Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 26, 2013 1:01 AM CST
    • I still need to get mine someday...

• January 25, 2013 10:34 PM CST
    • Well , specifically , in The US. I KNOW THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN HUGE IN EUROPE. It's just always been cool to call 'em a Music Machine wannabee in the clothing department (When their look leaned just as heavy on The Cramps and The Ramones , I always thought.). So , they don't sound like they're playing guitar with their dicks , and Rudi can sing  ,  that makes 'em BAD? In the 80's , Garage meant , copy Pebbles songs ,or Brit R'n'B ,  not much else. Today , it means all kinds of things that have NOTHING to do with Garage , and some things that do. Rudi's still doing what he 's always done , the way The Cramps and The Ramones still did their thing , dig it or don't.        

Tersicore said:

Hey John,

"It's never been cool to like The Fuzztones" Where??
      Do you mean here in GHP? or in the USA? 
      In Europe is always been cool to love The Fuzztones and we still love them!!
      And I´m sure I can speak for the most.
      They shaped a whole generation here. Me included! :)
      ..and their gigs are still great!!

John Battles said:

Yeah , exactly. I'm not saying everything Childish did was shit , but , he was the "Garage " act that people who know nothing about this music gravitated toward in the 90's , in particular. A couple of carefully curated comps , like the one Sub Pop did , might cast him in a better light , but he did more records than Frank Zappa 20 years ago.

Chesterfield Kings , I liked to a point. They were always inconsistent , live. They could be great, or terrible. I never bought any of their records , except a bootleg from the first tour i saw them on , in '88.      Fuzztones , I still like. Maybe not everything , but "Salt For Zombies" was probably the best thing they ever did. It's never been cool to like The Fuzztones , which kind of makes me like them , more. There's very GOOD FOOTAGE On YOU tUBE  of their recent gig in Italy.   I kind of felt I was being put on with The Mummies , tho' I can take a joke. People take them seriously , now.   When I saw The Gories , in 1990 , opening for The Gibson Bros. , I was the only person standing in front of the stage . Everyone else was in the rear of the club.... I knew they were on to something , but their legend loomed larger in death. Now that they have reformed , they're playing to hundreds of people a throw, many too young to have seen them the first time around. And , they were kind enough to ask me to open for them , two years ago. I sort of felt like they must have , in 1990 , but , WE WERE ALL THERE TO HAVE FUN. There's still this innocence about The Gories. They are not Rock Stars , and they do not have a master plan. "It's Rock'n'Roll , and the message is DO IT ! TO IT !".
      dave said:

Can't stand the Fuzztones or Chesterfield Kings, in fact most 80s 'garage bands' just make me cringe. Didn't like new stuff 'til the Mummies/Gories for the most part.

Oh, and John, I'm with ya about the Childish thang. You could prolly make about 4 compilation LPs of related stuff, but jeez, enuff!

• January 25, 2013 3:50 PM CST
    • One more confession:
      I can´t stand Jazz-music!!
      Except for some influence in bands like Lounge Lizards or other few No-Wave bands.
      Mea culpa, sorry!

• January 25, 2013 3:39 PM CST
    • Hey John,

"It's never been cool to like The Fuzztones" Where??
      Do you mean here in GHP? or in the USA? 
      In Europe is always been cool to love The Fuzztones and we still love them!!
      And I´m sure I can speak for the most.
      They shaped a whole generation here. Me included! :)
      ..and their gigs are still great!!

John Battles said:

Yeah , exactly. I'm not saying everything Childish did was shit , but , he was the "Garage " act that people who know nothing about this music gravitated toward in the 90's , in particular. A couple of carefully curated comps , like the one Sub Pop did , might cast him in a better light , but he did more records than Frank Zappa 20 years ago.

Chesterfield Kings , I liked to a point. They were always inconsistent , live. They could be great, or terrible. I never bought any of their records , except a bootleg from the first tour i saw them on , in '88.      Fuzztones , I still like. Maybe not everything , but "Salt For Zombies" was probably the best thing they ever did. It's never been cool to like The Fuzztones , which kind of makes me like them , more. There's very GOOD FOOTAGE On YOU tUBE  of their recent gig in Italy.   I kind of felt I was being put on with The Mummies , tho' I can take a joke. People take them seriously , now.   When I saw The Gories , in 1990 , opening for The Gibson Bros. , I was the only person standing in front of the stage . Everyone else was in the rear of the club.... I knew they were on to something , but their legend loomed larger in death. Now that they have reformed , they're playing to hundreds of people a throw, many too young to have seen them the first time around. And , they were kind enough to ask me to open for them , two years ago. I sort of felt like they must have , in 1990 , but , WE WERE ALL THERE TO HAVE FUN. There's still this innocence about The Gories. They are not Rock Stars , and they do not have a master plan. "It's Rock'n'Roll , and the message is DO IT ! TO IT !".
      dave said:

Can't stand the Fuzztones or Chesterfield Kings, in fact most 80s 'garage bands' just make me cringe. Didn't like new stuff 'til the Mummies/Gories for the most part.

Oh, and John, I'm with ya about the Childish thang. You could prolly make about 4 compilation LPs of related stuff, but jeez, enuff!

• January 25, 2013 3:24 PM CST
    • Cute, it's got that inept feel to the music, be good wit some Norton novelty stuff.

Love the video and the Super-8 look.

• January 25, 2013 1:33 PM CST
    • Not sure if this has proven you wrong mate, but wot a tune and band.

dave said:

I think most (but not all) music made since Bush stole the Presidency is crap, esp. in various punk genres. (It's just a handy reference point :D )

And yes, I would love to be proven wrong.

Been some killer metal, though.

• January 25, 2013 12:32 PM CST
    • I think most (but not all) music made since Bush stole the Presidency is crap, esp. in various punk genres. (It's just a handy reference point :D )

And yes, I would love to be proven wrong.

Been some killer metal, though.

• January 24, 2013 8:14 PM CST
    • That's a very diverse cross - section of stuff to not like. In a majority of cases , but , not all of them , I agree wholeheartedly. Ofcourse , I have to ask , what kind of band calls themselves Animal Collective or Neutral Milk Hotel? Or LCD Soundsystem ? I dunno.

Alison said:

I just don't like The Doors, Radiohead, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Who, The White Stripes, Neutral Milk Hotel, Robin Hitchcock, The Grateful Dead, LCD Soundsystem, Minor Threat, The Strokes, Doo Wop music, Half Japanese, the Mooney Suzuki, Wilco, Roxy Music, Animal Collective, Kiss, Pere Ubu, modern Rockabilly music, Bad Religion, Beat Happening, DMZ, Belle and Sebastian, Can, the Chesterfield Kings, ska music, Black Flag, They Might Be Giants, Elliot Smith, The Hives, the Blues Magoos, Pussy Galore, Cabaret Voltaire, AC/DC, the Residents, Big Star, the Dead Kennedys, the Yeah,Yeah,Yeahs, the Black Keys, Mark Sultan, Husker Du, Rap music, Pearl Jam, Captain Beefheart, the Dwarves, Led Zeppelin, or the Black Lips.

Whew! Nice to get that off my chest.

• January 24, 2013 6:46 PM CST
    • I just don't like The Doors, Radiohead, Elvis Costello, The Smiths, The Who, The White Stripes, Neutral Milk Hotel, Robin Hitchcock, The Grateful Dead, LCD Soundsystem, Minor Threat, The Strokes, Doo Wop music, Half Japanese, the Mooney Suzuki, Wilco, Roxy Music, Animal Collective, Kiss, Pere Ubu, modern Rockabilly music, Bad Religion, Beat Happening, DMZ, Belle and Sebastian, Can, the Chesterfield Kings, ska music, Black Flag, They Might Be Giants, Elliot Smith, The Hives, the Blues Magoos, Pussy Galore, Cabaret Voltaire, AC/DC, the Residents, Big Star, the Dead Kennedys, the Yeah,Yeah,Yeahs, the Black Keys, Mark Sultan, Husker Du, Rap music, Pearl Jam, Captain Beefheart, the Dwarves, Led Zeppelin, or the Black Lips.

Whew! Nice to get that off my chest.

• January 25, 2013 10:01 PM CST
    • Nice one. I think vinyl with download is the way to go these days. I seem to move a lot of unknown bands for OS here in Australia. It is expensive but 300 ain't a bad number. There's plenty of small distro's on the net you can approach.

• January 25, 2013 7:03 PM CST
    • All right all you garagepunk aficionados. My question is this. I just finished recording a rip your face off garagepunk session with the dRIVIN bEATS and I want to know what is the best format to release this monster upon the world?

Vinal; Coolest method but costly and how many pieces can I expect to sell?

CD; not as cool as vinal but cheeper and I ain’t no dady Warbucks if you know what I mean?

MP3 release; not cool at all and doesn’t make an impact visually but cheep?

I know this is a question that everyone is wrestling with these days.

What say you?   

• January 25, 2013 7:14 PM CST
    • There is a special drum clamp that on one end you attach it to the tambourine and the other attaches to the kick drum. when the beater strikes the head the tambourine sounds just slightly behind the beat. I've played as a one man band for years and this method really fills out your sound.

• January 25, 2013 7:10 PM CST

• Drew Starr said:

You just clamp it to the kick drum. When the beater hits the head it will cause the tambourine to do its thing.

Gonzo said:

How does he actually attatch it though ? Just a simple fix of duct tape ? I've only seen him once and never got close enough to see how exactly it's seated.

Kendal Killjoy said:

Desperate twisters is right about BBQ. But if its for home recording and not live playing live I recommend just overdubbing the tambourine separate cuz sometimes I want tambourine on off beat instead, plus with the BBQ method the tamb can tend to get slightly off n really muck up your rhythm and since it is so high frequency it will be super obvious. Hey, mark sultan overdubs so I don't feel it breaks any rules. For an example of a tambourine being off the ENTIRE song check out kk @ BBQ's "love you so" from the s/t release. Awesome track but goddamn is that tambourine on its own rhythm!

• January 25, 2013 6:47 PM CST
    • That is fucking awesome news. Bring it on

• January 25, 2013 6:42 PM CST
    • Yes! the In The Red - "coming soon" is just not enough.

I WANT! I WANT! I WANT IT NOWWWW!!!

• January 25, 2013 6:29 PM CST
    • These are all I have in my car at the moment. Have come across so many great bands ie - The Amputees & some where I've been reminded that I need more of their catalogue ie - The Bloody Hollies.

• January 25, 2013 5:16 PM CST
    • It's sad when independent labels go bust. I always thought the name and logo were a bit silly, but it was a good reflection of the bands and general sound of the day.

• January 25, 2013 10:30 AM CST
    • Gotta say, as much as my tastes have changed, I still consider OpIvy to be one of my favorite bands. They were the gateway to better music for me. Lookout! may have been dormant for a while, but still sad to see them go for good. Unfortunate.

• January 25, 2013 9:22 AM CST
    • Lookout! was like a gateway for me in the 90's. I still have a Screeching Weasel key chain in my pocket but mostly out of laziness. They had a good run.

• January 25, 2013 2:49 PM CST
    • Show #407: "R.I.P. 2012, Part 3 of 4"

This week (plus the last 2 weeks, and the following week) is my annual "R.I.P." show, where I pay tribute to all the musicians/artists/singers who died in the past year. I will play a track and give a brief bio on each artist featured as a tribute. This is PART THREE of FOUR shows. I'll be covering 130 total artists of the 50's, 60's and 70's who died in the year 2012, in a four part show. I will be playing music chronologically by the artist's death and tonight's show covers May through September of 2012. So, tune in tonight and learn about the musicians and singers who died in the end of spring into the summer of 2012, hear their story, and hear their music. Tonight you can hear music by: Hawkwind, The Platters, Head West, The Yellow Balloon, Kevin Ayers & The Whole World, Kitty Wells, Deep Purple, Boffalongo, Zoot, Los Shakers, Raven, Jimmy Jones, The Duprees, Killing Floor, Scott McKenzie, The Poets, Joe South, The McGuire Sisters, Sir Douglas Quintet, and many others!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical ... ref=stream
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• January 25, 2013 2:22 PM CST
    • Would HIGHLY recommend Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, a great stoner band from the UK. Very inspired by Black Sabbath but are able to hold their own without ripping them off. These are off their debut LP which is a concept album about a sadistic priest who has an affection for hunting and torturing witches, pretty heavy stuff. 

• January 25, 2013 10:31 AM CST
    • Off the new album. Stunnah!

• January 24, 2013 8:49 PM CST
    • Well said. Come on ,Tarquin ! Let's go see a Horror picture! I hate when mum and Da fight like this!!
      Yeh , Da's just pissed off cos mum keeps calling him Whistling Bill Smith!
      Chris Henniker said:

It's a shame that the backing band gets left in the lurch, for their contribution gets overlooked. Especially when a big name is inducted, like Gene Vincent. I bet the committee is just a load of vested interests on the verge of a punch-up, like The Modern Parents are when organising a peace gathering.

• January 24, 2013 5:29 PM CST
    • But , they refused to accept the induction. Good on ya , lads.

Joey Ramone's Mom and Brother were'nt even given his award , so it was presented to them in a private ceremony YEARS later.

Ted said:

Sex Pistols have been inducted...I think they were inducted in 2005 or 2006 I believe.

Andy Climax said:

Syd Barrett, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders and John Peel, Dick Dale, Bo Diddley, Sex Pistols, King Kurt, Robert Johnson for starters thanks..... Oh and a Lux Interior waxwork at the Glittery curtained entrance, welcoming everyone in.

• January 24, 2013 7:25 PM CST
    • @dumfuk

Hey, just wanted to check; anything new on that radioshow?

cheerio