Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 3, 2013 1:19 PM CDT
    • I´m not a big metal-fan, with few exceptions. Slayer was one of them.
      Slayer has been the only (thrash-)metal band i used to hear in the 80s, despite i was into a completely different kind of music, but still liked them a lot.
      They were great and so powerful!. Fantastic live, too.
      Jeff Hanneman was a great musician, no dubt!
      What a pity! and so young!

• May 3, 2013 10:57 AM CDT
    • Gotta admit, I never liked 'em. Never really understood all the attention they got, either. Whatever.

• May 3, 2013 3:56 AM CDT
    • Slayer don't do garage... even if they recorded a very powerful punk cover album, Undiscuted Attitude.

Jeff Hanneman is now gone and we think it's sad for the underground music community.

And you ? what about Slayer ?

• May 3, 2013 12:39 AM CDT
    • UMMMMMMM....... "lOVE IS all AROUND" (nOT "gARAGE PUNK AS SUCH , i KNOW)-

eITHER wET , wET , wET OR REM.

"Omaha" (Moby Grape)- Golden Palominos w/ Michael Stipe.

"How is The Air Up There" - BANGLES (HEARD WORSE, BUT IT'S FURTHER PROOF THEIR PRE - FAME ACCOLADES WERE UNWARRANTED.).

"WHAT A WAY TO DIE" - TRYFLES (I'VE ONLY HEARD IT ONCE , BUT IT SOUNDED .....POLITE.).

The Troggs doing Sam Kinison's version of "Wild Thing" - I love The Troggs , and I even love Sam , but , it does'nt work.

Again , not exactly "Garage " , but , here's a special lame Glam cover section"

Power Station - Bang a Gong (Get it on).

Krokus - Ballroom Blitz.

Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel The Noize , Mama Weer all Crazee Now.

Motley Crue - Smokin' in The Boys' Room (Not exactly Glam , but the mighty Brownsville Station were beginning to flirt with Glam trappings.).

Joan Jett - I Love Rock'n'Roll (I'll be shot at sundown , but I never got it with her post - Runaways stuff. Lo siento mucho. Besides , Allan Merrill , who wrote it , said Joan never made an effort to thank him.) , Do You WannA tOUCH mE (oH yEAH) . tOMMY jAMES WAS DOING THE WHOLE sUZI qUATRO/gARY gLITTER trip better, five years earlier , and of course, he did "cRIMSON AND cLOVER" , FIRST , TOO.

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World.   I prefer Lulu's version.

Ace Frehley - New York Groove. I even like The  Sweet's new version , better.

• May 3, 2013 12:05 AM CDT
    • OK , i HAVE'NT HEARD THOSE SONGS , BUT , IRONICALLY , I FOUND A VANDALS COMP IN A THRIFT STORE , the other day......Never listened to them much , but , I had a friend who did a HC show on public radio (He had the very best slot , and I had the very worst slot , playing Rockabilly , Garage , Blues , Glam , etc. I still had Hardcore fans bitching at me to play something at 360 BPM , AT THREE IN THE MORNING , AS IF I WERE GETTING PAID , AND AS IF THEY MADE DONATIONS TO THE STATION....).....I told my friend he should play more Vandals and Nip Drivers, stuff like that , because it made me laugh , instead of making me want to slit my wrists , after three hours of HC. i LOVED tHE Nip Drivers' "E.Y.O.B.", AN ANTI - MISOGYNY , ANTI - CUNNILINGUS (?!!) song from a woman's point of view. She says  "EAT.YOURSELF. OUT. BABY." , Because she does'nt like the guy "Gettin' down , down on me , yeah , down on me!" . She's not in the mood , or , maybe he's used force. Either way . it's Pop Punk before it sucked, and it lasts about a minute.

• May 2, 2013 6:59 PM CDT
    • I agree with you, John.  It actually seems to be in the same category as The Dead Milkmen's "Nutrition," Camper Van Beethoven's "Club Med Sucks," and Suicidal Tendencies' "Institutionalized" in its mocking satire.  I never wanted to take the lyrics seriously, so I'm glad that I don't have to.

Here's another "tasteless" punk song by The Vandals which deserves a mention.  This one's obviously a joke, otherwise it wouldn't be a Barry Manilow parody:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0EBLdnRECKA

It will take me a lot more convincing that this song is a joke, but the band One Life Crew itself is very laughable with their idiotic combination of Neo-Nazism and straight edge/vegan lifestyle:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/u_I2FIw7YEs

• May 2, 2013 5:18 PM CDT
    • I just wanted to read the lyrics before meandering some more.......Sure , it could be classified as , simply ,  tasteless , but not Meatmen/Mentors /GG Allin tasteless....It seems it was written as a joke. It'd still piss some people off , today , even with the comeupance of getting beat up by the one - night stand's ex- Boyfriend. Obviously HE's the one who thinks he owns her..........Not a bad pre - HC Punk Rock Toon , tho'.

John Battles said:

i've got to admit ,I've never heard of this group. I've heard of the group called "The He-Man Woman Haters' Club", that was Spanky and Alfalfa's kiddie misogynist group in the "Our Gang" / "Little Rascals" shorts. That's always been a running gag among men who say they've sworn off women , and prove to be lyin' motherfuckers , like Alfalfa.

• May 2, 2013 5:11 PM CDT
    • i've got to admit ,I've never heard of this group. I've heard of the group called "The He-Man Woman Haters' Club", that was Spanky and Alfalfa's kiddie misogynist group in the "Our Gang" / "Little Rascals" shorts. That's always been a running gag among men who say they've sworn off women , and prove to be lyin' motherfuckers , like Alfalfa.

• May 2, 2013 3:58 AM CDT
    • Falling Idols - HWH (this is allegedly an acronym for "He-Man Woman Hater," but don't quote me on this)

I am still shocked at how misogynistic the lyrics to this Falling Idols song are. Several members of this band would later join The Vandals, and at least four Falling Idols songs were later covered by Sublime.

Here are the lyrics in question:

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107859437088/

• May 2, 2013 11:53 PM CDT
    • ......I always heard that as "Don't need no human race" , as it rhymes with "Pretty Face" , unless you've seen it in print as "Human Rights" , which Stiv did'nt seem to care enough about to bring up , until he got involved in the "Sun City'' video.....

Yes , Leadbelly's version is the earliest readily known, but ,I don't think it was the first recorded version. I was listening to it , this evening , in fact. They're still funny lyrics ,anyway , the ones you transcribed.

This Leadbelly record has a few "What THE HELL'S " IN IT , WHICH WAS A BIG DEAL , back then. There's a version of "Whoa Back , Buck " that goes "Who made the Black man , oh , Goddamn", which is'nt in better known versions (Leadbelly re-recorded many of his songs.). First time I heard someone say HELL , like a swear word , was Big Joe Turner "If you did'nt love me , why the HELL did'nt you tell me so?!! ".....Tho' there were a lot of nastier Blues songs on private pressings.

• May 2, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
    • Real lyrics:

"Don't need no human rights." -Dead Boys, "Sonic Reducer"

"You gotta pump it in your pants" -Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Get Up and Jump"

"His head was found in a driving wheel..." -Nirvana, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" (which as you pointed out is a cover of Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter's "In the Pines")

"The grass is always greener where the dogs are shedding." -Soundgarden, "Outshined"

"Tattooed all I see." -Pearl Jam, "Black"

One that I forgot to list is "I don't even care if your dad's a he" for "I don't even care if your dad's the heat" in Frank Zappa's "Wowie Zowie" from Freak Out!

• May 2, 2013 5:01 PM CDT
    • jOHNNY , ok , I only actually know the first song , but , those are pretty funny. What are the real lyrics ?      Oh , wait , was "Where Did You Sleep..." Nirvana's version of the old Country / Blues standard "In The Pines"?

Johnny Lurg said:

"Don't need no human rice." -Dead Boys, "Sonic Reducer"

"You got a puppet in your pants." -Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Get Up and Jump"

"His head was found in a drive-in meal, but his body never was found." -Nirvana, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

"The grass is always greener where the dogs are shitting." -Soundgarden, "Outshined"

"Tattooed on Hi-C" -Pearl Jam, "Black"

• May 2, 2013 4:25 AM CDT
    • "Don't need no human rice." -Dead Boys, "Sonic Reducer"

"You got a puppet in your pants." -Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Get Up and Jump"

"His head was found in a drive-in meal, but his body never was found." -Nirvana, "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"

"The grass is always greener where the dogs are shitting." -Soundgarden, "Outshined"

"Tattooed on Hi-C" -Pearl Jam, "Black"

• May 1, 2013 7:45 PM CDT
    • You know , I had the hardest time
      getting my mind around that one..... I COULD'NT BELIEVE HE WAS SAYING THAT..... I knew Lux , and I never asked him about it. He was too busy talking about other people's music to explain his own. Now , I've forgotten what the Nova's version WAS saying. NO , WAIT ! IT WAS "RAAAAAIIIIIIIIID !!!!" , which was just a catch - phrase the real Crusher would use. Of course , it just sounded like somebody puking. I thought both versions started out with "READY !!!!!!" WHEN I FIRST HEARD 'EM. But , it was "RAID" , originally.

BUT , YOU REMINDED ME , THANK YOU , I WAS GOING TO MENTION THE CRAMPS ' VERSION OF "SHE SAID".......Which Lux sang with a styrofoam cup in his mouth (YUCK !) to emulate Hasil Adkins' vocal delivery ,making it hard to tell if he did know the real lyrics.....

"Looked at Me like a Dyin' box of those Thou - Thou cheese." (Hasil.)

'Looked at me like a Dinosaur about to jump out of the ice age" ( My interpreation of The Cramps' version.) .

"Looked at me like a Dinosaur about to jump out of the toilet seat " (One of guys in The Psycho Daisies told me that's how he heard The Cramps' version !).

Even Miriam said she thought Hasil was saying "It JUMPED OUT OF THE TOILET !" instead of "It jumped out of the bed" when she first heard the song.
      Johnny Lurg said:

Lux Interior screaming "RAAAAAPE" at the beginning of The Cramps' cover of "The Crusher" is probably a reference to a mishearing of the original Novas recording.

• May 1, 2013 2:30 PM CDT
    • Lux Interior screaming "RAAAAAPE" at the beginning of The Cramps' cover of "The Crusher" is probably a reference to a mishearing of the original Novas recording.

• May 2, 2013 5:03 PM CDT
    • Mike , I'm not kidding , I was thinking about that , too , but , my copy is on a shelf buried under so much debris , I did'nt havea chance to dig it out. I'd forgotten the title of the LP.

• May 2, 2013 5:46 AM CDT
    • Sham 69's "That's Life"LP I think qualifies as a concept album.

dave said:

No Punk LPs come to mind, but for 60s punk there is the Zombies Odyssey and Oracle and the Pretty Things SF Sorrow. I think one of the unofficial tenets of Punk was 3 minute songs and not too much to think about (not a put-down). Too much in the way of concept might get in the way of enjoying yourself (this is for Yank-style Punk fun, pre-hardcore [don'cha start me talkin]).

• May 2, 2013 2:11 AM CDT
    • Don't forget their follow-up album, Release of an Oath (Kol Nidre)!

On a more serious note, I'd like to nominate Crass' Penis Envy.

Andy Climax said:

Does 'Mass in F Minor' the Electric Prunes count?

• May 1, 2013 8:24 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I'd say , as a concept album , it compares with "Ziggy Stardust"....Very similar storyline (In the movie.)....It seems like someone said , "What if we wrote a movie and album around a Female , Punk , version of Ziggy ?".....You know , a street urchin puts together a Punk band , says nothing will contaminate their purity .......Nothing but egos , drugs , politics , money , big labels and fans getting it all wrong by impersonating the singer , Siouxsie - style.  OK , I have'nt seen "Breaking Glass" in over 25 years , but , I remember  seeing it as a double feature with "Rude Boy" (Built on a similar concept , The Clash having to grapple with being called "Sellouts" before they'd even had a US hit or turned the guitars down drastically.) in '80 OR '81....I saw it again , later , on late night TV , but , have'nt seen a commercial copy , since. I remember liking the movie , though it only took me a few years to find the music a bit plastic - sounding . But, I have'nt heard the LP since I was in High School.   Hazel O'Connor was dating Hugh Cornwall around this time.....

Andy Climax said:

On the same bent then. Hazel O'connors fabulous 'Breaking Glass' would fit the mould. Sold as a movie soundtrack, its much more than that. It broke the mould for a lot of New wave bands over here. Taking the best parts from Devo and Talking Heads but giving it a very British feel. Phil Daniels who played Jimmy in the movie of Quadrophenia plays a great role (again). 

• May 1, 2013 8:07 PM CDT
    • Hmmmmm.....I just discovered , well , not exactly , a band called Twisted Roots , which several of you might know about. They lasted about a year ('81) , and were made up of past and future Screamers , Germs and Black Flag members. I first heard them in 1986 , when a friend slapped their (Then) best - known song , "Snaked" onto an otherwise Garage / Psych mix tape. It sounded like early Blondie to me , only REALLY pissed off by comparison. The song had been on a Rodney on The Roq compilation. The comp I picked up was from 2004 , but , I seem to remember a similar one , way before that. Also , I saw an album by a solo act by the same name , an INXS /Simply Red LOOKING GUY.  Possibly related ? I FORGET.

Anyway , it's really experimental sometimes Punk/Sometimes Funk sounding riffs. Not unlike a more Punk - edged ESR or Red Krayola on their first comeback bid , or , even , sometimes , The United States of America (Which Mayo Thompson briefly joined.) , tho' it takes a dive into sheer atonality ,  on more than one occasion.  It's pretty interesting , with benefit of hindsight (Only four tracks saw release while the band was together.).

• May 1, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
    • yeah, and those organ-tunes on top, remarkable! 

Jon S said:

I'm usually not a big hard rock fan, but I like the lo-fi sound, punk energy and b-movie image of Satan's Satyrs.

• May 1, 2013 11:33 AM CDT
    • The April 28th Show!  Get it here: 

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130428-0030-t13671...

The setlist: 

DEL CLOSE & JOHN BRENT -  INTRODUCTION 
      TED TAYLOR - (LOVE IS LIKE A ) RAMBLIN' ROSE 
      REX GARVIN & THE MIGHTY CRAVERS - EMULSIFIED 
      THE CHIPS - RUBBER BISCUIT 
      THE COME ONS - HIP CHECK 
      THUNDER ROCKS - WHAT'S THE WORD?
      ANN CHRISTINE & THE RENEGADES-  COMIN' HOME BABY
      DEL CLOSE & JOHN BRENT-  BASIC HIP 
      THE BLAZERS- BANGALORE 
      TRINI LOPEZ - SINNER NOT A SAINT 

TINY MASTERS OF TODAY-  STICKIN' IT TO THE MAN 
      THE CYBORGS - HUMAN FACE 
      THE ANGRY HORNETS-  RED PHONE 
      THE SPITS - FLAGS 
      LOS HOLYS - SUENO SICEDELICO 
      DEL CLOSE & JOHN BRENT-  FIELD TRIP #2 
      IKE TURNER & THE KINGS OF RHYTHM- THINKING BLACK 
      HOMER DENISON JR. - CHICKIE RUN 
      LOS SAICOS - EL ENTIERRO DE LOS GATOS 
      THE FABULOUS PLAIDS - I'M COMING HOME ( TO YOU) 

THE HYDES - HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER BABY 
      THE HONG KONGS - SURFIN' IN THE CHINA SEA 
      DEL CLOSE & JOHN BRENT-  SUMMARY 
      MOHAMMED RAFI - JAAN PENCHEEHAN HO 
      THE HUNTINGTON CADS - THEME FROM MANEATER 
      LINK WRAY AND HIS WRAYMEN-  THE SWAG 
      SERGE GAINSBOURG / B. BARDOT - BONNIE AND CLYDE