Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 29, 2013 11:45 AM CDT
    • ....Oh , yeah, I love it. "They could nae(not)start a pissup in a brewery"!!!! THAT's funny.

By the time that stuff made it over here , people were taking themselves WAY too seriously* , regardless of their politics. I met a guy whose parents MIGHT have been at the hand - holding stage (Or even aware the other existed), in the very late 70's - early 80's when the Punk thing , as I put it , sort of tapered off. He said "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!!! THIS IS A WAY OF LIFE!!!!!". Geez , lighten up , Francis.   Most of us got into it because it was fun.  King Kurt ! HA HA, a friend of mine from London went to see King Kurt , and a huge food and shite fight erupted . He said his clothes were saturated in wet flour , which basically turns to glue , and he had to sneak back into the house , because he was still living with his parents.

*  What drives the whole point home is , in the Chicago Punkumentary "You Were'nt There", Mike O'Connell (Rights of The Accused ,Beer Nuts.) , who OWNS that movie , talks about how , when he was 15 , John , from the precious Effigies (They're all right , just WAY too serious.) was telling him "You've got to take this seriously , or , you'll end up a Lawyer !!".Then , Mike says , "Point is , I am who I am , I'm a Bartender , now , and John IS a Lawyer !!".    I saw The Effigies , once (Twice , actually.) . This woman was asking me why I was'nt dancing , and BTW , where WAS I , "Back in the day"? I said , I was in Dallas (Where nearly everything BUT humor was verboten.) , tho' I was familiar with Chicago bands like Naked Raygun , Effigies , and Bohemia in the 80's. The band closed with "Body Bag" , their big "Hit". She said "How can you not dance to this ?! This is an anthem!!!". Mind you , they sounded fine , but , I did'nt hear a single anthem in their set. Then , they finished , the DJ played "Two Tub Man" by The Dictators. I told her , "THIS is an anthem".

• April 29, 2013 4:48 AM CDT
    • One of the Exploited's offshoots 'Blood Uncles' were fantastic. recorded and live. 'Goodbye Mr McKenzie' were fantastic as well. The Exploited like King Kurt would move from town to town in Britain spreading mayhem and carnage wherever they went. Hilarious. These 2nd wave bands are funny tho. A direct outcry against a post Labour, new Thatcherite regime. It was pure comedy tho. The hair got bigger the clothes got holier and the members got drunker and drunker and they took themselves so seriously. All the talk of police state and anarchy. They couldnae organise a piss up in a brewery and it all fell apart very quickly. They either turned into Neo Nazi Oi type bands or became chartered accountants. Our new wave of punk bands tho are beginning to get a feel for it again. all the media that's available now really can give them a DIY attitude an I Fuckin loves it.

John Battles said:

OK , so , no one replied to this. I'm not trying to stir up any shit , here. I just never got it with The Exploited , GBH , and much of the 2ND WAVE UK Punk bands , just like I don't understand the appeal of the majority of U.S. HARDCORE BANDS AT THAT TIME. That's just my take on it. I'm outnumbered. A friend told me , in D.C. , among Punks and Skins , it did'nt matter if you were Black or White , but , it was All For AMERICA. The Exploited once took the stage with "Fuck The USA", AND GOT THE SHIT BEAT OUT OF THEM BY MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE.....

HEY , WHAT AMERICAN BAND WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK THEY COULD GO TO ENGLAND , SCOTLAND ,  OR ANY COUNTRY IN WESTERN EUROPE , AND SING 'FUCK "Your Country Here"'and not expect to get pummelled by people who are'nt even loyalists? , to say nothing about kissing your fee goodbye ?

PERSONALLY , I LIKE THE PEOPLE , AND MUCH OF THE MUSIC , MOVIES , TELLY , COMICS , ETC. , OF THE UK.
        THE EXPLOITED ARE'NT MY FAVORITE IMPORT , BUT , A LOT OF PEOPLE , HERE , STILL LIKE THEM. THEY HAVE AN AUDIENCE.

Here y'are. Scotland's finest giving ya 3 for 1 in the incorrect stakes, haha. hats off to Watty and co. Bless! Y'gotta love'em!

• April 28, 2013 10:15 PM CDT
    • OK , so , no one replied to this. I'm not trying to stir up any shit , here. I just never got it with The Exploited , GBH , and much of the 2ND WAVE UK Punk bands , just like I don't understand the appeal of the majority of U.S. HARDCORE BANDS AT THAT TIME. That's just my take on it. I'm outnumbered. A friend told me , in D.C. , among Punks and Skins , it did'nt matter if you were Black or White , but , it was All For AMERICA. The Exploited once took the stage with "Fuck The USA", AND GOT THE SHIT BEAT OUT OF THEM BY MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE.....

HEY , WHAT AMERICAN BAND WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO THINK THEY COULD GO TO ENGLAND , SCOTLAND ,  OR ANY COUNTRY IN WESTERN EUROPE , AND SING 'FUCK "Your Country Here"'and not expect to get pummelled by people who are'nt even loyalists? , to say nothing about kissing your fee goodbye ?

PERSONALLY , I LIKE THE PEOPLE , AND MUCH OF THE MUSIC , MOVIES , TELLY , COMICS , ETC. , OF THE UK.
        THE EXPLOITED ARE'NT MY FAVORITE IMPORT , BUT , A LOT OF PEOPLE , HERE , STILL LIKE THEM. THEY HAVE AN AUDIENCE.

Here y'are. Scotland's finest giving ya 3 for 1 in the incorrect stakes, haha. hats off to Watty and co. Bless! Y'gotta love'em!

• April 29, 2013 4:41 AM CDT
    • can't wait to hear. love these guys. I got Guitar Wolf tattoo.

• April 27, 2013 11:37 PM CDT
    • Wow looking forward to hearing this! The cover looks great too.

• April 27, 2013 12:20 PM CDT
    • Can't wait to hear it! Wolf Rock will always be my fave, but all of his songs are too hip!

Too bad about Bass Wolf...

Time to teach a new generation about the greatness of the Land of the Rising Sun!

• April 27, 2013 7:21 AM CDT
    • That's a pretty badass cover.  I definitely need to pick this up somewhere.  Guitar Wolf vinyl is always a must have!

• April 27, 2013 5:55 AM CDT
    • All that AND he's wearing a GONER records shirt on the cover!

• April 28, 2013 10:35 PM CDT
    • Radar Love - Golden Earring.

The SECOND LINE , i'M CONVICED , STILL , GOES "WE DON'T NEED TO FUCK AT ALL!"

('We Don't Need a Phone at All").

"Radio playin' some forgotten song , BRENDA LEE'S COMING ON STRONG"

FOR YEARS , I THOUGHT THAT WAS "BRAND NEW LEADS COMING ON STRONG" , WHICH WORKS !

And in the Golden Age of Streaking - " I'm spinnin' into a NUDE sunrise!" (Substitute "New".)

• April 28, 2013 10:28 PM CDT
    • THE MOB WAS MAKING MONEY , HAND OVER FIST , IN THE 60'S , ON TEEN CLUBS AND EVEN SHAKING DOWN TEENAGE BANDS. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THE SITUATION DIFFERS , TODAY , AS TEEN OR ALL - AGES CLUBS , THE FEW THAT EXIST , ARE NOT THE CASH COWS THEY ONCE WERE .....

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE FUCKING PIMPS EXPLOITING THE YOUTH ON SOME LEVEL. THEY MAY BE ONLY IN THE PLANNING STAGES OF SIPHONING ALL THE MONEY THERE IS TO TAKE FROM BANDS , CLUBS , AND EVEN PROMOTORS , WHO MAY BE AIMED AT A YOUNGER AUDIENCE.YOU CAN BE GUARANTEED THEY'LL NEVER SEE THE INSIDE OF A JAIL CELL.

But ,things are'nt always what they seem. There ARE people who just love the music , and want to give young Artists a break .

The horrific chain of events in Boston only further drives the point home , there
      are far worse things than Rock'n'Roll (Just turn on your radio.).  
      dave said:

Yeah, maybe Boston cops have found out that there're more important things to work on, haha! I was reading a book by a Welshman who's visiting the States, and he talks to a Bartender who tells him, "This is a fairly conservative town, esp. as far as nightlife goes."

I guess this proves it!

IDON MINE said:

Geez, as if Boston wasn't criminal enough to keep hem busy, ha! Seems like they got the idea that the mob has seized Hipster shows for their new big cash in thing, after asbestos removal - and someone has to investigate, hehe.

• April 27, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
    • Yeah, maybe Boston cops have found out that there're more important things to work on, haha! I was reading a book by a Welshman who's visiting the States, and he talks to a Bartender who tells him, "This is a fairly conservative town, esp. as far as nightlife goes."

I guess this proves it!

IDON MINE said:

Geez, as if Boston wasn't criminal enough to keep hem busy, ha! Seems like they got the idea that the mob has seized Hipster shows for their new big cash in thing, after asbestos removal - and someone has to investigate, hehe.

• April 27, 2013 6:02 AM CDT
    • Geez, as if Boston wasn't criminal enough to keep hem busy, ha! Seems like they got the idea that the mob has seized Hipster shows for their new big cash in thing, after asbestos removal - and someone has to investigate, hehe.

• April 26, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
    • I thought that if it was noise abatement, as well as licensing, this was a council matter. Here in England, you have to have a licence from the council for live entertainment.

There is something called Form 696, which demands information about the ethnicity and music to be played. It's a risk assessment form and was to determine whether it can go ahead on grounds being free of risk of gang violence or political protest.  

Fergal Sharkey even said:  "We learned that the Metropolitan Police, in conjunction with an organization called London Councils - a representative body for all London borough - at the end of last year jointly wrote to all 33 local London boroughs recommending that they insert some particular wording into their local licensing policy statements." He added that the London Borough of Hillingdon in west London, "tries to make a direct connection not only between crime and disorder and live music, but most astonishingly - I'm still knocked over in disbelief - between live music and the prevention of terrorism."[4][5

While I accept it's well intentioned, it can lead to unintended consequences. What about an orchestra playing Wagner's Ring Cycle being picketed on grounds that Wagner was an anti-Semite? Do the police stop the orchestra from playing to prevent incitement to religious hatred or send the protestors home on grounds of public order? I know you should ideally separate his art from his beliefs or what ever sexual proclivities (think Graham Ovenden, who is now a convicted nonce), but there are people who believe that art is inherently propagandist or a window into their minds.

• April 27, 2013 8:29 AM CDT
    • These guys are probably household names wi you guys over the pond, but a friend just ailed me these guys new album. Never heard of them before. Lovely

• April 27, 2013 6:05 AM CDT
    • My reaction exactly! Someone should send a pair to Hasil, who arts in... well, wherever he wants to.

MikeL said:

Holy shit!

That's all I can say.

IDON MINE said:

No real merch, but ANY country band new and old should have this on their tables ;)

• April 27, 2013 6:03 AM CDT
    • I see your idea... It's coming full circle.

Chris Henniker said:

Being an intern with the Good Toy Guide, I was doing some background reading with the trade press when I saw an advert for merchandising opportunities like Kiss Hello Kitty toilet paper. I thought to myself: "What are we coming to when you wipe your arse with a cat?" Then it clicked: If you have to wipe your arse, why not have GG Allin toilet paper? GG Allin toilet paper is more appropriate, for obvious reasons.

• April 26, 2013 3:53 PM CDT
    • Being an intern with the Good Toy Guide, I was doing some background reading with the trade press when I saw an advert for merchandising opportunities like Kiss Hello Kitty toilet paper. I thought to myself: "What are we coming to when you wipe your arse with a cat?" Then it clicked: If you have to wipe your arse, why not have GG Allin toilet paper? GG Allin toilet paper is more appropriate, for obvious reasons.

• April 26, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
    • BTW, this isn't merchandise, but it is another marketing tool...KISS is now working on a "Hello Kitty" cartoon that will include the band. A friend shared this on facebook, and he commented, "Just when I think Gene can't sink any lower." Another friend added "Paul. Stanley's. Face" because he is looking weirder and weirder from all of the plastic surgery.

• April 26, 2013 2:53 PM CDT
    • Holy shit!

That's all I can say.

IDON MINE said:

No real merch, but ANY country band new and old should have this on their tables ;)

• April 26, 2013 4:55 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist April 25/2013

1. Bang 74....Cloud Of Rock'n'Roll....from the Hi-Flying Dreams CD. We start this week's show in Spain with some nice 70's guitar pop.

2. Burnin' Ethyl...Ain't Never Bothered Me...from the Rock'n'Roll Combustion CD. These guys are in town tonite with The Hi-Tones at Fitzrays.

3. The Black Holes...Miss Pearl...from a live show at The Brunswick from 2002. These demented local rockabillies are still around and playing every once in awhile.

4. Bloodshot Bill...So Blue..from the CD of the same name. Bill says he's got another release coming out soon on Norton Records. That would be something after the beating Norton took last fall!

5. catl...I'm Going Upside Your Head....from their first cassette. catl are back playing, now as a 2 piece with Sarah handling the drum duties and catl still on vocals and guitar. They are at Call The Office May 4th and next week we'll be giving away 2 tickets to see them and a catl CD.

catl at Call The Office 4/25/2010

6. Pack AD... This Terror...from the Tintype CD, their first from 2007. Pack AD were nominated for a Juno Award (big time Canadian music award) but they didn't win. Congrats on being nominated!

Pack AD at London Music Club 6/11/11. Watch out for the ceiling Becky!!!

7. Terror Lake...Shit Storm...a demo from about a year ago. Toronto 3 piece that are supposed to be releasing something soon.

8. Drivin' Beats...Your Man Is Back...from a demo CD they sent us. Ripping 60's guitar sounds with surf, pop, garage and rock'n'roll overtones.

9. The 905's....End Of The Road...from the Break Out CD. We're going to feature The 905's on a Radio What Wave Session on May 16th.

The 905's at Moon Over Marin, Aug 11/2010

10. Black Jasper...Scum Of The Moon...from the CD of the same name. King Khan and his cousin doing KBD style punk.

11. Atomic Buddah...Should Have Seen It Coming...from their brand new CD, Blottered.

12. OUTTACONTROLLER...Creeps...from the compilation download, North Of The Border put together by Chris Forrest who co-hosts the Just Another Punk Show, friday night at 8PM on CHRW.

13. The Terminals....D Generation....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24.

TVD live at Call The Office 4/18/13. Mike, the guy singing was once in The Terminals.

14. The Marvelous Beauhunks...Sticky Kisses...from their brand new CD, Who Said The Kids Are Alright?. 

15. The Jags...Back Of My Hand...from the Evening Standards LP, 1980. Some catchy new wave/power pop to get you up and dancing.

16. The Records...Starry Eyes...from their self titled debut LP, 1979. 

17. The Droogs...Change Is Gonna Come...1984 7" from this band that was playing Sonics and Stones covers back in 74, long before the rest of us could catch up.

18. The Fleshtones...American Beat...from the 12" of the same name and goes out to Manitoba who covered this song live when they were at Call The Office last week.

Peter Zaremba of The Fleshtones, mid 80's, El Mocambo Toronto. 

19. The Blasters...American Music...from a 1982 single.

20. The Count Bishops...Teenage Letter...from their Speedball 7" from 1975. This features vocalist Mike Spenser, who went on to form The Cannibals and is still into this music to this day.

21. Flying Squad...Godzilla...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24.

The Flying Squad, mid 80's, outside The Civitan Club.

22. Swingin' Neckbreakers...Pool Hoppin'..recorded live at Call The Office 10/29/98. There were maybe 20 people at this show, which included the bar staff and the band. And The Swingin' Neckbreakers Killed that night!!! 15 years later and this goes out to Jay who was there but we didn't know each other at the time.

23. The Detroit Cobras...Cha Cha Twist...recorded live at Call The Office 3/7/2002. This was the opposite of the above show, it was packed and the band went through the motions, stopping early when Mary cut her strumming hand on her guitar strings.

24. Gordon Lightfoot...Black Day In July...1968 song that was banned on some radio stations due to mentioning the Detroit riots.

Thanx for the emails, phone-ins, facebook messages and Heys! Back again next week with The Mongrels (way cool local band that has been a secret for way too long) doing a Radio What Wave Session. A couple of The Mongrels have threatened to come on air and they might even talk!  All pictures from the What Wave archives, please don't reproduce without permission.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• April 26, 2013 2:57 PM CDT
    • I met Gordon , briefly , in 1987. She told me she liked my handmade Cramps T-shirt , and that Ivy was her all - time idol. Years later , Thurston Moore said , in that Punk interview documentary , his first Punk Rock show , which changed his life , was Suicide with the live debut of The Cramps in 1976 at Max's.  Later , still , Keith Streng from The Fleshtones casually mentoned being at the same gig , describing it to a tee , just as Moore did , though , he said he never knew , previously , that
      Thurston Moore was also there. 
      sdave said:

Interview in Elle with Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

KIM GORDON SOUNDS OFF

• April 26, 2013 2:48 PM CDT
    • OH, I should add , if you want to ask me , how did I not know , after hearing the second line of "Next Big Thing", well , when it was readily available in the early 80's for $3 OR LESS , I did'nt realize how much I needed "Dictators Go Girl Crazy" . When it was'nt available for love or money by the Late 80's , that's when I realized I NEEDED IT , ALL ALONG. I finally scored a copy for $5 in '89 . I think. Such a deal.

John Battles said:

Looks interesting.    I was never a big fan , tho' I have some of his records. I was reading in "Heebie Jeebies at CBGS's" that Hell basically refused to talk about what being Jewish meant to him in relation to the formation of Punk. He was'nt raised Jewsh (His Father was an Atheist.) , so , maybe even being ethnically Jewish was of little consequence to him. IT STILL WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING TO HEAR HIS THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT. This book will probably clarify none of that , and , that's his business. He acted like he was being "Outed", whereas Tommy Ramone stated that he only ever mentioned being Jewish  , and having relatives die in The Holocaust , at or around the time the book was put together , because he really did'nt think people would want to read about it. Personally , I thought Hell was Italian . Alan Vega , too. The Dictators , before I knew more about them , seemed straight - up Italian , also. But , they all tried to form their identity outside of their ethnic or religious identities , some eventually embracing their backgrounds.  
      dave said:

• April 26, 2013 2:43 PM CDT
    • Looks interesting.    I was never a big fan , tho' I have some of his records. I was reading in "Heebie Jeebies at CBGS's" that Hell basically refused to talk about what being Jewish meant to him in relation to the formation of Punk. He was'nt raised Jewsh (His Father was an Atheist.) , so , maybe even being ethnically Jewish was of little consequence to him. IT STILL WOULD HAVE BEEN INTERESTING TO HEAR HIS THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT. This book will probably clarify none of that , and , that's his business. He acted like he was being "Outed", whereas Tommy Ramone stated that he only ever mentioned being Jewish  , and having relatives die in The Holocaust , at or around the time the book was put together , because he really did'nt think people would want to read about it. Personally , I thought Hell was Italian . Alan Vega , too. The Dictators , before I knew more about them , seemed straight - up Italian , also. But , they all tried to form their identity outside of their ethnic or religious identities , some eventually embracing their backgrounds.  
      dave said:

• April 26, 2013 2:49 PM CDT
    • Tell the guys in Prima Donna I said "Hi":)

BTW, I also liked the Red Kross song too. I've heard of that band for several years, but I just never got around to checking them out.

As for Prima Donna, that song is all right, but I still like "Feral Children" better, along with "Sociopath," "Miss Avenue," and the title track.

John Carlucci said:

I liked the prima Doona song or the Red Kross song. BTW Prima Donna & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang will play together next Friday..

MikeL said:

I voted for Prima Donna that year, although I was really hoping "Feral Children" would be named a "Coolest Song" during that year.

• April 26, 2013 2:27 PM CDT
    • I had the chance to see Johnny Depp performing with Gibby Haynes and the group , "P" , in Austin in '93. I was IN the venue , but , they were following Roky Erickson. It was my first time to see Roky , ever , and NUTHIN' could have followed that. OK , MAYBE SLADE , ALL ORIGINAL MEMBERS , could've. I stuck my head in the doorway , looked inside momentarily , and went off to relocate my head , which was on the cieling , somewhere. I was an extra in one of Depp's movies. I did'nt get to meet him , but , he was hanging out right where I was sitting , when he  was off - camera. I found him to be very funny , and very good with people , not up himself at all. I could easily see him doing a self - indulgent ,  but very funny , Psychedelic album of his own.