Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 1, 2013 6:49 PM CST
    • Depending where you are of course... I do all my lacquers with terrazoni in paris and I know he does plates as well - he worked for decca for 40 years - the company's name is Parelies and he is red hot. You give him an in mastered version and his touch is pure magic

• February 1, 2013 5:35 PM CST
    • Yea, I not necessarily opposed to having a person master, and another plate...but I would prefer it be within the same company, or an already established relationship.  Really, I'm looking for a very good vinyl plating service because essentially whomever is plating my music to vinyl, essentially is mastering (rendering the audio to its shape) Ultimately, this person/facility has a fair amount of control over the tonal sound of your record.  Can also affect the perceived volume of the audio material once on wax.  I'm still probably going to master myself or have another engineer master my record, but I've always been curious about this approach.  Thanks for responding!

• February 1, 2013 4:23 PM CST
    • I have no eye deer, but I wonder why you think it would be an advantage to have the plater do the mastering. It's not going to make any difference if they or someone else does it, is it? Just seems like you're limiting your options.

• February 1, 2013 1:38 PM CST
    • Hey,

The Swamis are starting to record their second record, and hopefully this time around we will be releasing vinyl. Probably going to go for LP, but a 7" or 10" are not out of the range of possibilities.  So before we have a bunch of finished tracks, trying to figure out our options regarding vinyl mastering/ plating of a record.  I have released 4 records, prior to the formation of the swamis.  But, in every instance I have or contracted someone to master for vinyl release and the pressing plant (URP, and a couple others) have done in house mastering/plating.  Wondering if anyone has used a company or individual that does a great job doing the plating (metal parts).  Not really looking for mastering the audio alone, because I would like the person mastering our record to be the individual plating our record.  Make sense?  Can you recommend anyone that offers this kind of services?  Just trying to figure these things out, when I mix the tracks I can follow the audio specifications (ie. most want highest peak at -3db) of the person mastering/plating.  Thanks for the help!

• February 1, 2013 3:31 PM CST
    • Joe is cool, always will be. But I recently found out his Dad was a low-level diplomat, and he went to boarding school! The Clash Sound  like the street, but were always pretty upper-middle class. Not to take anything away from the music.

John Battles said:

BUT , IT WAS EASY FOR STRUMMER , THO' I AGREE WITH WHAT HE SAID ,
       TO SAY THAT ABOUT THE STATE OF AFFAIRS IN WORKADAY AMERICA , WHEN THE CLASH WERE AT THE PEAK OF THEIR POPULARITY , OVER HERE , and could have sustained themselves very nicely on a 6 months to a year Visa , if they could have obtained one.... 

On the other hand ,between their own tour , The Who tour , The US Fest , plus that huge festival in Jamaica , 82 - 83 was A VERY busy time for The Clash in The Western Hemisphere..... I DOUBT IT MADE THEM THE GAZILLIONAIRES PEOPLE PERCIEVED THEM AS BEING.

I guess he'd already done his fair share of bitching about how things were'nt any better in Britain or on the continent.

dave said:

Brilliant. Also true.

John Battles said:

"This is America , where a man is free to do what he chooses. But , if he shows any individuality , he's fired. " Also Joe Strummer.

dave said:

"If you go and see a rock group, you want to see someone tearing their soul apart at thirty-six bars a second, not listen to some instrumental slush. Since '67, music has been chasing itself up a blind alley with all that shit."  -Joe Strummer

• February 1, 2013 3:06 PM CST
    • BUT , IT WAS EASY FOR STRUMMER , THO' I AGREE WITH WHAT HE SAID ,
       TO SAY THAT ABOUT THE STATE OF AFFAIRS IN WORKADAY AMERICA , WHEN THE CLASH WERE AT THE PEAK OF THEIR POPULARITY , OVER HERE , and could have sustained themselves very nicely on a 6 months to a year Visa , if they could have obtained one.... 

On the other hand ,between their own tour , The Who tour , The US Fest , plus that huge festival in Jamaica , 82 - 83 was A VERY busy time for The Clash in The Western Hemisphere..... I DOUBT IT MADE THEM THE GAZILLIONAIRES PEOPLE PERCIEVED THEM AS BEING.

I guess he'd already done his fair share of bitching about how things were'nt any better in Britain or on the continent.

dave said:

Brilliant. Also true.

John Battles said:

"This is America , where a man is free to do what he chooses. But , if he shows any individuality , he's fired. " Also Joe Strummer.

dave said:

"If you go and see a rock group, you want to see someone tearing their soul apart at thirty-six bars a second, not listen to some instrumental slush. Since '67, music has been chasing itself up a blind alley with all that shit."  -Joe Strummer

• February 1, 2013 2:58 PM CST
    • I don't know who that is , but Tex Edwards had a song about new (As of 15+ years ago.)  gun laws making gun - related suicide retroactive , meaning Kurt Cobain could live again. It was kind of abstract. OK , VERY ABSTRACT. The lyrics were later changed , to have nothing to do with guns or Kurt Cobain,.

Andy Climax said:

'Ha! Still alive you fat bastard!' Stewie Griffin after going back in time and stopping Kurt Cobain kill himself using Hagen Daas ice cream. Check it if you don't believe! Genius! Cannae get more punk than that!

• February 1, 2013 2:56 PM CST
    • Brilliant. Also true.

John Battles said:

dave said:

• February 1, 2013 2:54 PM CST
    • "This is America , where a man is free to do what he chooses. But , if he shows any individuality , he's fired. " Also Joe Strummer.

dave said:

• February 1, 2013 2:52 PM CST
    • Thank you , Chris.

Chris Henniker said:

That's the best on of the lot, it sums it up so accurately.

John Battles said:

" AH JUS' PLAY RAHK'N'ROLL MUSIC FOAH TH' KIDS TUH DANCE TEW. "
      Johnny Thunders. 
      Tim Napalm Stegall said:

"Rock 'n' roll is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's not supposed to be about taking a million fucking years to learn a million fucking chords on the guitar." - Johnny Rotten, 1977

"When your culture abandons you, create your own." Ira Robbins on punk rock, Trouser Press magazine, 1977

• January 29, 2013 6:13 PM CST
    • Haaaha, what a brilliant episode!! 

Andy Climax said:

'Ha! Still alive you fat bastard!' Stewie Griffin after going back in time and stopping Kurt Cobain kill himself using Hagen Daas ice cream. Check it if you don't believe! Genius! Cannae get more punk than that!

• February 1, 2013 3:24 PM CST
    • Show #408: "R.I.P. 2012, Part 4 of 4"

This week (plus the last 3 weeks) is my annual "R.I.P." show, where I pay tribute to all the musicians/artists/singers who died in the past year. I will play a track and give a brief bio on each artist featured as a tribute. This is PART FOUR of FOUR shows. I'll be covering 130 total artists of the 50's, 60's and 70's who died in the year 2012, in a four part show. I will be playing music chronologically by the artist's death and tonight's show covers September through December of 2012. So, tune in tonight and learn about the musicians and singers who died in the fall and winter of 2012, hear their story, and hear their music. Tonight you can hear music by: Sugar Boy & His Cane Cutters, Andy Williams, The Rivieras, Frank Wilson, R.B. Greaves, Big Jim Sullivan, The Hangmen, The Heartbeats, The Hombres, Terry Callier, Eddie & The Showmen, The Penguins, The Delfonics, Renaissance, The Cadillacs, Mickey & Sylvia, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Spirit, Ravi Shankar, Jimmy McCracklin, Iron Butterfly, Marva Whitney, The Mothers Of Invention, Fontella Bass, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical ... ref=stream
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• February 1, 2013 2:50 PM CST
    • Too Many People - The Leaves (Deadmoon did a great version , too).

"And the last thing I'll ever do , to prove that I'm a man like you is work from 9 to 5 , tryin' to keep myself alive , and worry just because that's what everybody else does , and  concentrate my time tryin' to make myself a dime , and wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die."

Lazy - Deep Purple.   Self - explanatory.

Teacher's Pet - "Then I got myself a real job. But , still I was a fucking slob. Killed my boss , he told me to get a haircut !" .........Then .....well , it gets better .

• January 30, 2013 7:46 PM CST
    • 5 to 9 by FIDLAR. Because nobody in the band has a 9 to 5. It's not exactly taking it "easy", but it is about shirking responsibility, drinking and recreational drug use.

• January 30, 2013 9:17 AM CST
    • Everybody hates the daily grind. Some people hate it enough to sing about it. Mojo Nixon for instance has "Ain't Got No Boss," The Pleasurelegience," and a host of songs about drinking and recreational drug use. What are your favorite songs about shirking responsibility, and just basically takin' 'er easy like The Dude would do?

• January 31, 2013 8:38 PM CST
    • i don't like deep voiced women as a general rule , but I do like Gale Garnett.

To Tersicore: I saw Mary Woronov , once , and it was embarrassing. She did a question and answer thing , and people asked her the stupidest questions imaginable , like  "Which members of The Ramones did you have sex with?"   "NONE!!!!!" .....Then , someone asked , "Which members of The Velvet Underground did you sleep with?"   She said , "Well , of course , NONE ! But , Nico asked me if I'd like to sleep with her , and she was a beautiful woman , but , I don't like women , so , I said , no.

• January 31, 2013 3:57 PM CST
    • What happens when a label like Lookout goes bust? I mean with most independents that are successful they get bought out and then the majors sit on the back catalogue until some kind of cult revival makes it worth re-releasing some album.

Where do all the rights to the records go?

• January 30, 2013 4:02 AM CST
    • Yeah, I also dug a lot of the LOOKOUT stuff, Smugglers, Donnas, Phantom Surfers... all are the shit.

Thinking of it, Kepi Ghoulie was just in town, playing solo. But I wasn't, so...

• January 30, 2013 2:35 PM CST
    • This is not a new record, but I want to write about it because -in my opinion- it might be the best record ever to come out of Copenhagen.

doesn't have much to do with garage - this is punk that makes you wanna ride your bicycle as fast as possible into a tree, just for the action. it's so pumped with energy- its impossible to get bored.

originally released in 2002  you might still be able to find one from the repress in 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8atJQn1GY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5L-nPAuh8

• January 30, 2013 2:29 PM CST
    • Hi! Nice to find another Cheater Slicks and Cramps fan.

Sixties Garage Girl!!! said:

"https://soundcloud.com/slania-cavewoman My SOUNDCLOUD account send me a private message if you want fallow me in HELL! 3;-)"

• January 29, 2013 7:53 PM CST
    • For our practice space, we were initially happy with a low-end drum kit we got from Craigslist (about $150-200) after we had tuned up the heads. 

Later on, when we upgraded the cymbals with set of new Zildjians (about $200), the difference was incredible.

This suggests $300-350 is a good range

-A

THEE DIRTYBEATS maximum vintage garage
      http://www.theedirtybeats.com

• January 29, 2013 4:48 PM CST
    • That must have been the first time they played out. I appreciate what they're doing...putting the ol' 70s fantasy/myth/space back into metal (where it should always be). Lots of metal bands are doing that recently. So, their first album came out in 2006, and Apocryphon just came out in 2012. Here's the Veil of Isis (Is she taking crack rock/black rock and then coming back to avenge herself afterwards or using magical powers on pancho man before?.. Beavis and Butthead need to review this video)... The Sword - The Veil of Isis

dave said:

Thanks for the links, always looking for good metal.

The Sword instantly got a great rep. in Austin, God, it must be like 9 or 10 years ago. Nice.

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

I hope I'm not repeating something someone else said, but in terms of actual stoner RAWK which I LOVE......

The Sword here: The Sword - Freya

High on Fire - Thraft of Canaan: High On Fire - Thraft of Canaan

Okay, this is full on doom metal, but this particular tune by Goatwhore, gets the stoner drum breakdowns: Goatwhore - Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult

I guess I'm showing all my cards. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE stoner, metal and yesss doom (how can you not like doom and say you like metal?).... oh yeah, Louisiana (Goatwhore), Texas (The Sword) and California (High On Fire)..

• January 29, 2013 4:17 PM CST
    • Thanks for the links, always looking for good metal.

The Sword instantly got a great rep. in Austin, God, it must be like 9 or 10 years ago. Nice.

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

I hope I'm not repeating something someone else said, but in terms of actual stoner RAWK which I LOVE......

Okay, this is full on doom metal, but this particular tune by Goatwhore, gets the stoner drum breakdowns: Goatwhore - Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult

I guess I'm showing all my cards. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE stoner, metal and yesss doom (how can you not like doom and say you like metal?).... oh yeah, Louisiana (Goatwhore), Texas (The Sword) and California (High On Fire)..

• January 29, 2013 3:46 PM CST
    • I hope I'm not repeating something someone else said, but in terms of actual stoner RAWK which I LOVE......