Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: BritRock @ the White House

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 16, 2012 4:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Seems some people in the UK are embarrassed that Mumford & Sons were chosen as the entertainment for the White House's state dinner with David Cameron. A columnist at The Telegraph wrote, "Where once we sent the Americans the Beatles, the Stones, the Who and David Bowie, now we can only extend to Mumford & Sons... Imagine the bemusement of senior members of the White House team forced to watch Mumford & Sons play. Only a few weeks ago they were hosting a sizzling White House blues concert featuring Buddy Guy, BB King and Mick Jagger."

Indeed, if true I'm sure there was a lot of "bemusement" taking place. 

Here's a link to the full piece:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100144487/why-david-camerons-us-trip-is-a-blow-to-ed-miliband/

• April 19, 2012 8:23 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Ha, at least it wasn't the Mail. That could give a seriousely scary view of a country on the brink of apocalypse. If you read the Telegraph you just start imagining that people in Britain are a bit like boring Republicans.

Tim said:

So no I'm not embarrassed by Mumford and Sons but I am embarrassed by David Camoron and the fact that people overseas read the torygraph! lol

• April 19, 2012 4:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not a huge Mumford & Sons fan though I do quite like them. Though of course they aren't 'legendary', like the Beatles, Stones, Who and Bowie etc, but they are hugely popular in the UK amongst a very wide spectrum of people from teenie bopping festival goers(and their parents!) to people who would class themselves as proper music fans. I quite like the fact that they have been successful with a style of music not often heard in the main stream. They have also gained very good reputation for their live performances.

Personally I don't remember being "bemusement" at them playing at the White House or hearing any comments of the sort. I did however wonder if they got to say the f word in front of a room full of such important people dressed all posh!

So no I'm not embarrassed by Mumford and Sons but I am embarrassed by David Camoron and the fact that people overseas read the torygraph! lol

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel