Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 12, 2013 7:55 PM CDT
    • THAT'S VERY TRUE.  I HAVE'NT HEARD ANY GOOD RUMORS , LATELY....

I remember the one about The MC5 REFORMING TO DO ONE SHOW IN DETROIT in 1991. That made it all the way here, to Chicago.

Turned out , it was Sonics Rendezvous Band . There were , HOWEVER ,  negotiations to get The  MC5 TO DO A VERY LUCRATIVE 5 - DATE TOUR around that time. They all agreed to it , but , one. THE LONE HOLDOVER WAS Fred "Sonic" Smith.

Dickie Peterson told me , at Blue Cheer's last (Pre - reformation)  gig in Chicago (At the BEAVER CLUB.), in 1971 , that "Two people on the dance floor started fuckin', and we had to all leave separately , in different cabs , to throw the cops off. They wanted to book us for causing "A disorderly situation". ". My friend , Bill , was at that show , and he said he remembers nothing about that. Hmmmmmm........

• June 12, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • It could be worse, he could have been singing about insurance.

John Battles said:

I saw an interview with Lemmy , in the 80's , where he was asked if it was true that he was seen with Morgan Fairchild at The Opera....."I HATE bloody Opera. I saw an opera on telly one time , and this bloke was singing about sausages. SAUSAGES!!!!".

• June 12, 2013 7:16 PM CDT
    • Well , Wilko's still here , and going full steam ahead. This is a man who once tried to pilot a plane , with no prior knowledge of how to.  It's a cinch he has more sense , but , still no fear.

• June 12, 2013 7:03 PM CDT

•  OK , I could go , ????????? , but , you've got a right to your opinion. I'm not a huge fan of "Sometimes You Just Can't Win" , but I don't hate it....same is true of "Love is All Around" , only because The Troggs had so many songs that are better than the two they're largely associated with.
      Johnny Lurg said:

1) Mouse - A Public Execution

2) The Barbarians - Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?

3) Positively 13 O'Clock - Psychotic Reaction

4) The Pretty Things - Rosalyn

5) Paul Revere & the Raiders - Kicks

6) The Strangeloves - I Want Candy

7) The Troggs - Love is All Around

8) The 13th Floor Elevators - Baby Blue

9) The Sonics - Boss Hoss

10) Mouse & the Traps - Sometimes You Just Can't Win

• June 12, 2013 4:29 PM CDT
    • 1) Mouse - A Public Execution

2) The Barbarians - Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?

3) Positively 13 O'Clock - Psychotic Reaction

4) The Pretty Things - Rosalyn

5) Paul Revere & the Raiders - Kicks

6) The Strangeloves - I Want Candy

7) The Troggs - Love is All Around

8) The 13th Floor Elevators - Baby Blue

9) The Sonics - Boss Hoss

10) Mouse & the Traps - Sometimes You Just Can't Win

• June 12, 2013 2:45 AM CDT
    • Yeah this is one of my favourites too!

Alison said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mHy9%2B2nnL.jpg

• June 11, 2013 10:48 PM CDT
    • i like that one , but, to me , personally , DTK is the shit. THE ORIGINAL BAND , WITH JERRY NOLAN (dUNNO MUCH ABOUT THIS TY STYX GUY , EXCEPT THAT HE PLAYED ON THE DEVIANTS' GREAT REUNION ep.) , IN THEIR PRIME , ON THE VERGE OF COLLAPSE , BAITING THE BRITISH AUDIENCE....THO' THE MAX'S LP HAD MORE 10 YEAR OLD - LEVEL SEX JOKES.....

• June 11, 2013 8:58 PM CDT
    • I'm not a huge Only Ones fan , but I LIKE them , don't get me wrong....I have that Live at The Beeb , and another Live (As in , before an audience.) album , bu t, I don't play 'em that much. I don't even have "It's Alive" on CD , EXCEPT A COPY A FRIEND BURNED ME, WITH NO SONG SEPARATION.    I never thought "SAturday Night Fever" was recorded live, maybe live in the studio......

Pete Sottrel said:

I have to agree with The Ramones "It's Alive) being the one that just leaps into my head, first and foremost.  It has to be the vinyl version, though; on CD the way the tracks are separated takes away the breathtaking rush of the experience.

If you don't know how ace a band The Only Ones were, "The Only Ones Live At The BBC" will reveal all, especially album closer "Programme".

I've always loved The Devil Dogs' "Saturday Night Fever"; am I right in remembering that this is a live album, or was it just recorded "as live" in the studio?  It sounds live, and is totally thrilling.

Theatre of Hate's "He Who Dares Wins" is worth an honourable mention, especially as that album plus the exciting John Peel sessions that were being broadcast at around the same time were the only things you could hear by the band for a while before the (in my opinion) relatively disappointing Westworld album came out.  And getting hold of that live album in a Suffolk backwater in 1981 was not easy, which made it even more desirable.

• June 11, 2013 8:54 PM CDT
    • Yeh , how could I forget Live at Leeds ? Crackling Noises OK , Do Not Correct.

That was probably the first example of packaging to make a legit release look like a boot (Barring all the inserts.). Come to think of it , some people might even say "The White Album", but the bootleg market did'nt really open wide until 69 - 70 , when The Stones started touring again and The Beatles were splitting up. 

Gringo Starr said:

These are truly awesome:

Pure Dynamite Live at the Royal Theater -James Brown

Kick Out The Jams -MC5

It's Alive - Ramones

How about:

Live at Leeds - The Who

How about some faked live records:

Seeds Raw and Alive (at Merlin's Music Box) - Ha ha! I know it's terrible but fun!

• June 11, 2013 8:48 PM CDT
    • UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........soooooooooooo good.

Alison said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mHy9%2B2nnL.jpg

• June 11, 2013 8:47 PM CDT
    • I just don't get it with Rollins , but he's almost always on the money if he makes a recommendation. "Love Power Peace" is probably only not as good as "Revolution of The Mind" because they were playing to a French audience , and not "Doing The Dozens " -  

" You're from LA GRANGE , BROTHER ? WELL , DON'T JUST LAY IN YOUR GRANGE , WHERE ARE YOU FROM?......WASSAT? YOU'RE FROM L.A.? I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN TO L.A., PROBABLY TOOK A GREYHOUND BUS , AND CAME BACK ON A SHAGGY DOG ! BUT WHERE ARE YOU FROM , MY BROTHER?!"    " L.A.  .... LOWER ALABAMA.".

Gus Ironside said:

I was going to mention Ritualism, too! As you say, it's a red hot album, quite incredible for a reformation. The first New Race album I got was The Second Wave (one of the Revenge ones, same taped  shows as were used for TFATL). MGT hadn't seen it and asked me to scan in the cover pics. Rob insisted on re-recording his vocals for The First and The Last, despite the original vocals being excellent, and Klondike added some guitar overdubs. 

Henry Rollins swears by Live At The Apollo vol 3 Revolution of the Mind as being JB on peak form.

John Battles said:

SURPRISINGLY , OUT OF THE 3 New Race Live Lps I KNOW OF (tHE OTHER TWO WERE ON REVENGE.), AND THE RADIO BIRDMAN bootlegs ("Eureka" would be the best if the sound was'nt for shit.), it's the "Ritualism" live reunion album (1996?) THAT REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS . Not knocking the others , but , I was amazed how foaming -at - the - mouth PISSED they sound , almost 20 years after the fact.

James Brown's "Pure Dynamite" IS savage , but , what about the Mother of ALL live albums , "Live and Lowdown at The Apollo.". I'M ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE (VERY EARLY ) 70's JBs (Bootsey and Catfish Collins , Fred Wesley , etc.)live LPs "Revolution of The Mind" and " Love Power Peace".

OF COURSE ,"kICK oUT tHE JAMS" rates right up there. "BORDERLINE" AND "STARSHIP"still threaten to break the sound barrier....

Ramones - It's Alive (And it's a no - brainer.). Runner up - Cambridge Mass. 1976 (Bootleg).

Creation - Live, Mean Fiddler ('94?).

Electric Prunes - Stockholm '67 (AND THEY SAID IT WAS AN OFF NIGHT !!!!).

Roky Erickson - Casting The Runes , Halloween (Live With The Explosives).

Roky Erickson and The Nervebreakers , Live , DALLAS , 1979. 

Heartbreakers - D.T.K. Live at The Speakeasy.

Elvis - Live, Pearl Harbor Memorial Benefit , Hawaii , 1961. This is how it should have gone down. Elvis , flanked by Scotty Moore , D.J. Fonatana , The Jordanaires  , Hank Garland and even Boots Randolph , performing his best sides from the mid to late 50's , and even "That's All Right , Mama" and "Reconsider , Baby". He sounds confident and cocky as Hell , like he would return to the mainland and go from strength to strength as a live act. Instead , he was chained to a movie contract.

ROIR cassettes section - Dictators- "Fuck'em if They Can't Take a Joke", ? and The Mysterians- "The Dallas Tapes , The Arcadia Theatre , 1984 (Though I remember it being 1985...) , Johnny Thunders - "Stations of The Cross''.

• June 11, 2013 4:50 PM CDT
    • This album's not too shabby. The drumming leaves a lot to the imagination but a great gig all the same!

• June 11, 2013 9:17 AM CDT
    • These are truly awesome:

Pure Dynamite Live at the Royal Theater -James Brown

Kick Out The Jams -MC5

It's Alive - Ramones

How about:

Live at Leeds - The Who

How about some faked live records:

Seeds Raw and Alive (at Merlin's Music Box) - Ha ha! I know it's terrible but fun!

• June 11, 2013 3:56 AM CDT
    • I have to agree with The Ramones "It's Alive) being the one that just leaps into my head, first and foremost.  It has to be the vinyl version, though; on CD the way the tracks are separated takes away the breathtaking rush of the experience.

If you don't know how ace a band The Only Ones were, "The Only Ones Live At The BBC" will reveal all, especially album closer "Programme".

I've always loved The Devil Dogs' "Saturday Night Fever"; am I right in remembering that this is a live album, or was it just recorded "as live" in the studio?  It sounds live, and is totally thrilling.

Theatre of Hate's "He Who Dares Wins" is worth an honourable mention, especially as that album plus the exciting John Peel sessions that were being broadcast at around the same time were the only things you could hear by the band for a while before the (in my opinion) relatively disappointing Westworld album came out.  And getting hold of that live album in a Suffolk backwater in 1981 was not easy, which made it even more desirable.

• June 11, 2013 3:17 AM CDT
    • I was going to mention Ritualism, too! As you say, it's a red hot album, quite incredible for a reformation. The first New Race album I got was The Second Wave (one of the Revenge ones, same taped  shows as were used for TFATL). MGT hadn't seen it and asked me to scan in the cover pics. Rob insisted on re-recording his vocals for The First and The Last, despite the original vocals being excellent, and Klondike added some guitar overdubs. 

Henry Rollins swears by Live At The Apollo vol 3 Revolution of the Mind as being JB on peak form.

John Battles said:

SURPRISINGLY , OUT OF THE 3 New Race Live Lps I KNOW OF (tHE OTHER TWO WERE ON REVENGE.), AND THE RADIO BIRDMAN bootlegs ("Eureka" would be the best if the sound was'nt for shit.), it's the "Ritualism" live reunion album (1996?) THAT REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS . Not knocking the others , but , I was amazed how foaming -at - the - mouth PISSED they sound , almost 20 years after the fact.

James Brown's "Pure Dynamite" IS savage , but , what about the Mother of ALL live albums , "Live and Lowdown at The Apollo.". I'M ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE (VERY EARLY ) 70's JBs (Bootsey and Catfish Collins , Fred Wesley , etc.)live LPs "Revolution of The Mind" and " Love Power Peace".

OF COURSE ,"kICK oUT tHE JAMS" rates right up there. "BORDERLINE" AND "STARSHIP"still threaten to break the sound barrier....

Ramones - It's Alive (And it's a no - brainer.). Runner up - Cambridge Mass. 1976 (Bootleg).

Creation - Live, Mean Fiddler ('94?).

Electric Prunes - Stockholm '67 (AND THEY SAID IT WAS AN OFF NIGHT !!!!).

Roky Erickson - Casting The Runes , Halloween (Live With The Explosives).

Roky Erickson and The Nervebreakers , Live , DALLAS , 1979. 

Heartbreakers - D.T.K. Live at The Speakeasy.

Elvis - Live, Pearl Harbor Memorial Benefit , Hawaii , 1961. This is how it should have gone down. Elvis , flanked by Scotty Moore , D.J. Fonatana , The Jordanaires  , Hank Garland and even Boots Randolph , performing his best sides from the mid to late 50's , and even "That's All Right , Mama" and "Reconsider , Baby". He sounds confident and cocky as Hell , like he would return to the mainland and go from strength to strength as a live act. Instead , he was chained to a movie contract.

ROIR cassettes section - Dictators- "Fuck'em if They Can't Take a Joke", ? and The Mysterians- "The Dallas Tapes , The Arcadia Theatre , 1984 (Though I remember it being 1985...) , Johnny Thunders - "Stations of The Cross''.

• June 11, 2013 10:41 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured lots of obscure garage by bands such as The Smoke Rings, The Hysterics, and music from The Rolling Stones, Ramones, Rudi, The Outcasts and Joe Strummer. 

Download/listen to the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130611-1030-t1370943000.mp3

Check out this week's blog post with some cool music videos here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/06/allah-las-and-professionals-show-459.html

The Play List:

1.  King Khan and The Gris Gris – Discreate Disguise
      2.  The Smoke Rings – Love’s The Thing
      3.  James T. Kirks – Paper Bags Got A Little More Soul
      4.  The Blank Tapes – Tamarind Seeds
      5.  The Scenics – Miami
      6.  Hysterics – Won’t Get Far
      7.  Hot Nasties – Barney Rubble Is My double
      8.  Teenanger – Bad Hand
      9.  Pow Wows – Rebel Stomp
      10. Jay Sad – The Stalk
      11. The Strokes – Fast Animals
      12. Jaill – Snake Shakes
      13. The Allah-Las – Don’t You Forget It
      14. The Limininas – Salvation
      15. The Professionals – Payola
      16. Rudi – I-Spy
      17. The Bears – Decisions
      18. The Outcasts – Self Conscious Over You
      19. Sloan – Jenny
      20. Ramones – Outsider
      21. The Rolling Stones – Confessin’ The Blues
      22. The Soft Boys – Rock n Roll Toilet
      23. Alex Chilton - Boogie Shoes
      24. Thee Oh Sees - Maze Fancier
      25. Joe Strummer – Passport To Detroit

• June 11, 2013 9:03 PM CDT
    • (pe)e music , RIGHT ON ! Is it cool to wear Davey Crocket caps , now that Matt Uhlman from The Royal PENDLETONS (WHO ALSO WORE HORNRIMS BEFORE THEY WERE COOL , AND PLAYED GARAGE MUSIC BEFORE...well ,it still is'nt COOL TO DO IT RIGHT , like The Pendletons , Fortune and Maltese , etc. ) does'nt seem to wear 'em ,anymore ?

Alison said:

Lenny gettin' hip to the new (old) sounds of some of the best bands wearing raccoon hats these days - just need to seek these bands on vinyl not (pe)emusic

• June 11, 2013 4:53 PM CDT
    • Lenny gettin' hip to the new (old) sounds of some of the best bands wearing raccoon hats these days - just need to seek these bands on vinyl not (pe)emusic

• June 11, 2013 1:49 PM CDT
    • Yes, I believe this is the same pressing I was asking about. I believe all the 45s were pressed in the UK, under license from Crescendo. I guess I'll have to track one down and report back! :)

• June 11, 2013 11:45 AM CDT
    • I haven't heard it, but it's been on my radar for a year now. I didn't know about the UK version, but the US pressing from GNP Crescendo (released last year) has been popping up on Ebay at US$15-20 a few times in the last couple of months. If you keep an eye out, you could probably grab one there in due time. Looks like this (says "Made in EU", but is a US label; catalog number is different than the original version from GNP Crescendo).

• June 11, 2013 10:31 AM CDT
    • Yes, I do think the new Ace 45 is the first issue of the full-length "pushin too hard." I can't believe no one here has heard it, though!

• June 11, 2013 12:59 PM CDT
    • Massive over-consumer of content from this site but haven't posted much.  Now, of course, I do when I'm pushing a sales pitch to raise funds for my band's first full-length effort.  We're The Tanked, from Portland, OR, pioneers of "drunk rock."  That's about the best bio I can write, really.  Anyway, if you have any interest, check us out and our funding campaign at http://igg.me/at/TheTanked.  Cheers!