organizer rents the place out for any number of bands but usually 5 or 6 to play for the evening. After rental fees, even if there is a great turnout, there is usually not enough to pay each band and most do not walk away with anything or even having to pay to play. The event organizer usually asks bands to help cover the rental fees (hall, green room, gear, etc.) and the visiting band is waived from having to pay anything, so understand that you are getting a privilege with no obligation to help cover the cost of the event. If there is a payout, it's usually just enough to cover drinking at the after party for 4 band members.

There are also "live bars" that have no rental fees, but since the capacity is usually only 20 to 30 heads, the payout is about the same as playing in a decently packed live house.

Since I've explained the basic live house system, I'll just go into a few other details that might come as a culture shock. First of all, don't expect free drinks. As I explained above, the bar usually is separate from the event organizer. In Tokyo drinks are not usually part of the deal. But it depends on the place. Outside of Tokyo, there is sometimes a discount at the bar for bands. Oddly enough, many places have no problem with outside booze, especially for bands, and you can easily bring a bottle or 6-pack back stage and chug away.

Another thing is that there is usually no guest list or the guest list is a discount price. If you have your girlfriend with you and she's taking pictures or working the merch table, she can get a "staff pass" and won't have to pay, but that college buddy you haven't seen in 5 years, he should at least pay the guest ticket price. If he's been living in Japan for awhile he should know the score.

A small note about accommodations. Some Japanese cats will gladly help you arrange hotels and help you book cheap ones and get deals and such, but it shows a lot more savvy if you can do it yourself and not rely on anyone for help. Also, couch space is not common in Japan, there's just no room, so sleeping at a Japanese person's flat is not usual and if you do happen to get an invite, it should be considered a privilege.

The best case scenario would be to get the backing of a Japanese label. This is not so easy, but if you can get the connection, they will pay for just about everything. You might not walk away with extra cash, but you won't lose money.

Another good suggestion is find a Japanese band with a similar sound and just ask them to help booking some shows. Chances are they will be very helpful and get you some great gigs, just remember what I wrote above and don't expect any big payout.

Whenever a band asks me if they want to play in Japan, I immediately tell them they must pay their own way for everything. I can book a few shows in the Tokyo area and I also have connections in several other cities, but they should be prepared to cover the cost the whole way. I try very hard to get payouts but it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the whole cost of a tour.

If a band agrees to pay their own way, then I try to match their sound to some of the Japanese bands I know. Honestly I prefer raw primitive garage bands with sounds heavily routed in the 60's and a killer stage show with some kinda gimmicky appeal. That's just what the Japanese garage audience wants and since I do mostly garage events it's easier for me to give the kids what they want. That being said, I've helped all types of bands get gigs and if I think you're cool, I will most likely help you out... assuming you can agree to the primary condition that you be prepared to pay your own way!

Most of what I've written applies to Tokyo area. I don't consider it a proper tour if you just play 5 shows in the same city, so I tend to book bands in Yokohama or Chiba if they come for a 3 or 4 show stint and even that's cheating a bit cause it's all kinda the same city. A proper tour would be getting down to Osaka and hitting a number of cities on the way. The bullet train is expensive but will get you there on time for sound checks. Renting a car is another possibility but gas prices and highway tolls are a lot pricier than what you might be used to, so this takes a lot of planning as well.

I think I covered most of what you should think about when considering a jaunt to Japan. I've tried to be as lucid as possible and I may edit this in the future or add more in the comments. In any case, feel free to ask questions!

• August 23, 2012 6:02 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Hey Marty . . . Leighton Koizumi here from the Gravedigger V and the Morlocks . I am very interested in playing Japan , since i'm also Japannese and haven't been back since i was a kid living in Yokohama. I have been talking with some Japanese people, Yumi gave me your contact and told me you have a label called Pacific Records. I also will see the Bats at the Funtastic Festival The Gravedigger V are headlining the 1st night. I toured China with the Morlocks last year and it really sucked. Just looking for some help like a booker or manager , etc. . .

on a different note

Hey this is one of my side projects, Leighton Koizumi's Featherwood Junction . . .
      i have two songs i recorded , and produced and is ready to go , ( except that maybe Steve Mckay from the Stooges may play sax on "Time to move").
      i would like to put this out on a 7" as soon as possible. Let me know or if you know of a label that might want to put this out.
      Note that the track Heetseeker is called "Easy Action"
      Hope your doing well . . .
      L

• March 23, 2012 10:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm gonna write an appendix to the book I wrote above. Maybe the first of many. Concerning backline, gear and soundchecks.

While it might seem like the cost of gigging in Japan is excessive, especially compared to the payout situation, there are some benefits. All live houses are equipped with backline line and enough gear for a band to "plug in and play." So you don't have to worry about borrowing gear from another band or anything like that. Drums and PA are included, but most drummers I know bring a kick, a snare and sometimes cymbals. Of course, many local bands bring their own amps to get that customized sound, but many just use pedals for that. Sound guys in Japan a very reliable, usually not drunk and very attentive to any onstage issues or problems that might arise. These guys are professional and always show up well before bands do sound check and are the last to leave. That brings me to the final topic in this appendix, sound checks. Sound checks or rehearsals (reha, for short in the local vernacular) usually start at 3pm. Some bands, usually the ones that have notched up several years of playing, will ask to skip the sound check and just "plug in and play" but every event will have a rehearsal. It's important to make these, but things go wrong, people get lost, weather turns to crap, things get stolen, batteries die, etc. so there's a certain degree of looseness when asking a foreign band to show up on time. That being said, it's best to show you're serious and make every effort to make sound check on time. Once you get to the venue, the staff will hand you a form with stage layout and a place to write your set list and indicate which songs are fast, slow, etc., and also indicate when you will do an MC (or excessive talking between songs). This helps the sound man customize your set to your style. The event organizer will give you a full timetable for the gig from the first sound check to the last DJ. If you don't get this timetable, you have the right to complain to your event organizer, handler, etc. The point is you have full access to gear, great sound guys who are working for you and a precise schedule to follow.

• March 21, 2012 2:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree there should be a group for all things related to touring. I can give input about getting shows in Taiwan or NY and even give insight to China or S. Korea, but I'd like to keep this thread about Japan only. However, I wouldn't mind hearing how your home town scene compares to Japan.

• March 21, 2012 12:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is quite close to what actually happens in Brazil as well.

Maybe we should start some sort of International Touring Experiences post, it might help a lot.

And thanks for the time and effort putting these lines up.

• March 20, 2012 12:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No worries. I'm not opposed to helping out underground bands. I just can't create a event calendar and start booking bands from here tho. The main reason I made this thread was so that bands can seriously think about what goes into touring in Japan since it's a lot different from other places. It's no so much that the culture is different, it's mostly that bands are expected to put up a lot of their own money, as it says in the article above touring in Japan is really a promotional expense. The part where culture comes into it is when, after playing a gig and the live house staff asks you to pay 1000yen for borrowing a guitar chord, save face and pay it and know that the other bands had to pay a lot more so you could play for free, just as an example.

I'd be happy to hear about other bands experiences touring in Japan if there are any out there. It might verify or correct or give further insight to what I know about it.

• March 19, 2012 11:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry, man.

Post deleted, anyway ;)

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

Honestly I was afraid of these kinds of requests when I posted this. I am usually swamped with a bunch of projects. I don't always have time to check out bands stuff. It's possible I can help you, but I'd rather leave this thread open as a question and answer.

And just remember the prime directive: be prepared to pay your own way... completely.

Future posters, please don't ask me to check out your band. However, I will answer any questions you may have about the ins-and-outs of touring Japan. Thanks!

• March 19, 2012 10:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Honestly I was afraid of these kinds of requests when I posted this. I am usually swamped with a bunch of projects. I don't always have time to check out bands stuff. It's possible I can help you, but I'd rather leave this thread open as a question and answer.

And just remember the prime directive: be prepared to pay your own way... completely.

Future posters, please don't ask me to check out your band. However, I will answer any questions you may have about the ins-and-outs of touring Japan. Thanks!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel