Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: what are some great theme albums?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 11, 2012 2:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Trying to think of some great albums with themes, or a story from beginning to end.

• March 20, 2012 5:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That sounds so damn brilliant!

Alex said:

"David Comes to Life" by Fucked Up is a complete rock opera that is quite good.  But what's even cooler is that the band also released a companion LP called "David's Town" in which they copied the style of about 15 different made up bands that were from the town where the fictional "David" grew up.  Each band was a fake band with a made up back story and different style (all punk and punk-ish), but they were really all performed by Fucked Up.

Here for the stir

• March 20, 2012 12:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I was in Austin last week I found a used copy of The Billy Childish Native American Sampler: A History 1983-1993. It's a collection of songs and poems about native Americans, including lots of surfy instrumentals.

• March 13, 2012 12:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

That Deadly Snakes album is awesome, but I can't think of any garage albums with themes other than "cars" and "girls," and I'm not sure it's the best genre for it anyway. However, here are some non-garage albums with themes that I have enjoyed:

Jucifer - L'Autrichienne (Marie Antoinette)

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat (travel, adventure)

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love (fairytale about a girl named Margaret)

The Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (the duality of the south)

• March 13, 2012 6:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

"David Comes to Life" by Fucked Up is a complete rock opera that is quite good.  But what's even cooler is that the band also released a companion LP called "David's Town" in which they copied the style of about 15 different made up bands that were from the town where the fictional "David" grew up.  Each band was a fake band with a made up back story and different style (all punk and punk-ish), but they were really all performed by Fucked Up.

• March 12, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John pretty much took the words right outta my mouth regarding S.F. Sorrow! That would be my number one. Of course, I don't need to elaborate on the great theme albums of The Who (The Who Sells Out, Tommy, Quadrophenia ). The Future album by The Seeds comes to mind. There's supposed to be a theme in there somewhere!

• March 11, 2012 2:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course , there's "S.F. SORROW"by The Pretty Things.

Some of Alice Cooper's later albums , such as "Welcome To My Nightmare" and "Goes To Hell" could be called story albums.

Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" WAS CONCIEVED AS A PLAY , EVEN WITH A SHORT CHILDREN'S STORY IN THE MIDDLE.  "Too Old To Rock 'n'Roll , Too Young To Die" , which I don't even own , was also constructed as  a play , or a short story , about an early British Rocker , once a hero , now , unable to cope with the changes in the 70s (Even with The Rock 'n'Roll Revival , it seems...). Great comic book foldout.  

Maybe , if you push it , David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" could be called thematic , particularly "Width of a Circle" (Protagonist becomes a monster , meets God in the form of a young man , and gets it on with Satan.) or "The Supermen" (re. The Holocaust in the horrific , yet wildly delusional P. O.V. of the perpetrators.). In any case , it's a great fucking album.

• March 11, 2012 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been listening to one of my favorite albums from maybe 5 years ago... The Deadly Snakes, Porcella.

When I listen to it, I can't help but feel like there's a story, or theme in there somewhere.  I can't figure out what it is.  Maybe there isn't one, or maybe I'm just too fucking dense to figure it out.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel