Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 5, 2013 3:52 PM CST
    • Really digging your youtube channel.. Like that behind the scene recording aspect.  I would really like to play with your group.  Very rockn stuff indeed!

• February 5, 2013 3:49 PM CST
    • Our youtube channel has been created! http://www.youtube.com/user/greatdismalswamis

Yeah, feel free to share our track death mansions or whatever else I post.  I'll do the same for you.

Never, heard of fat cat radio.. checkin out pages ..now! Thanks!

• February 5, 2013 2:27 AM CST
    • Have you heard of FatCat radio? Also got you an address here in Aus.

• February 4, 2013 7:52 PM CST
    • Do you have a You Tube channel and is there a clip up there for the song you'll be using as a single? Also, if I may, offer to swap with over seas bands. Bunt tour Japan annually and we've helped out three Japanese bands here in Australia. I'm also going to put up a few radio contacts for you plus a few web pages that, I guess, are e-magazines. If you have a few minutes, our channel is www.youtube.com/BuntTV. Let me know what you think.

• February 5, 2013 3:48 PM CST
    • Eloquently put as usual JB, RIP Reg, another legend lost. Got a funeral tomorrow for a mate who played bass in a Dr Feelgood covers band, there'll be a rockin' party upstairs this week.

• February 5, 2013 3:14 AM CST
    • RIP Reg. The Mothership awaits. Very very sad. You will be sorely missed. You were lately seen especially in Britain as a bit of a crank an a UFO freak, but we will always remeber you as 'Mr Wild Thing'. When you meet Mr Lennon, Harrison, and Mr Marriott, give them a huge 'dubba dubba...cha! from us all. Good Times my friend!

• February 4, 2013 7:45 PM CST
    • I love this one -- with the SCREAMING girly! Cuz she wanted everything! :D

• February 4, 2013 7:39 PM CST
    • Yeah , great clip. This was from David Bowie's 1980 Floor Show on The Midnight Special. They also did "I Can't Control Myself" and their soon - to - be banned single , "Strange Movies" (Which was lyrically neutered for US TV . They still killed it.). Bowie approached The Troggs about doing the show , because he's just released "Pin-Ups" with all the UK (and OZ.)60's covers , and figured The Trogg would bring an air of authenticity ,  seeing as how many of their peer bands had already gone Cabaret. That's Amanda Lear at the beginning , Bowie Protege , rumored (By Bowie) to be a man.

• February 4, 2013 7:19 PM CST
    • Sad news. Love this clip here. Killin' it live:

Oh, that geeetaaaaaaaaaar! Ooooh, You MOVE ME!

• February 4, 2013 7:04 PM CST
    • Reg Presley , Lead Singer for The Troggs , for nearly 50 years , until a major stroke in 2010 and a diagnosis of Lung Cancer in early 2012 necessitated his retirement , has died from related complications. He was 71 . Virtually no information was given by the band's official website , except that he would be undergoing Chemotherapy , and an open letter from Presley to his fans was posted. Apart from that , the only news given was that The Troggs had announced they were to continue performing with a guest on lead vocals.  Yes , it seems ALL KINDS OF WRONG to me , too , but , surely they did this with Reg's blessing , and , besides , the other members of the group still need to make a living.

I met Presley (Nee Reginald Ball)  in 2000 , we were introduced by ace cat , and now - UK TV personality , Austin Vince. My interview with Reg , and original Guitarist , Chris Britton , could'nt have been more pleasant , it was more of a visit than anything. Presley told me , "We still do it because we truly enjoy it , and we like being in each other's company. I'd say 99 out of 100 times , when we get back together to play ,we can go on holiday for a month and come back , and it's always great , because you have NERVES , and you sort of GO for it.".

The good natured aggression inherent in The Troggs' music was reflected in the band member's personalities. They joked with each other at every given opportunity , "Troggs Tape" style , but , all in the spirit of fun. They were mates. But , they worked shit - hard on the road , keeping it real , and keeping it alive. Any Garage Rock fan worth their salt will cop to owing Reg Presley and The Troggs a debt If they don't , it's OK , they've still got The Rock. In their heads.

I'm reading the headlines , now , that Presley lost the battle with Cancer. You could say , rather , that he won , because Cancer can no longer get to him. Even if it takes hundreds of years , when Cancer can no longer do it's dirt , the music will remain.

Reg Presley , Loving Husband , Father , and Grandfather , Noted Authority on UFOs and Crop Circles , and frontman for The Troggs from 1964 to 2011 , and a Prince among men.

" Picture me as a Racing Driver, or a Sailor high at sea . Sowing seeds , watch them growing , would I be a different me? ".  "A Different Me" , The Troggs .

THE SEEDS ARE SOWN , THANK YOU , REG.

• February 5, 2013 3:46 PM CST
    • I think it's solid. Yeah it doesn't go back far. I mean it's mostly garage punk revival since the 2000s. But then again does anyone seriously think that something on an MTV channel is going to provide much more than stuff that is friendly to majors?

If they wrote it about the history it would scare and bore the kids. If it was anything too underground it would be too niche that it would turn off too many people.

It points anyone who doesn't know much about garage punk in the right direction, has a few cool vids that would haver certainly got me into the scene if I'd read it a couple of years ago.

• February 5, 2013 12:26 PM CST
    • Not a bad treatment of a complex topic, but you can tell the writer is young by her focus on the last 10 years; anything pre-2000 is just mentioned anecdotally. The Reatards, Oblivians and Mummies got worked in, but any hipster doofus could pull those names out of their ass. Lauding the White Stripes for ushering-in a new GP revival period is Wikipedia journalism. Their first album dropped in '99, after more than a decade of brick-laying by countless bands and now-legendary record labels. They might've been labeled a "blues punk" band if labels like Estrus, Sympathy, Scooch Pooch, Am Rep, Junk, Empty (the list goes on) hadn't already made "garage punk" a household name and assimilated less adventurous ears to the sound.

The Eric Friedl and King Khan interview segments were the best parts for me. These guys know their history and obviously have a deeper understanding of the garage punk world. Insights from the inside. 

It would have been nice to see a mention of the larger community of pre- & sub-genres that garage punk belongs to: garage soul, garage surf, power pop, beat, yada-yada. I suppose that's a bigger topic, though. Strange too, that no effort was given to the GP description in terms of equipment, approach to the studio/sound engineering, playing styles/techniques, song writing theories, etc. Surely these components have as much to do with the GP sound as mental attitude and stage costumes.

I don't want to trash the article too badly, because it is a better-than-average discussion of a near & dear subject. It's also nice to see some underground accolades from an MTV blog. But at it's root, this article seems to be aimed at the GP newbie: baiting the hook with the old "these guys are cooler than you" routine, and dropping some names to get people looking up YouTube tracks. A good introduction for the uninitiated, but a little trite for long-time fans.

• February 5, 2013 3:19 PM CST
    • I am from the Detroit area, so here is my recommendation for that slice of the world...

These are tough to find, but I am sure they are out there (at the very least, iTunes), but here is a link to the Ghettoblaster series of comps put out by the Motor City Brewery and recorded by Jim Diamond. Several great and now-legendary Detroit garage bands used to perform at the brewery and Diamond recorded the live performances (the brewery is located in the Cass corridor and is a favorite local hangout for garage rockers of that ilk).

There were some great takes captured live. Check it out:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ghettoblaster-a-detroit-sampler-vol-1-mw0001362164

There were at least a couple volumes and they all rock.

• February 5, 2013 1:23 PM CST
    • This is for the record collectors, although CDs are good too. I need some new targets on my record collecting radar, and I'm currently diggin' region-specific garage compilations. Stuff like "Brazilian Nuggets", "Sympathetic Sounds of Detroit", "Signed DC", "Texas Garage Punkers" (there's actually several good ones from Texas)... comps within the lo-fi world that include bands from just one city or state or region or country. These sorts of albums are so anthropological, they're like mini-anthologies of individual scenes, it's my new collection-related addiction. But so many are so obscure that it's hard to even find titles to start hunting for. Anybody have some suggestions? Any genres represented on The Hideout are fair game.

• February 5, 2013 1:19 PM CST
    • Right on! Urged my library to order it as well.

IDON MINE said:

Thanks for that, sounds interesting. I hope to order it soon. I'll let you know.

• February 5, 2013 4:33 AM CST
    • Thanks for that, sounds interesting. I hope to order it soon. I'll let you know.

• February 5, 2013 1:08 PM CST
    • I can believe it! Those guys really rock for a buncha middle-aged dorks like me ;D

aspire said:

Maybe not the best I've ever been too, but a few weeks ago I saw Off! in a small bar in Sydney and its the best gig I've been too in years, dudes tore shit out of the place!

• February 5, 2013 6:55 AM CST
    • first show: senzabenza, thee stp, rappresaglia, crummy stuff @corneliano d'alba - 2001 (eventually senzabenza didn't show up)

first punk show: " " " "

best show: gee, i don't know really, i have to think about it :D

• February 5, 2013 9:08 AM CST
    • The Trip! February 3rd show!

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130203-0030-t13598...

The setlist:

gert wilden -   rolf torring
      electric six -   rock & roll evacuation
      elmo williams -   been here and gone
      the horrors -   count in fives
      the bell peppers -   drapes n' squares
      the come-on's -   sugar fortified

buddy holly -   tell me how
      buddy holly   -   rave on
      buddy holly  -   well all right
      chris spedding -   hey miss betty
      the hellbound hepcats -   that lady
      the surfmen -   paradise cove

rodriguez -   sugar man
      rodriguez -   this is not a song, it's an outburst: or  the establishnment blues
      crystal stilts -   sycamore tree
      the league of notions -   living on the sidewalk
      the unquiet dead -   rescue me
      blue phantom -   distillation
      twenty miles -   junkyard

william shatner -   space cowboy
      the liquor giants -   hippy hippy shake

• February 5, 2013 8:33 AM CST
    • I'd say check out the "Surf Creature" comps, the "Diggin' Out" comp and the "Strictly Instrumental" comps. All really good stuff.

• February 5, 2013 4:10 AM CST
    • Thanks guys. That Twin Scrambler's track is ace. I did some rummaging about myself and found this one by Born Losers  http://youtu.be/qurQbOMukzY

• February 5, 2013 3:34 AM CST
    • I don't know about podcasts, but I can point you towards some records:

"Dickheads" compilation of garage surf bands covering Dick Dale songs

"Locked In To Surf" on UK label Alopecia has at least 4 volumes of great trashy instro surf

"Think Link" Vol 1 & 2 is all Link Wray covers from garage & surf bands

There's a lot of stuff on YouTube too, if you just need a quick fix.

• February 5, 2013 6:50 AM CST
    • hi, fabio here, i'm form italy

student, worker, lazy student, lazy worker, guitar player, lazy guitar player. 

i play in a one man band called butt galore. sometimes it's a real band, sometimes it's a one man band. :)

i like punk rock, raw rock'n'roll, but i'm into all kinds of music really (well almost). gotta nazi gurlfriend who won't let me attend many concerts, but hey i'm in love and don't mind staying at home while my favourite bands play at 30 km from my home (ok actually we fight a lot)

hope to find some friends around here!

• February 4, 2013 11:06 PM CST

•     I think I have some expertise on this  particular topic and can shed some light on the situation having been in this band for 5 years when they were in their prime.... Yes, Rudi stole the entire image from The Music Machine. The Fuzztones started as a novelty side band to his "real" band, Tina Peel. Tina Peel wore matching outfits of stripes, polka dots & checkers and Rudi played a Carvin Les Paul copy.  The funny thing is that the novelty side band went over better than his main band, so he kept doing it.  He pieces his bands together by whoever is available, then dresses them up to fit his "image". He tells them what guitars to play, what clothes to wear & how to cut their hair. In some cases, he had dudes that were bald, so he made them wear wigs.  Some of his band mates knew nothing at all about garage music, and were basically hard rock dudes that he molded to fit the look.  I was from a Punk Rock background & had my most success to that point as a member of the Power Pop band, The Speedies. The most amazing thing about the line-up of the Fuzztones when I was in the band is that despite Rudi, the other 4 of us had amazing chemistry & we took the band to a different place. Try as he did to control us, I did not work. I am & always have been a non-conformist. We had the chops & the spirit to put on an amazing live show.  But the original songs Rudi wrote were nothing compared to the covers we did. You have to realize that in the 80's the internet did not exist. It was not that easy to find these rare songs by bands like The Sonics & 13th Floor Elevators. A lot of people did not realize we were doing covers back then.  This was their first exposure to this genre. So now you have young bands emulating what we did while we were emulating what came before. IMO The Ramones & Cramps are in a different league, They had their own voice & did something more original than we did. We tried, but it was an uphill battle the entire time. 

Is it possible to call them "a Music Machine wannabee"-band just for a single glove used by a young Rudi, while on the other hand, still today, you hve bunch of bands wearing bones-chains a la Fuzztones? Are they Fuzztones wannabee bands?? I´m confused...  
      (but hell, it may be!.. ;)