Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 29, 2013 3:45 PM CST
    • I guess I don't really like deep voiced women. It sounds like it'd be an interesting story though.

Tersicore said:

Au contraire!... I´m totally shooooooocked!! Outch!  

You say you don´t like Nico´s singing?, OK, I´m fine with IT and I´m not picking at you!! But I can tell you something: She had such a beautiful voice while talking!!! So sexy and deep...  I was lucky enough to spend a whole night with her (No! not having sex with her, you perverts!!).  But a lot better: Alk, stuff and talk...whatever, none of your business ;)   more important then her strong voice: she was simply such a beautiful person!! You would love her voice that much as well, if you just got to know her! :)
      Rest in Peace, Christa. :*

TipplerMario said:

I don't think this will be shocking but, I hate everything The Velvet Underground did with Nico, I hate it, I can't stand it, is it her voice, idk, I just don't like it.

• January 29, 2013 1:40 PM CST
    • Yeah, it's good to be interested/involved with politics, but please keep it out of my music! One of the many reason why I can't stand Crass.

Mr Yates said:

I can't listen to any of that early 80's hardcore political punk rock anymore.

Back in the day I used to love it. I have a pile of Aussie punk in the record collection, I used to go to the gigs.  Even filled in on the Punk rock radio show from time to time on 3-PBS-FM from time to time.  Fuck, I even got tattooed by Smeer of Depression.

I don't want to say it but it bores me now. Some of the vinyl has sold for big bucks on eBay (thank you crazy Japanese record collectors). Maybe I will sell it all off, maybe not, I do know I will not be listening to it.

• January 29, 2013 1:27 AM CST
    • I've never heard a Bob Dylan song...and i don't really care. 

• January 28, 2013 7:15 PM CST
    • I can't listen to any of that early 80's hardcore political punk rock anymore.

Back in the day I used to love it. I have a pile of Aussie punk in the record collection, I used to go to the gigs.  Even filled in on the Punk rock radio show from time to time on 3-PBS-FM from time to time.  Fuck, I even got tattooed by Smeer of Depression.

I don't want to say it but it bores me now. Some of the vinyl has sold for big bucks on eBay (thank you crazy Japanese record collectors). Maybe I will sell it all off, maybe not, I do know I will not be listening to it.

• January 29, 2013 3:44 PM CST
    • That's the best on of the lot, it sums it up so accurately.

John Battles said:

" AH JUS' PLAY RAHK'N'ROLL MUSIC FOAH TH' KIDS TUH DANCE TEW. "
      Johnny Thunders. 
      Tim Napalm Stegall said:

"Rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be about taking a million fucking years to learn a million fucking chords on the guitar." - Johnny Rotten, 1977

"When your culture abandons you, create your own." Ira Robbins on punk rock, Trouser Press magazine, 1977

• January 29, 2013 9:22 AM CST
    • 'Punk ain't a fashion, it's pure music, its pure attitude and its more importantly a frame of mind! Vivienne Westwood can go fuck herself with a broken dildo!' D Barrat, lead singer with scottish band 'Novacaine For the Hole'

• January 29, 2013 9:17 AM CST
    • 'Ha! Still alive you fat bastard!' Stewie Griffin after going back in time and stopping Kurt Cobain kill himself using Hagen Daas ice cream. Check it if you don't believe! Genius! Cannae get more punk than that!

• January 29, 2013 6:48 AM CST
    • Here's an obvious, but genuine, one ... Words of my own mind:

"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."

-Kurt Cobain

• January 29, 2013 2:24 PM CST
    • yeah what this guy said ^^^^^, craigslist is the way to go.  don't sell your self short,  get a nice kit that will last and become part of you.  as a active drummer my self, i wouldn't go near a Sound Percussion kit, those drums are garbage.

Ddrums are ok, but i can't stand there hard ware and they look a little cheap to me personally.

I see good Ludwig, Gretch, and TAMA kits go for 350-400 all the time on CL. hell even some of those pearl kits are good to...

good luck

• January 29, 2013 9:23 AM CST
    • If you can find a set of ddrums for $350 go for it.  I'm not sure where you are located but in Canada you can get a decent entery level Ludwig or Gretsch for $700 or $800.

Also check Craigslist.  Good stuff comes up there cheap quite a bit.

• January 29, 2013 2:13 AM CST
    • I'm looking for a decent, but...cheap set of drums. Hey, i'm an art student in college, i'm not exactly climbing the money tree. My last kit was a Pulse and I loved it, it had great sound and was super cheap $300-$350...sadly my kit was stolen...so I need to start building up my setup again. I think the Pulse set I had is discontinued now, sadly, so I need to look for something else. Anyone know how Sound Percussion and DDrum sets are? 

• January 29, 2013 2:18 PM CST
    • This week's program featured new music from The Black Angels, music from The Mark Inside, Public Image Limited, The Rapture, The Cigarettes, Young Rival, XTC and more. 

Download/listen to the show here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130129-1030-t1359455400.mp3

Check out my blog post on The Black Angels and The Mark Inside:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-black-angels-mark-inside-show-441.html

The play list:

1. The Black Angels – Don’t Play With Guns

2. Holy Wave – Cool De La
      3. James And Blackburn – Two Trees
      4. Sam Coffey and The Iron Lungs – Bright Lights
      5. The Growlers – One Million Lovers
      6. Minotaurs – New Believers
      7. The Rapture – Alienation
      8. Public Image Limited – Theme
      9. The Mark Inside – Nothing To Admit
      10. XTC – New Town Animal
      11. Dot Dash – The Past In Another Country
      12. Bleachers – Rooks
      13. Actual Water – She’s A Priest
      14. The Stooges – Slide (Slidin' The Blues)
      15. 63 Monroe - At The Boot
      16. The Gruesomes – Your Lies
      17. The Fan Club – I Won’t Take It
      18. The Cigarettes – They’re Back Again, Here They Come
      19. The Soft Pack – Oxford Avenue
      20. Indian Wars – Florida
      21. Young Rival – Valerie

• January 29, 2013 1:32 PM CST
    • Wow, The Fall! What was wrong with 'em?

sideshow Barty said:

1st gig i ever went to was the fall in early 79,it was shit,as an impressionable 12 year old i remember thinking,sod this live music bit,im gonna stick to records.

• January 29, 2013 1:30 PM CST
    • No way, mate, all's fair!... New Oblivions lp out soon enough...

Mr Yates said:

The grass is always greener, you Yankees get the Oblivians, Hex Dispensers, CoCocoma, Raunch Hands......... 

And keep your filthy hands off our beer drinking kangaroo killing, Birdman lovin' Aussie sheilas!!!
      dave said:

You Aussies get alla the Good Stuff!  :D

Any Birdman-kinda stuff is right up my alley!

And Lightning Bolt is waaay too intense for a measly 2-piece!

And those beautiful Australian ladies, ooh!!

• January 29, 2013 6:14 AM CST
    • First show was The Blues Magoos at a local high school (NJ) in 1968. Saw them again in Woodstock, NY in 2009. 

Punk? Best? Don't remember, can't say. Grinderman in NY last year? Maybe.

• January 29, 2013 1:36 AM CST
    • I also got to see Green Day, i don't really care for Green Day, but holy hell, those guys can put on a fuckin show! I was close enough to the front that I could see their wrinkles...I had to wonder if they were tired...I could't tell. 

• January 29, 2013 1:30 AM CST
    • Saw The Casualties last year, it was fucking great. They played harder, faster, and more hardcore than the face painted metal heads they were touring with. Got drenched with their beer, stabbed with someones jacket spikes, and a lot of ribcage bruising from being in the front. It was a good time. 

• January 28, 2013 7:01 PM CST
    • The grass is always greener, you Yankees get the Oblivians, Hex Dispensers, CoCocoma, Raunch Hands......... 

And keep your filthy hands off our beer drinking kangaroo killing, Birdman lovin' Aussie sheilas!!!
      dave said:

You Aussies get alla the Good Stuff!  :D

Any Birdman-kinda stuff is right up my alley!

And Lightning Bolt is waaay too intense for a measly 2-piece!

And those beautiful Australian ladies, ooh!!

• January 28, 2013 6:38 PM CST
    • WHEN I WAS IN MY EARLY TEENS ,  I DID'NT GET TO GO TO A LOT OF CONCERTS , MAYBE 2 OR 3 A YEAR , SO , I BEGAN TO COLLECT LIVE ALBUMS , BACK WHEN EVERY BAND HAD TOHAVE AT LEAST ONE....SO I , LARGELY , FILLED THE GAP THAT WAY. ON WEEKENDS , MY BROTHERS WOULD BE OUT , AND THEY'D LET ME USE THEIR STEREO , SO , WELL , I HAD A HELLUVA IMAGINATION.....

• January 28, 2013 8:15 PM CST
    • The name's Justin.

Haven't been on here for a long time, mostly just lurked around and scoped the 'casts. I've never really been into forums until this past, but only on www.chopcult.com

I've been working/living at a lodge in Sequoia National Park, CA since March '12.

Spend most of my free time working on my bike, reading, hiking, camping and such. All while jamming to some of the older podcasts I have. Flying Saucer, Wild Wild Sound, Surfcast, Shout Bamalama!

• January 28, 2013 1:58 PM CST
    • Lookout Records was a big influence for me growing up in the Bay Area. I was too young for the Purple Onion Budget Rock scene, but all-ages pop punk shows were abundant thanks to Lookout's support. I became a huge fan of The Groovie Ghoulies. I remember the excitement as World Contact Day came out and I went to the video shoot for Island of Pogo Pogo. Lookout also exposed me to the Hi Fives, which were the first "retro" band I ever saw. Seeing guys spazzing out with suits and vintage guitars certainly left a big impact.

What no one has mentioned so far was the change in management in  1997 and how that ruined Lookout. Larry Livermore created a defined identity for Lookout Records. With new releases, you knew that the band would fit within the style. When Livermore retired and Chris Appelgren from the PeeChees took over, it was the beginning of the end. Chris' taste was more artsy and open to emo, post-punk and more experimental groups. Gradually, the pop-punk bands were cut and different kinds of bands moved in. Part of Lookout's effectiveness was its judge of taste, but under Appelgren, you couldn't count on a band fitting into the Ramones-y pop punk idiom. I know that at the time, I quickly lost interest in Lookout and moved on to other things.

• January 28, 2013 12:00 PM CST
    • The Trip! January 27th 2013 Show! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130127-0030-t1359246600.mp3

The setlist:

PARK AVE. PLAYGROUND

THE TRIP!

THE SMOKE

MY FRIEND JACK

GOODNIGHT LOVING

MAD IS THE MAN

CALICO WALL

I'M A LIVING SICKNESS

KENNY & THE KASUALS

JOURNEY TO TYME

THE DEMONS OF NEGATIVITY