Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 22, 2013 4:46 PM CST
    • "You won't see me working 9-to-5/Too much fun being alive.'  (from Problems)

"[Music] shouldn't be about some cunt on a stage yapping about how terrible it is to be on the dole. 'Cause when I was on the dole it was not terrible. I was being paid for not working."  -John Lydon

• January 22, 2013 4:38 PM CST
    • "If you go and see a rock group, you want to see someone tearing their soul apart at thirty-six bars a second, not listen to some instrumental slush. Since '67, music has been chasing itself up a blind alley with all that shit."  -Joe Strummer

• January 22, 2013 1:07 PM CST
    • That Ira Robbins quote is pure gold. Hundreds of tribes running in the streets...

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

"Rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be about taking a million fucking years to learn a million fucking chords on the guitar." - Johnny Rotten, 1977

"When your culture abandons you, create your own." Ira Robbins on punk rock, Trouser Press magazine, 1977

• January 22, 2013 1:04 PM CST
    • Shhhh!

John Battles said:

I trust you won't , dave , you're into this , too , to the tune of about......I can say no more.

dave said:

Promise I won't tell a soul, John!!

John Battles said:

Me: Do you remember playing this place called The Hot Klub in Dallas in 1980 , and this guy named Bobby Soxx slashed your tires?

Hugh Cornwall: Maybe , not sure...

Me: Well , I thought you might want to know, he's dead , now.

Hugh: Oh. Did you play any part in his demise?

• January 22, 2013 3:26 PM CST
    • Did the podcasting basics page get moved? That link doesn't work.

• January 22, 2013 3:04 PM CST
    • For its time Lookout was great.  Being on the other side of country in late 80's listening to Crimpshrine is something I'll always remember.  Cant say I listened to anything after 94 and thats pushing it except for some Vindictives 7 "s

• January 22, 2013 2:46 PM CST
    • Don't feel bad, check this out: The Ramones came to my hometown of College Station, TX (!!), itself a miracle, with DeeDee playing, in a small venue and I-didn't-go. At that time I rarely drank, and had seen New Order sober- boy, did that suck, worst concert I've ever been to! So, even though I was an avid Ramones fan, I knew I wouldn't have fun. Still shoulda gone. D'oh!

John Battles said:

Any Ramones show , tho' I was late for the party, particularly ,The Ramones , Iggy Pop and The Dickies , Aragon Ballroom , 1988. The RAMONES HAD AN AWFUL MIX , AND WERE ONLY GIVEN ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO PLAY , But to see a three bill band like THAT , WHEN mURPHY'S lAW DICTATES , THE MORE YOU LIKE THE HEADLINER ,THE WORSE THE OPENING BAND IS GONNA BE (Tho ' there are exceptions.).

Mongul said:

First: The Ramones at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ May 29, 1991

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 22, 2013 2:10 PM CST
    • Any Ramones show , tho' I was late for the party, particularly ,The Ramones , Iggy Pop and The Dickies , Aragon Ballroom , 1988. The RAMONES HAD AN AWFUL MIX , AND WERE ONLY GIVEN ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO PLAY , But to see a three bill band like THAT , WHEN mURPHY'S lAW DICTATES , THE MORE YOU LIKE THE HEADLINER ,THE WORSE THE OPENING BAND IS GONNA BE (Tho ' there are exceptions.).

Mongul said:

First: The Ramones at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ May 29, 1991

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 22, 2013 1:47 PM CST
    • First punk show: Marginal Man w/ Angry Red Planet - 1986 Detroit Graystone Ballroom

Best show....too many but The Cramps w/ Guitar Wolf circa 1997 was pretty good.  The Supersuckers w/ The Gaza Strippers circa 2001 was great....tons more.....

• January 22, 2013 1:35 PM CST
    • If memory serves, The Firm first show.  I dont know if I could classify it as "the best" show ever.  But if I could go back and see on again it would be GG at the Fastlanes in NJ.  He played two years in a row.  Total nuttiness and hysterical.

• January 22, 2013 2:06 PM CST
    • The Jan. 20th Show!

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130120-0030-t13586...

The setlist:

Davie Allan and the Arrows- Invasion of the Body Surfers

Guided By Voices- King Arthur the Red

Guided By Voices - Have a Jug

Amy Gore and Her Valentines- Send Me a Postcard

The Bell Peppers- Golf Shack

Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Psychedelic Pill

Gov't Mule- Rocking Horse

Ravi Shankar- Discovery of India

Ravi Shankar - Vandanaa Trayee

Ananda Shankar- Streets of Calcutta

Cornershop- The 911 Curry

The Dave Brubeck Quartet- Take Five

Charley Patton- A Spoonful Blues

R.L. Burnside- Don't Care How Long You're Gone

Sonny Landreth- Native Stepson

Dub Trio- En Passent

Nickodemus- Under the Volcano

The B-52's - Ultraviolet

• January 22, 2013 2:02 PM CST
    • I wish this wasn't an april fools joke. I would be really curious to see how it would sound. Still waiting for Drake and Ty Segall to work together.

• January 22, 2013 1:55 PM CST
    • I do think Alice Cooper should be inducted in the RRHOF, for the simple reason that he is the missing link between The MC5 and Sabbath or TheMisfits.

• January 22, 2013 2:48 AM CST
    • Cool, thanks for the link. I don't know where I heard it was just Cooper himself. I'm glad they all made it in. It's also nice that the induction is allowed to cover both the man Alice Cooper and the band Alice Cooper. It's good to know that in between inducting Madonna and not inducting Beefheart, they actually managed to do something right, haha.

ted cogswell said:

I'm pretty sure the induction covers both the work of the original group as well as the solo career under the same name. Members inducted according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website are: Alice Cooper (vocals; born February 4, 1948), Glen Buxton (guitar; born November 10, 1947, died October 18, 1997), Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards; born March 16, 1948), Dennis Dunaway (bass; born December 9, 1948), Neal Smith (drums; born September 23, 1947). http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

• January 22, 2013 2:00 AM CST
    • I'm pretty sure the induction covers both the work of the original group as well as the solo career under the same name. Members inducted according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website are: Alice Cooper (vocals; born February 4, 1948), Glen Buxton (guitar; born November 10, 1947, died October 18, 1997), Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards; born March 16, 1948), Dennis Dunaway (bass; born December 9, 1948), Neal Smith (drums; born September 23, 1947). http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

• January 22, 2013 1:08 AM CST
    • I didn't realize that. That's very cool. They deserve to be in there.

I could maybe see inducting Vincent Furnier too, for his solo career, which had its moments ... but Vince & the original band definitely deserve it more than Vince on his own. It's awesome they got in.

ted cogswell said:

The original Alice Cooper group was inducted, not just Vince. 

B.B. Fultz said:

I forgot about the Wildcards ...

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (sorry, but Prog Rock IS drastically underrepresented in there ... it's a far cry from Garage, but it's still a kind of "Rock & Roll," at least peripherally, so ELP and King Crimson gotta be more reasonable choices than Mad Donna or Public Enema)

BE BOP DELUXE (probably the most criminally underrated band of the 70s)

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (Alice is in there already, but pretty much as a solo act ... the original 1969 to 1974 line-up -- Bruce, Buxton, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith -- deserves its own separate induction) 

THE DICKIES

WENDY O. WILLIAMS & THE PLASMATICS

• January 22, 2013 12:14 AM CST
    • The Yardbirds have been in for a long time. But the Dolls and Pretty Things? Nope. 

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

I can think of two who should be in: The Yardbirds and the New York Dolls. Oh, and the Pretty Things.

• January 22, 2013 12:12 AM CST
    • The original Alice Cooper group was inducted, not just Vince. 

B.B. Fultz said:

I forgot about the Wildcards ...

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (sorry, but Prog Rock IS drastically underrepresented in there ... it's a far cry from Garage, but it's still a kind of "Rock & Roll," at least peripherally, so ELP and King Crimson gotta be more reasonable choices than Mad Donna or Public Enema)

BE BOP DELUXE (probably the most criminally underrated band of the 70s)

THE ALICE COOPER GROUP (Alice is in there already, but pretty much as a solo act ... the original 1969 to 1974 line-up -- Bruce, Buxton, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith -- deserves its own separate induction) 

THE DICKIES

WENDY O. WILLIAMS & THE PLASMATICS

• January 21, 2013 6:45 PM CST
    • Hey John, are you familiar with Blue Coupe? They're not very well known -- basically they're the Bouchard brothers Al and Joe, from the original Blue Oyster Cult, plus bassist Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group. I saw them at a local record store a couple years ago -- they alternated between BOC and old Cooper songs. They played the old classics raw and dirty, and everything they did sounded awesome. Somehow they actually pulled off "Black Juju" with just three guys and it still kicked all kinds of ass. If you get a chance, check them out. http://www.bluecoupeband.com/ There's also a few vids of them on YouTube lately.

They're really cool guys. By a stroke of luck the record store manager was an old friend, and he let me in early so I got to hang out with them and hear band stories. The Bouchards told me about how Alan Lanier was semi-hooked up with Patti Smith (who collaborated with them on Agents of Fortune). And when Patti ran off to go with Fred Sonic Smith, Lanier followed her, allegedly planning to threaten Fred with a gun. Unfortunately Lanier forgot you can't take guns through the airport so he was detained there and BOC had to go get him out. Dennis Dunaway told me about the Alice Cooper group aka Nazz back in the 60s, and how they all wanted to be the Beatles, or failing that, the Yardbirds. He even told me a little about the infamous "mudshark incident" documented by Zappa, allegedly involving Vanilla Fudge. Then singed my Pretties For You LP. There was more stuff that I'm forgetting now, but I do remember they were a blast to hang out with. Definitely one of the more memorable nights of my life.

• January 21, 2013 6:17 PM CST
    • Well , we're working on that. If I can just get enough backers , we're going to open a Prohibition era - style "Speakeasy" in New York  , serving Super Big Gulps . Opening night could feature Madonna in her new performance as Iggy's old lady's foot rest , resting her foot as far , and as often , up Madonna's ass as it will go.

B.B. Fultz said:

I would actually pay money to see that.

John Battles said:

Even IF he'd wanted to , his old lady would have put her foot so far up that woman's ass , there'd be  a mad rush to queue up the drum machines , samplers and synthesizers to document Madonna's "New Sound" , something akin to Sylvester hitting on Geddy Lee's helium tank.

• January 21, 2013 6:14 PM CST
    • As for Alice Cooper the man vs the band, not sure of the specifics. The old band (minus Glen who died in '98 -- scratch that, '97) may well have played at it.

Unfortunately when people hear the name Alice Cooper these days, after 37+ years of him solo, 99% think of Vincent Furnier, not the original Nazz/Spiders/Earwigs line-up. You're probably right that they were all mentioned, but the reason I said it is, IMO I don't think Alice's solo career merits induction -- the '75 & on era mostly underwhelms me. Whereas the band era blows me away. 

To further complicate matters, Furnier had his name legally changed to Alice Cooper in '75, AND purchased the copyright to the band name to use it independently. He actually has to pay the other four annual royalties for continuing to use the "brand name" Alice Cooper.

I see what you're saying about the band being there, but personally if it were up to me, the nomination would've been specifically "Bruce/Buxton/Cooper/Dunaway/Smith" and not Alice Cooper proper, because for over 3 decades Alice Cooper has only meant Furnier and his less than stellar solo act (some of which was quite good, granted, but still ...). I just like to see the original band get their due as much as possible. I feel bad for those guys, breaking up right when they were finally starting to get #1 albums. Maybe I'm splitting hairs though.

• January 21, 2013 5:53 PM CST
    • I would actually pay money to see that.

John Battles said:

Even IF he'd wanted to , his old lady would have put her foot so far up that woman's ass , there'd be  a mad rush to queue up the drum machines , samplers and synthesizers to document Madonna's "New Sound" , something akin to Sylvester hitting on Geddy Lee's helium tank.

• January 22, 2013 10:03 AM CST
    • yeah ! 

i used to play this one with my surf/rocknroll band !! 

but now i need the pagans for my punk band !! hehe

thanks  anyway

John Battles said:

Booze Party - 

FIRST YOU FILL IT UP , THEN YOU DRINK IT DOWN  , AGAIN YOU FILL IT UP , AGAIN , YOU DRINK IT DOWN.

EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN' , HAVIN' A TIME , UNTIL WE BRING OUT SOME OF THAT RED CHERRY WINE.      (CHORUS) BOOZE PARTY ! WINE ! WINE ! WINE ! THEY CRY , BOOZE PARTY ! WINE ! WINE ! WINE !

2) YOU TRY TO STAND UP , THEN , YOU FALL DOWN. OPEN UP YOUR EYES , AND THE ROOM IS GOIN' ROUND . EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN' , HAVIN' A TIME , UNTIL WE BRING OUT SOME OF THAT RED CHERRY WINE (CHORUS).

3) THREE IN THE MORNING , EVERYBODY'S FEELING FINE. AFTER ALL THEIR DRINKIN' (AFTER ALL , THEY'RE DRINKIN' (?) ) THAT RED CHERRY WINE.

EVERYBODY DRUNK , JUST  - A LYIN' ON THE FLOOR . EVEN IF THEY WANNA , THEY COULD'NT FIND THE DOOR (CHORUS) LET'S DRINK A LITTLE , NOW !

(REPEAT 2) , (REPEAT 3).

• January 21, 2013 8:39 PM CST
    • Did you get the Classic 6?
      If so, what'ya think of it.

I first heard about Eastwood guitars when I was looking at a Hofner Club bass. Eastwood offered a $450 version that looked great. I was unsure about Eastwood and before I made up my mind they'd sold out and discontinued production. It must've been about the same time Hofner went back into production with a variety of price tiers.
      Since then I've only ever heard good things about Eastwood guitars.

• January 21, 2013 8:26 PM CST
    • At the end of last summer I saw Magic Trash at the Redwood in downtown Los Angeles. I'm gonna have to say they became my favorite local garage punk band that night. http://magictrash.bandcamp.com/