Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 18, 2013 9:35 PM CDT
    • Due to a 'cash flow problem,' I haven't been able to get my hands on the Big Beat version of 'Future.' I haven't read any thoughts on it, either. Can anybody clue me into their thoughts on the package? Thanks.

• June 18, 2013 9:35 PM CDT

• I forgot that second one.....Now , Alice Cooper was cool enough to have really been Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond.) , but HOW uncool does somebody have to be to grow up and become Marilyn Manson ?        It's true , Alice Cooper is now a Right - Wing Christian (Though he's been good about keeping religion and politics what they are , a personal matter.) and one of his TURDS is cooler than Marilyn Manson.  Alice still does a great live show , and his albums have been mostly pretty good since he left the Hair Metal Brigade. If Marilyn Manson was sending our kids to the Devil , then , The Devil must be about a LAME - ASS MOTHERFUCKER !!!!!!

But , why get mad? One made history , the other IS history.

The other big rumor , in the early 70's , was that Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell , Prince of Punks.) "Grew Up" to become Johnny Wadd , as John Holmes was then called.

David Clarke said:

I always liked the one that the kid who played Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver, ended up being Alice Cooper and that the kid from the Mr Belvedere tv show turned out to be Marilyn Manson

• June 18, 2013 12:46 PM CDT
    • I always liked the one that the kid who played Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver, ended up being Alice Cooper and that the kid from the Mr Belvedere tv show turned out to be Marilyn Manson

• June 17, 2013 1:09 AM CDT
    • "THE MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET" IS A RUMOR UNTO ITSELF , SAYING ALL FOUR OF THEM ACTUALLY PLAYED TOGETHER (LATER IN LIFE , JOHNNY CASH CLAIMED HE PLAYED A LITTLE RHYTHM GUITAR , BUT THERE'S NO PROOF OF THIS.) ,AND PLAYED ALLTHEIR HITS ( ABOUT THE ONLY HIT WOULD'VE BEEN ELVIS APING JACKIE WILSON'S VERSION OF "DON'T BE CRUEL"). NATURALLY , SAM PHILLIPS IS PORTRAYED AS A NORMAL PERSON , AS IN ALL THE OTHER FICTITIOUS BIOPICS. I WOULD HAVE RATHER SEEN A PLAY IN WHICH ACTOR/MUSICIANS JUST PLAYED THE SONGS AS THEY WERE RECORDED.

• June 17, 2013 12:56 AM CDT
    • I was at that signing. Lux and Ivy , and Slim (I think Harry here , too) were very gracious. Those signings at Tower in Chicago did'nt always have a set closing time. Sometimes they HAD to keep it going longer than expected , because some artists drew so many people.  But,
      I saw Lux and Ivy after the show the night before , and they gave me a rough idea of where their hotel was (HA HA) , and asked if they could walk to Tower from there. I said , it was about 10 blocks ,but ,knowing they were power - walkers , I figured they'd get there OK. They showed up late  , and I guess there was a time limit. There's someone like that in every crowd , with too much shit to sign. Some of their signings had a limit - I was allowed to get one item signed by Alice Cooper , but , Tom JONESwas signing anything you brought. Lux AND IVY WERE VERY COOL with fans , even ones that stepped over theline

Some frat boys snuck in backstage , the night before . Lux told THEM "You know you're not supposed to be here . But , I'll sign your stuff , and then , would you please go , quietly?".

i remember a cramps signing at tower in chicago where some dude and his girlfriend not only pissed off the band but the entire crowd by hogging half of the allotted time they had by bringing boxes of crap to get signed. the band was too nice to tell them to screw off and wouldn't let the store employees do it either. the offenders seemed oblivious to their idiocy.

• June 18, 2013 9:21 PM CDT
    • I'm surprised those songs even charted THAT high. I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It was a big music market , with three competing Rock stations on FM. If a record was a hit , but could still be considered "Rock" , it got regular play....But , even then , I kind of wondered why I never heard Meat Loaf on the radio. I mean , NEVER. You reminded me of one song , "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" , I saw him do that on The Midnight Special , "You Took The Words Right Out of my Mouth" , and then there's "Hot Patootie" from Rocky Bore. Until you named those others , those were the only songs of his , besides "Paradise" I could name , or remember EVER hearing.....

DJ: Guys ! You can't say stuff sucks on the air !

Beavis: STUFF SUCKS ! STUFF SUCKS !

Butthead: Especially MEAT LOAF ! He REALLY sucks !!!!

To be fair ,"Paradise" was a long damn song , that went in about 10 directions......
      Not FM Rock - friendly . Pretty soon , I would'nt be , either.

It was a song that I heard ABOUT more than I heard. A friend of mine once did the song at Karaoke , AND HE'D NEVER HEARD IT !!!!. Did a good job, too.......he did'nt do the female part.
      Johnny Lurg said:

"Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" charted at #11 in the US and Australia. "Bat Out of Hell" (the title track) failed to chart in the US, but was #16 in the UK. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" was only #39 in the US and didn't chart anywhere else, except for the Netherlands, where it was #1.

John Battles said:

Johnny , Well , there's a big difference between the two . Some songs , I also don't HATE , but , don't know why they're manna from Heaven to so many other people whose tastes , by and large , I trust. It IS to easy to take pot - shots at Meat Loaf , tho' I was amazed that I never heard him on the radio during his commercial prime....I can name maybe , MAYBE four songs of his. Apart from the fact that Christopher Lee introduced him on SNL (And that he actually did a pretty cookin' "Let It Rock" with about 10 Guitar players , one who appeared to be Brian James (?), on another episode of the same show.) , and ,of course the Rocky Overrated Picture Show, and his one or two hits (Did they even break teh top 50? Honest , I was there , but , I only ever heard him on TV, AND THAT MOVIE , and on OverraTed Nugent's "Free For All " album , I was washed by the blood of the lamb , in that I've scardely even HEARD Meat Loaf.

Johnny Lurg said:

I don't actually HATE any of those songs either, I just was pointing out several garage rock standards which I believe are overrated, especially compared to the rest of those bands' output. I was trying to avoid easy targets like Meat Loaf and be brave enough to focus exclusively on garage.

John Battles said:

OK , I could go , ????????? , but , you've got a right to your opinion. I'm not a huge fan of "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" , but I don't hate it....same is true of "Love is All Around" , only because The Troggs had so many songs that are better than the two they're largely associated with.
      Johnny Lurg said:

1) Mouse - A Public Execution

2) The Barbarians - Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?

3) Positively 13 O'Clock - Psychotic Reaction

4) The Pretty Things - Rosalyn

5) Paul Revere & the Raiders - Kicks

6) The Strangeloves - I Want Candy

7) The Troggs - Love is All Around

8) The 13th Floor Elevators - Baby Blue

9) The Sonics - Boss Hoss

10) Mouse & the Traps - Sometimes You Just Can't Win

• June 18, 2013 10:47 AM CDT
    • "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" charted at #11 in the US and Australia. "Bat Out of Hell" (the title track) failed to chart in the US, but was #16 in the UK. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" was only #39 in the US and didn't chart anywhere else, except for the Netherlands, where it was #1.

John Battles said:

Johnny , Well , there's a big difference between the two . Some songs , I also don't HATE , but , don't know why they're manna from Heaven to so many other people whose tastes , by and large , I trust. It IS to easy to take pot - shots at Meat Loaf , tho' I was amazed that I never heard him on the radio during his commercial prime....I can name maybe , MAYBE four songs of his. Apart from the fact that Christopher Lee introduced him on SNL (And that he actually did a pretty cookin' "Let It Rock" with about 10 Guitar players , one who appeared to be Brian James (?), on another episode of the same show.) , and ,of course the Rocky Overrated Picture Show, and his one or two hits (Did they even break teh top 50? Honest , I was there , but , I only ever heard him on TV, AND THAT MOVIE , and on OverraTed Nugent's "Free For All " album , I was washed by the blood of the lamb , in that I've scardely even HEARD Meat Loaf.

Johnny Lurg said:

I don't actually HATE any of those songs either, I just was pointing out several garage rock standards which I believe are overrated, especially compared to the rest of those bands' output. I was trying to avoid easy targets like Meat Loaf and be brave enough to focus exclusively on garage.

John Battles said:

OK , I could go , ????????? , but , you've got a right to your opinion. I'm not a huge fan of "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" , but I don't hate it....same is true of "Love is All Around" , only because The Troggs had so many songs that are better than the two they're largely associated with.
      Johnny Lurg said:

• June 17, 2013 7:17 PM CDT
    • Johnny , Well , there's a big difference between the two . Some songs , I also don't HATE , but , don't know why they're manna from Heaven to so many other people whose tastes , by and large , I trust. It IS to easy to take pot - shots at Meat Loaf , tho' I was amazed that I never heard him on the radio during his commercial prime....I can name maybe , MAYBE four songs of his. Apart from the fact that Christopher Lee introduced him on SNL (And that he actually did a pretty cookin' "Let It Rock" with about 10 Guitar players , one who appeared to be Brian James (?), on another episode of the same show.) , and ,of course the Rocky Overrated Picture Show, and his one or two hits (Did they even break teh top 50? Honest , I was there , but , I only ever heard him on TV, AND THAT MOVIE , and on OverraTed Nugent's "Free For All " album , I was washed by the blood of the lamb , in that I've scardely even HEARD Meat Loaf.

Johnny Lurg said:

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 17, 2013 5:12 PM CDT
    • I don't actually HATE any of those songs either, I just was pointing out several garage rock standards which I believe are overrated, especially compared to the rest of those bands' output. I was trying to avoid easy targets like Meat Loaf and be brave enough to focus exclusively on garage.

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 18, 2013 2:18 PM CDT
    • Due to a recent 'cash flow problem,' I can't afford Big Beat's release of "Future" by The Seeds. I have the first two in the series and have posted reviews around the web. But I have seen nothing on the new release of the expanded third Seeds album. I'm dying here, folks.

Could someone please review or point me to a review of "Future?" Thanks!

• June 18, 2013 11:53 AM CDT
    •  The Replacements - All Shook Down

I got it for "Bent Out Of Shape", but the others were not my cup of tea... :(

• June 17, 2013 7:57 PM CDT
    • SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "DAYDREAMING AT MIDNIGHT" - There are good SONGS on here , but Doug's Sons and their love for G'N'R permeated the affair ( Shawn Sahm , mind you , is doing an ace job with the reformed Texas Tornados , And Shandon Sahm, well , he joined The Meat Puppets about 15 years after I stoped caring , BUT , I CAN ACCEPT THAT MORE READILY THAN THE MYTH THAT THERE'S ANY G'N'R IN SDQ) ......DOUG CLIFFORD REPLACED THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY MIKE BUCK ON DRUMS , AND I KNOW , I'M WHITE , I REMEMBER NIXON , I SHOULD BE IMPERVIOUS TO HAVING CCR SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT 40+ YEARS. I LIKE SOME OF THEIR SONGS , OK , I GUESS , BUT , I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT HIS DRUMMING.......The BIG problem was how overproduced the album was.You can tell many of these songs would be gems if they sounded RAW (Which G'n'R and friends pretended to be.).......I kept my copy for their version of The Elevators' "You Don't Know(How Young You Are)" , though it , too , could have been stripped down , considerably.

BTW: Doug Sahm rebounded rather quickly with "The Last Real Texas Blues Band , Live at Antones'.".

On the other hand , Doug's otherwise uncommercial ( Swamp Pop -styled songs , all good.), but the ONE radio - friendly song . "Money Over Love" had HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.  Did'nt happen , though.

• June 17, 2013 7:44 PM CDT
    • If I may , I was'nt talking about the last Dolls reunion album. I heard it was so bad , I did'nt bother , either. You had to have the right people , and the right people joined Michael Monroe's Rock Like Fuck band ( They are'nt called that , but , they could be.).

I may be the only person , here , who likes all four Undertones albums. I'm not crazy about the Soul NUMBERS OF THEIR LAST LP , but , I don't think any of it's bad. And , you can hear some Psych and Garage influences smattered here and there. I like the first Modern Lovers LP and the live CD with JOHN FELICE ,OH , YEAH , AND THE FOWLEY SESSONS ALBUM. Basically , the same LP , three ways. Also a song or two here and there , like "Stop This Car , I'm Gettting Out" (JR solo? I dunno.). Weller , zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I tried , too , but , after The JAM (AND i'M FINDING MYSELF LESS KEEN ON "THE GIFT " IN RECENT YEARS.).

HENTCHMEN , ALWAYS LIKED THEIR LIVE SHOWS MORE THAN THEIR RECORDS , THO' THE FIRST THREE WERE FUN. HAVE'NT SEEN THEM IN ABOUT 8 YEARS.....

trashman said:

Have to join the ranks on what MikeL mentioned above in regards to the Undertones.  I just listened to that over the weekend and said the same as the thread title.  But when we get to that level there are tons of bands without that big hit that I might only say there is one song on that album.  I might join Mike with Modern Lovers album as well; other than roadrunner I don't find myself listening to songs off that debut album.

Vertebrats might come close to this category with "Left in the Dark" but I listened to that one over the weekend as well and found a few tracks on there I listened to on replay.

I never gave the last NY Dolls the time of day and listened to the album only one time.  

I hate to say it but maybe anything put out by Paul Weller in the last 15yrs.  Perhaps hard to find one really good song on any of that.  

hate just repeating all the above so I will throw one out - desparately needed to get the Hentchmen "Three Times Infinity" after hearing "April" on the radio. never listened to that album again.

• June 17, 2013 5:09 PM CDT
    • Really? You didn't like "Get Over You" from the first Undertones album, or "She Cracked" from the first Modern Lovers album?

• June 17, 2013 12:36 PM CDT
    • Have to join the ranks on what MikeL mentioned above in regards to the Undertones.  I just listened to that over the weekend and said the same as the thread title.  But when we get to that level there are tons of bands without that big hit that I might only say there is one song on that album.  I might join Mike with Modern Lovers album as well; other than roadrunner I don't find myself listening to songs off that debut album.

Vertebrats might come close to this category with "Left in the Dark" but I listened to that one over the weekend as well and found a few tracks on there I listened to on replay.

I never gave the last NY Dolls the time of day and listened to the album only one time.  

I hate to say it but maybe anything put out by Paul Weller in the last 15yrs.  Perhaps hard to find one really good song on any of that.  

hate just repeating all the above so I will throw one out - desparately needed to get the Hentchmen "Three Times Infinity" after hearing "April" on the radio. never listened to that album again.

• June 17, 2013 4:58 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I was really disappointed with that one too.

John Battles said:

THE NEW YORK Dolls' "Because I said So " had two good songs. iT'S TOO BAD , BECAUSE THE FIRST COMEBACK ALBUM WAS VERY GOOD , AND , THIS TIME THEY HAD TODD RUNDGREN TWIDDLIN' THE KNOBS.....

• June 17, 2013 1:16 AM CDT
    • THE NEW YORK Dolls' "Because I said So " had two good songs. iT'S TOO BAD , BECAUSE THE FIRST COMEBACK ALBUM WAS VERY GOOD , AND , THIS TIME THEY HAD TODD RUNDGREN TWIDDLIN' THE KNOBS.....

• June 18, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
    • "Pushin' Too Hard" was the first song that not only got me hot but changed my life. "Try to Understand" was so weird as a flip side, I played it over and over, inventing a scenario where the band was recorded in an undercover cave. Then the album arrived and then a live performance in all their "Spoony" gear. I was electrified. Not before (not even the Stones or Beatles) nor since have I experienced an electrifying month where I discovered the Seeds on single, album and live. I still listen to that first album and have shivers. 

• June 17, 2013 9:53 AM CDT
    • Heavens to murgatroid , even!! Thee Headcoats. i didn't know what i liked about it, and nobody that i showed it to liked it so i thought it was a fluke.

• June 17, 2013 7:18 PM CDT
    • Yes, the 45 mono version of "Up In Her Room" is @ 3 minutes long -- and a completely different take it seems. A stereo version of it was on a Seeds vinyl comp @20 years ago. The mono "Mr Farmer" has a completely different ending!

Yes, I'm sure we'll be forced to get out our check book once again for another "rarities' comp at some point... ;)

• June 17, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
    • The last of the series will be the A's and B's set, with as many of the rarities that can be jammed onto a 2-CD set. I don't believe it is set in stone yet, but there has to be to bookend the series. There's so much great stuff yet to be released like the mono take of Mr Farmer Marshmallow Overcoat mentioned.

• June 17, 2013 7:09 PM CDT
    • I'M NOT AWARE OF AN A's and B's set , beyond Jymn's mention , just now, but , the well's not dry , yet  , and we're being told more material is on the way.....Surely , the 45 version of "Up in Her Room" is cut severely? Maybe they think that would work well on a single , but not a CD. Maybe not......Sky Saxon claimed , I think it was when Bev Paterson interviewed him , that the original recorded "Out Of The Question" was over 10 minutes.  If only.

• June 17, 2013 6:52 PM CDT
    • I did order the 45 -- $25 including postage from the UK!?!? But as a Seeds nut I gotta have it.

BTW, I pulled out my original Seeds "Mr Farmer/Up In Her Room" 45 -- these are two alt mono takes/mixes not on LP -- and I was disappointed to see that neither are on the current Seeds re-issue CDs...

Is there a plan for a Seeds "As & Bs" release that they are being saved for?

I'll have to but them all over again, lol?  

• June 17, 2013 6:42 PM CDT
    • I like and respect Alec Palao a lot but these vinyl-only gems are pissing me off. ;) I hope he puts these on the "A & B's" release.