List of newest posts

• February 28, 2013 6:42 PM CST
    • Man I wish I hadn't read this update.

• February 28, 2013 6:34 PM CST
    • too bad! Knock on wood! (for both) 

• February 28, 2013 6:26 PM CST
    • Yes, it was strictly a coincidence. 

Tersicore said:

But why they do such big things on the same w-end and town?? just coincidence?

• February 28, 2013 6:20 PM CST
    • I would have no doubt! Never been to either one as well but the Debauch-A-Reno sounds much much better... (don´t miss King Automatic!!:)
      The trouble is, i won´t go to either one anyway since i´m too far away... :´(

But why they do such big things on the same w-end and town?? just coincidence?

• February 28, 2013 5:31 PM CST
    • Hello, stupids!

The new Debauch-A-Reno poster with final line up is below. Yup, that's THEE Jello Biafra now on board DJing with us! 

Also, if you still haven't heard these fine Slovenly bands, you can stream a lot of it here:

http://slovenly.bandcamp.com/

See ya there.

• February 28, 2013 2:50 PM CST
    •  Are they only expecting about 200+ ? The Sonics could draw 500 here in Chicago , and nobody wants to book them. No matter , I'm with you , hands down , no contest.

• February 28, 2013 11:46 AM CST
    • Debauch-A-Reno, hands down. Both weekenders will surely kick ass, but only one bill has on it legendary bands you won't likely see again anytime soon. Also, bars in Nevada may stay open all night; no 2 am curfew like California. Now, is there enough white powder in Reno to keep 200+ rock'n'roll maniacs fueled through the festivities? I guess we will see. ;)

• February 28, 2013 5:24 PM CST
    • ha ha, somehow i got the feeling that is not really hard to make a good cover of a Dylan song, sorry! ;D

John Battles said:

There's so many....Jerry Lee Lewis made , pretty much , any song his own.

There's so many Dylan covers that , I believe, were better than the originals....

Pretty much any by The Byrds - My Back Pages , Mr. Tambourine , Turn , Turn ,Turn , etc.

Elvis did a total of two Dylan songs. "Don't Think Twice , It's All Right " was just a studio jam that went on for 10 minutes , but really drove the point home......a putdown to the one who put him down. Saying "iT AIN'T NO BIG THING" WHEN IT IS.

it Ain't Me , Babe - Johnny Cash and even The Turtles.

It's aLL over Now , Baby Blue. - Them , Chocolate Watchband , 13TH Floor Elevators.

Isley Bros. - Lay , Lady Lay "Now some people say this cat knows a lot about a lot of things . Me , I like anything that's goy LAY in it !" (Ronnie Isley) 

Yardbirds - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way .

Solomon Burke - Maggie's Farm.

OK , to be fair , I heard Dylan doing "It Takes a Lot To Laugh , It Takes a Train To Cry" , recently. It beats Hell out of Blue Cheer's version.

• February 28, 2013 5:19 PM CST
    • Well, since most of us grown up with R´n´R, Rock, Punk and so on, i guess is not too difficult to find more appealing versions of some old Jazz, Folk or old R´n´B songs. 
      We may have heard in most cases the cover earlier than the original one,  
      or maybe never heard the original at all. 

Personally i´d be more curious about comparing songs which were both, original and cover, quasi contemporary, or from not so extremely different musical genre.
      What do you think?

BUT: I´ll spend a beer to anyone who comes with a better version of the original "Smokestack Lightning" by Howling´Wolf! ;)

• February 28, 2013 4:05 PM CST
    • ok, i know both versions of the "pills" song,
      but who did the original "come on up"?
      both links, by way for comparison would be great!

dave said:

I think the New York Dolls cover of "Pills" the Bo Diddley song is even greater than the original.

Also, anything the Mummies cover is saaaa-MO-kin'. Here's "Come On Up"

• February 28, 2013 3:01 PM CST
    • Both Manic Hispanic and El Vez do an outstanding job of making song parody work AND rock , with Latino themes that won't alienate us chingadoros blancos. Of course , Robert Lopez was/is in The Zeros ...

Audio Gasoline said:

More of a re-make than a cover, but I think it's awesome:

• February 28, 2013 2:55 PM CST
    • I WOULD NEVER TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM FRED AND TOODY COLE , THEY'VE BEEN FRIENDS OF MINE FOR MANY YEARS. DICKIE PETERSON AND I WERE FRIENDS , TOO , THO' NOT AS CLOSE. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED BOTH VERSIONS , BUT , YOU KNOW , SOME PEOPLE LIKE BLUE CHEER'S VERSION AND NOT DEAD MOON'S . GO FIGURE.

Audio Gasoline said:

I suppose Blue Cheer's version deserves mentioning, but personally it never did anything for me: it always seemed kind of fractured and unfinished. Acid rock can be better when it's actually played while on acid, but it really should be mixed and mastered while sober :) Besides, I'm from Portland, so I got to stand up for one of our local legends.

John Battles said:

Of course , there's Blue Cheer's better - known version , and partly the inspiration for Dead Moon's "Rock like fuck " version.....Johnny Winter and John Mayall did all right versions , too.

• February 28, 2013 11:43 AM CST
    • More of a re-make than a cover, but I think it's awesome:

• February 28, 2013 11:42 AM CST
    • I suppose Blue Cheer's version deserves mentioning, but personally it never did anything for me: it always seemed kind of fractured and unfinished. Acid rock can be better when it's actually played while on acid, but it really should be mixed and mastered while sober :) Besides, I'm from Portland, so I got to stand up for one of our local legends.

John Battles said:

Of course , there's Blue Cheer's better - known version , and partly the inspiration for Dead Moon's "Rock like fuck " version.....Johnny Winter and John Mayall did all right versions , too.

• February 28, 2013 3:50 PM CST
    • Double post this week.  I did a program focusing on only recordings from the Sub Pop records label on February 19th, and an all surf rock program on February 26th. 

Download/listen to Sub Pop show here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130219-1030-...

Blog post on Sub Pop here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/02/subterranean-pop-show-443.html

Sub Pop play list:

1. The Day And Nights - Split (Sub Pop 200 - 1988)
      2. Jaill - Everyone's Hip (That's How We Burn - 2010)
      3. Cool Rays - Diary of You (Sub Pop 5 Cassette - 1980)
      4. Zumpano - Orange Air (Wraparound Cool - 1994)
      5. Hot Hot Heat - No, Not Now (Make Up The Breakdown - 2002)
      6. Obits - Let Me Dream If I Want To (Let Me Dream If I Want To/The City Is Dead - 2012)
      7. Sonic Youth - Kill Yr Idols (Sup Pop 100 - 1986)
      8. Scratch Acid - Greatest Gift (Sup Pop 100 - 1986)
      9, L7 - Shove (Shove/Packin' A Rod - 1990)
      10. Soundgarden - Sup Pop Rock City (Sub Pop 200 - 1988)
      11. Green River - This Town (Dry As A Bone - 1987)
      12. Eric's Trip - Anytime You Want (Love Tara - 1993)
      13. Sebadoh - Rebound (Bake Sale - 1994)
      14. White Stripes - China Pig (Party of Special Things To Do/China Pig/Ashtray Heart - 2000)
      15. Iron & Wine - Dearest Forsaken (Around The Well - 2009)
      16. Jungle Nausea - Job Club (Sub Pop 5 Cassette - 1980)
      17. Jason and The Nasheville Scorch - Broken Whiskey Glass (Sub Pop 7 Cassette - 1982)
      18. Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout (Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em - 1991)
      19. The Shins - Know Your Onion! (Oh, Inverted World - 2001)
      20. Pissed Jeans - Romanticize Me (Honeys - 2013)
      21. Wolf Parade – You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son (Apologies To Queen Mary - 2005)
      22. Handsome Furs - Cannot Get Started (Plague Park - 2007)
      23. The Go - Meet Me At The Movies (Whatcha Doin' - 1999)
      24. Dum Dum Girls - Bhang, Bhang, I'm A Burnout (Bhang, Bhang, I'm A Burnout/Last Caress - 2010)
      25. Nirvana - Been A Son (Blew EP - 1989)
      26. Mudhoney - In 'n' Out Of Grace (Superfuzz Bigmuff EP - 1988)

Download/listen to Revolution Surf (surf rock special) here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130226-1030-...

Blog post on The Ventures Walk Don't Run album here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/02/the-ventures-walk-dont-run-show-...

Revolution Surf (surf rock play list):

1. Kenny & The Fiends – Moon Shot
      2. The Surfdusters – Phantom Train
      3. Spring Break Shark Attack! – The Great White
      4. The Lancasters – Earthshaker
      5. The Journeymen – Rum Runner
      6. The Sentinals – Big Surf
      7. The Astronuts – Montezuma
      8. The Treblemakers – The Grudge
      9. The Bambi Molesters - Hot Water Pool
      10.Takeshi Terauchi - Cruel Sea
      11.The New Dimensions - The Phantom Skier
      12.The High Tides - On Desert Sands
      13. Luau or Die! - Launch Code 2 4 5 10
      14. Vampire Beach Babes - Dropping Da Curl
      15. The Kustom Kings - Firecracker 400
      16. Legato Vipers - Rat King
      17. Legato Vipers – Brian's Beard
      18. PJ and The Galaxies – One Mint Julep
      19. The Impacts – Church Key
      20. The Ventures – Raunchy
      21. The Ventures –Walk Don’t Run
      22. The Ventures - The McCoy
      23. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet – I Know A Guy Named Larry
      24. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet – Siesta Cinema
      25. Thomm Starr & The Galaxies – Heatwave
      26. Link Wray – The Earth Is Crying
      27. Traditional Fools – Davey Crockett
      28. The Tornadoes - Bustin' Surfboards
      29. The Lively Ones - Surf Rider
      30. The Bell Peppers – Tourettes
      31. The Bell Peppers – Gravy Trainers (Demo)

• February 28, 2013 3:03 PM CST
    • I don't think that'll happen , but , if it did , I'm there.

Boaby Digital said:

Demolition Doll Rods 'On' is an album I never tire of hearing. I'd love to see them come back for more sometime.

• February 28, 2013 11:20 AM CST
    • Deche Dans Face, The King Brothers, Doo Rag

• February 28, 2013 10:55 AM CST
    • Demolition Doll Rods 'On' is an album I never tire of hearing. I'd love to see them come back for more sometime.

• February 28, 2013 9:42 AM CST
    • The Mummies

• February 28, 2013 7:04 AM CST
    • The Gories

• February 28, 2013 3:08 AM CST
    • Randy Alvey and The Greenfuz , Jack Starr , MONSIEUR JEFFREY EVANS AND '68 COMEBACK , Gibson Bros. , Hasil Adkins , Dot Vaeth Group , Vomit Pigs , Shaggs ,  Gories , Demolition Dollrods , Bloodshot Bill , Nobunny , King Uszniewicz and his Uszniewicztones, Jesse Hector (Esp. Crushed Butler and his early Rockabilly efforts.), very early Cramps , T- Model Ford , Pat Hare , Hound Dog Taylor , Conversation Piece , J. Henry Timmis IV., First Red Krayola album.

• February 28, 2013 11:26 AM CST
    • FLACs would be downloaded though, not streamed, right? So artists would probably get paid per download, like mp3s on iTunes or Amazon. It's a technicality I know, but actual plays aren't counted, just the initial download.

Just saw an article this morning about Google getting into the music streaming game, so it's certainly something big business has deemed lucrative (meaning they get to keep more, and pay out less). Pandora and Spotify have been criticized extensively for their small royalty payouts, even as they rake it in as a company.

I see where you're coming from, though: all a major would have to do is sign an exclusivity deal with one of these services and revamp their royalty system. But it just doesn't seem like a smart financial decision, since they'd have to cut the other revenue streams to do it (like mp3 downloads, CD & LP hardcopies). Maybe at some point in the future, but right now streaming services are just one part of their profit-mix. I suppose Universal could always just go BUY a streaming service, too... (god help us...)

• February 28, 2013 7:38 AM CST
    • I agree, it's certainly better than anything Iggy's done since 'American Caesar' and is in no way as bad as most of the reviews claimed at the time. I'll gladly give a new album a listen, as soon as Iggy's voice comes in on any rock track it makes it at least 10 times better!

peskypesky said:

Hmmmm. I thought the Weirdness was pretty good.