Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Coal Mining Garage Songs!!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 7, 2012 10:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Help me out here...

A strange genre.  I invented the subsection myself after finding a 60's title about coal mining - Bill Neil and the Mark IV - A Coal Miners Prayer out of W.V.   Anyone know of any other good rocking songs about coal mining?

This is one amongst a few others I've found about the perils of the miners life.  These others are usually bluegrass/country but one a 70's psych tune by a unknown "garage" progrock band Pyramid - "Buffalo" on Studio 1, about a flash flood from a coal slurry reservoir killing many in 1972.

Want to compile an anti coal / mountain top removal list for political gain and health in the mountains of WV.

• April 9, 2012 7:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now that is an amazingly good tough song you can smell the coal dust in the grooves, thank you Simon.

Simon Taylor said:

Check out "Peter Nelson & The Castaways-Down in The Mine" it's on Diggin Up Down Under comp....proper Aussie garage rocker

Or it's not exactly about mining "It's A Hard Life-The Seeds" kind of blue collar thing ?

• April 9, 2012 2:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out "Peter Nelson & The Castaways-Down in The Mine" it's on Diggin Up Down Under comp....proper Aussie garage rocker

Or it's not exactly about mining "It's A Hard Life-The Seeds" kind of blue collar thing ?

• March 19, 2012 5:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

(Last line) My stomach was full as it could be , and no one ever got around to finding Timothy."

hicksville hogwash said:

"sell his soul for a piece of meat"...  lol.  I think the music does not match the lyrical content, I wanna chew the violin players arm off right now...  Thanks for polluting my life for 3 minutes John.

• March 15, 2012 8:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"sell his soul for a piece of meat"...  lol.  I think the music does not match the lyrical content, I wanna chew the violin players arm off right now...  Thanks for polluting my life for 3 minutes John.

• March 15, 2012 1:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Who here knows "Timothy" by The Bouys ? Early 70 schmaltz - rock....Inoffensive , even written by Rupert Holmes ("The Pina Colada Song").....BUT , the almost unintelligible lyrics prove to be about three guys who get trapped in a mine. Their rescue is slow in coming. Their water supply is running short ,and there's no food. So , two of the Miners decide to eat Timothy , the more passive of the three. When the news of the lyrics got around , the song became a morbid fluke hit....Like Bloodrock's "D.O.A." , also a hit around that time....

"Timothy" was surely the first hit song about cannibalism , unless you want to count " Purple People Eater " , and you probably would'nt. The only band that I know of that covered "Timothy" was The Nervebreakers , who now own SXSW.

• March 12, 2012 4:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well , I think that's the beauty part. If someone really interprets a song their own way , it can be as though you've never heard it , otherwise. Today , I heard a horrible Black Metal version of some 80's Journey or REO song , I forget which. The forced  irony , in this case , did'nt make it sound any better.

kopper said:

Ha! I'd totally forgotten that Devo song was a Lee Dorsey cover. Duh.

John Battles said:

The best - known non - Country song about coal mining would have to Lee Dorsey's original "Workin' In The Coal Mine".

• March 11, 2012 3:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha! I'd totally forgotten that Devo song was a Lee Dorsey cover. Duh.

John Battles said:

The best - known non - Country song about coal mining would have to Lee Dorsey's original "Workin' In The Coal Mine".

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• March 11, 2012 2:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

" IT'S HERE.....TO STAY. ROCK AND ROLL , COUNTRY AND WESTERN , IT DON'T MAKE NO DIFFERENCE AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD MUSIC ! " Jerry Lee Lewis.

Good call on the Nancy   and Lee song. I had the  good fortune to meet them both. It goes without saying that Nancy is as down to earth as they get , but , Lee , too , was really pleasant , and he seemed blown away that he had so many fans. He'd been away so long , I think what's obvious to us had eluded him. But , he lived to see it , anyway.....

hicksville hogwash said:

Whoop.... another unforgettable forgotten thanks John, also there is Lee and Nancy's Arkansas Coal (suite) which I guess is country but I've always found Lee as psychedelic as hell.....  and a Chubby Checker song - Lazy Elsie Molly "used to carry coal on her back" but this is a little chirpy.

Man the big coal companies know how to throw cash at the silencing the anti coal rockers?!

• March 11, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whoop.... another unforgettable forgotten thanks John, also there is Lee and Nancy's Arkansas Coal (suite) which I guess is country but I've always found Lee as psychedelic as hell.....  and a Chubby Checker song - Lazy Elsie Molly "used to carry coal on her back" but this is a little chirpy.

Man the big coal companies know how to throw cash at the silencing the anti coal rockers?!

• March 10, 2012 9:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Bad Part of Town" by The Seeds starts off being about coal mining , but , has a happy ending.

• March 7, 2012 9:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"16 Tons" - how could I forget that one?  There's a Bo Diddley version of it on his album Bo Diddley is a Gun Slinger, but you probably knew that. 

I'm a West Virginia native (Parkersburg), so I'd like to hear the other tune you mentioned sometime.  Who's the artist?

• March 7, 2012 8:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The song - The Coal Miners Prayer is a stretch at being garage (i'll post it one day when I get the time to record it) but has a sweet 60's beat guitar sound and the vocals are pretty depressing but kind of country tinged "Oh lordy let me live another da-ay" and is cool for West Virginia mid 60's.  There is always "16 tons" of course, in infinite versions.

• March 7, 2012 5:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, this is a tough one.  There are plenty of folk/country-type songs about the topic, but I can't immediately think of any in the garage-punk vein.  You might see if there's any suitable cover versions of "Dark as a Dungeon", "Blackleg Miner", or "Nine Pound Hammer" out there (of course, the band Nine Pound Hammer is named for the song, but I don't know they ever covered it).  And the Dropkick Murphys did a cover of "Which Side are You On" a few years ago. 

• March 7, 2012 11:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, good luck with that! I can't think of any specifically "garage" in nature... the only one that comes to mind is Devo's "Working in the Coalmine." Does that count?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel